What Really Grinds Your Gears? - Page 3

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: What Really Grinds Your Gears?

People who let their kids run wild in stores (a couple of times nearly knocked down my wife (she was using a cane). Connected, people who underestimate her intelligence (doctors, tradesmen, salesmen especially in those big hardware places) simply because she's of a "certain age" and she's, uh, female.

Lately, the heat here in Texas. You can call it global warming, climate change or what not but I'm tired of it. It's still in the mid-nineties. Connected, the simple labels the media uses to name a complicated issue. Climate is always changing, it's just usually very slow. Also connected, people who refuse to change their mind about issues despite evidence to the contrary.
    "Put not your trust not in princes, in the children of men,
    in whom there is no salvation."
    Psalm 146

Timely, isn't it?

People who spell "definitely" as "definately" or "defiantly." I always want to say, "It's 'definitely.' See the "finite" in it, dum-dum?"

"Your a looser." This one drives me crazy. Bunch of losers!
    Sometimes, I wrestle with my demons. Other times, we just snuggle.

People who begin sentences with "so". "What do you make here?" "So we make computer chips." "What did you think of the game?" "So I thought it was a bit dull."
    Jesus effing Christ on a hoverboard going too fast round the corner and meeting a semi coming the other way! "So" has to be qualified, doesn't it? "We were late so we missed the train" or "It's a bad neighbourhood to walk through at night so we took a taxi." In general, you can't begin a sentence with so. But every-effing-one is doing it now. Drives me over the edge.

And people who say "As I say" when they're not referring back to anything. Footballers are the worst offenders over here.
    "How do you think you played?"
    "As I say, we had our chances but didn't take them."
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

* How I get sucked into YouTube or something else distracting and waste time. I used to pride myself in a long attention span, but to my dismay I can feel it shortening. Yikes!

* Self doubt when it comes to writing, be it in the project, the prose, or anything in between. Can't say it's very helpful.

Blog Entries
    It’s 1am on a Tuesday and my neighbors are having a loud party, just blasting the stereo. We’ve called the non-emergency dispatch 3 times now, and this is still going on!

What really bugs me is when I go to a website to read an article and the popups take up so much space, it's nearly impossible to read it. Multiple videos are playing at the same time and one of them has the audio on, but that one's not in the window, so you have to mute your volume to shut it up, and then when you scroll, the browser rearranges everything so you forget where you were.

I have Javascript turned off for most news websites because of that, which allows me to read sites like the NY Times and Washington Post without subscribing, so they screw themselves. You don't see a lot of the multimedia crap and some of the formatting is off, but it's a hell of a lot better than having all that crap playing while you're trying to read.

I cannot stand adults that constantly say how unfair things are, or how they are never treated fairly, or how they'd get a Nobel Prize if only the judges weren't unfair.
    It sounds like a 12 year old..."Waahhh, it's unfair! Why am I in trouble, Joe did something just as bad...it's unfair!"

I'd have soldiers say that things weren't fair, and I'd say, "Fair?! Fair is where you go to eat cotton candy and step in monkey shit!"
    Sometimes, I wrestle with my demons. Other times, we just snuggle.