What Really Grinds Your Gears? - Page 34


Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 24262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 395

Thread: What Really Grinds Your Gears?

  1. #331
    Patron Foxee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Right outside your window. Hello!
    Posts
    8,639
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Glad about that. My mother had a favourite cartoon of a woman talking in the background and a man with a book, a pair of scissors and a wicked smile in the act of cutting the wire to his hearing aid.
    Must be good to be able opt out sometimes.
    Ha, my great-grandmother totally did that with being able to see. She had cataracts and she had surgery but still wore very thick glasses and insisted that she couldn't see well. God forbid you were within her line of sight from two rooms away snitching a cookie, she could see just fine then.

  2. #332
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxee View Post
    Ha, my great-grandmother totally did that with being able to see. She had cataracts and she had surgery but still wore very thick glasses and insisted that she couldn't see well. God forbid you were within her line of sight from two rooms away snitching a cookie, she could see just fine then.
    I had cataracts, the surgeon explained they have a library of lenses and had selected the best ones for my eyes. I am slightly astigmatic so still wear glasses, but I am not short sighted anymore. I have been wearing them since I was a kid and it is really strange when I take them off and can still see pretty well.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

    A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

  3. #333
    We had to go to a store today. We followed the little markers of where to stand in line so as to be the recommended space apart from others. Then we had to wait at the counter for the clerk to straighten something out for us. No less than four different people passed right by behind us, close enough to touch. As if the whole space idea didn't apply if they were passing by rather than standing there. Stupid.
    Last edited by Ma'am; March 26th, 2020 at 09:34 PM.











  4. #334
    I can just hear them "But I was behind you!"

    It's like the guy doing a three point turn in the middle of the fast moving main road, "But I had my hazards on!". Yeah, that's another thing, you are not supposed to have them on when you are moving! That grinds my gears. I wonder if they are the same people?
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

    A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

  5. #335
    TV shows and movies where the police drive everywhere with lights and siren on.

    The only time you use your emergency equipment while moving is to signal a vehicle to pull over, or to clear traffic ahead of you on an emergency call, ie, where lives are in danger and a fast response is essential.

    You don't go to make an arrest with lights and especially siren going; for one thing, you don't want to warn the suspect you're coming.
    Never pet a burning dog.

  6. #336
    The theory is good, but years ago I used to work serving in a petrol station for a bit. It was bang opposite a police station and every night about half four a police car would cone down the road with blues and twos on. Call me cynical, but I reckon their shift finished about five

    An ex ambulance man I worked with said they used them on the way to a 'shout, but with a qualified ambulance man there the emergency was usually past and they went back to the hospital without them.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

    A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

  7. #337
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    The theory is good, but years ago I used to work serving in a petrol station for a bit. It was bang opposite a police station and every night about half four a police car would cone down the road with blues and twos on. Call me cynical, but I reckon their shift finished about five

    An ex ambulance man I worked with said they used them on the way to a 'shout, but with a qualified ambulance man there the emergency was usually past and they went back to the hospital without them.
    To be clear I was referring to US police,but yeah, there's a thousand uses fora siren. Like lighting it off behind a fire station at 2am.

    We always tested the lights and siren at the start of a shift.
    Never pet a burning dog.

  8. #338
    When people try to claim moral credit they don't deserve.

    The latest thing I see around the 'net (not here) is people letting everyone know that they ordered a pizza or other restaurant food "to support their local businesses." Um no, you got restaurant food because you didn't feel like cooking. You know, just like you always did. When you donate a meal to the homeless, call me.











  9. #339
    "Chinese virus", "Wuhan flu". It's looking round for someone else to blame. China got on top of their infection far quicker than those pointing the finger with less loss of life and with no previous experience to draw on. Don't blame them, learn from them. Oh, and it was about a week ago they sent a medical team and a load of much needed supplies to Italy, haven't seen them getting much credit for that, well, I'm cheering them.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

    A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

  10. #340
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    "Chinese virus", "Wuhan flu". It's looking round for someone else to blame. China got on top of their infection far quicker than those pointing the finger with less loss of life and with no previous experience to draw on. Don't blame them, learn from them. Oh, and it was about a week ago they sent a medical team and a load of much needed supplies to Italy, haven't seen them getting much credit for that, well, I'm cheering them.
    TheflugotawoprldwidelegupbecausetheChinesedelayedr eportingthesituationtointernationalagencies.

    Their cultural habit of minimizing failure and embarrassment makes any of their statistics highly unlikely.

    Given that Italy's problems (and NYC's) stem from Chinese illegal immigrants brought in for the fashion industry (from the Wuhan region), they need all the goodwill they can get.

    Currently Chinese companies are flooding the markets with fake hand sanitizer.
    Never pet a burning dog.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.