What Really Grinds Your Gears? - Page 49

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39414243444546474849

Thread: What Really Grinds Your Gears?

Reading my own work. I'm such a negative self-critic of my own writing.
    Brandon, assuming you aren't irrationally smashing every word on the paper, this is actually a positive. It means you are capable of discerning your own work's bad qualities, which is the first step to improvement. This is a valuable talent, a talent I myself am somewhat lacking in.
    Nail it to the Cross

Quote Originally Posted by BornForBurning View Post
    Brandon, assuming you aren't irrationally smashing every word on the paper, this is actually a positive. It means you are capable of discerning your own work's bad qualities, which is the first step to improvement. This is a valuable talent, a talent I myself am somewhat lacking in.
    Thank you BFB. It is nice to hear that. I definitely do try to look at it as a positive trait now you mention it. I used to not be able to see anything wrong with my work when I was younger, but I now find myself criticising my own work and knowing it is far from perfect.

It also has helped me to grow. In a short space of time I feel that my descriptive writing has got a lot better. Being able to take criticism on the chin now is something I am glad I learned.

There are times when I'm really happy with what I wrote, but re-reading it too much makes me think it is really bad. I think that is just a case of me spotting more minor details.

Morning routine videos on YouTube. Most of them are completely unrealistic and are only there to show off how much better someone's life is than yours. No, I don't want to hear you talk about your green smoothies and Pilates class. Just let me eat my cereal and contemplate my life in peace.

Comparing my novice writing skills to authors I admire. I keep comparing my writing to a standard that I am far and away from achieving yet. It helped me set a goal in the quality of prose I want to achieve, but every time I look at my own writing I always get annoyed. Comparison is the death of joy, and I keep sending it to the ER.

Quote Originally Posted by estranguerro View Post
    Comparing my novice writing skills to authors I admire. I keep comparing my writing to a standard that I am far and away from achieving yet. It helped me set a goal in the quality of prose I want to achieve, but every time I look at my own writing I always get annoyed. Comparison is the death of joy, and I keep sending it to the ER.
    Awareness is the mother of excellence, head for maternity Very few writers achieve a high standard with their first write, editing is everything. Worth reading through a few crits (Not the ones that simply say 'I like this') to get practice in seeing how things can be adjusted. I know it has helped me tremendously.
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

People not wearing their masks properly. If you are going to wear it below your nose, what is the point!

Has anyone else noticed how really gross commercials are becoming, especially the ones for personal products? I've seen most and even though Bears don't wear pants and they sure as heck don't poop on a toilet and use the softest paper ever - and the "down there" ads referencing an area we all have - this last one takes the cake.

It's an actual product, which focuses entirely on women's bottoms and the words "wedgie pickers," and "butt puckers," were really used in the ad to convince us that we would not only look so much better with this product in our pants, but we would never have to hide our ministrations in dark hallways or empty elevators again. Yikes - talk about TMI! And like toothpaste ads of the past, we'll probably all be much more popular and have lots of dates. LOL!
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    Has anyone else noticed how really gross commercials are becoming, especially the ones for personal products? I've seen most and even though Bears don't wear pants and they sure as heck don't poop on a toilet and use the softest paper ever - and the "down there" ads referencing an area we all have - this last one takes the cake.

It's an actual product, which focuses entirely on women's bottoms and the words "wedgie pickers," and "butt puckers," were really used in the ad to convince us that we would not only look so much better with this product in our pants, but we would never have to hide our ministrations in dark hallways or empty elevators again. Yikes - talk about TMI! And like toothpaste ads of the past, we'll probably all be much more popular and have lots of dates. LOL!
    Keep the remote handy and hit the mute button for adverts. Half an eye tells you when to come back from the forum. One is only left with the mystery of what the blue liquid leaked from women is? Antifreeze?
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Keep the remote handy and hit the mute button for adverts. Half an eye tells you when to come back from the forum. One is only left with the mystery of what the blue liquid leaked from women is? Antifreeze?
    that made me laugh out loud! The color choices are limited - red, absolutely not. Yellow - ick. Green - mmm, no. so there's blue. But still - yeah, antifreeze is good. LOL!
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Questions aked on the forum when no context is given. Example:

Two men each on opposite sides of the road, in the middle the number 6 at 90 degrees to the kerb. The two men walk towards each other, one askes

"What number is that"

"Six" says the other, "What number do you think it is?"

"It is obviously nine, I can see that it is nine."

"Don't be stupid, it is clearly six, I'm looking right at it."

Which of the two is correct? Without context it is impossible to say.
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.