What Really Grinds Your Gears? - Page 11

Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: What Really Grinds Your Gears?

Another thing that grinds my gears is when you invite friends to supper they won't take the hint you are tired and knackered (After 6 hours) and go home. How do you politely tell these people to go?
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    Another thing that grinds my gears is when you invite friends to supper they won't take the hint you are tired and knackered (After 6 hours) and go home. How do you politely tell these people to go?
    It really does grind my gears that there often doesn't seem to be a polite way to stop impoliteness from others. It's easy to see how some people get used to plowing over everyone to get what they want- it works!

Anyway, I recommend flopping over and snoring. Maybe they'll catch on to that!

Lots of things grind my gears (my gears are thoroughly grindable) but lately it's been how at work, co-workers don't check the coffee cups to make sure they're clean out of the dishwasher. Actually had several complaints about that. I DO check, but it makes me look bad when I turn over a cup to pour coffee into and it's dirty. I mean, it's not hard, it takes literally one half second to check each cup. Laziness!

• other people's babies. "Would you like to hold the baby?" she asks, face glowing with love and happiness (obviously mistaking me for a NHB [Normal Human Being]). Baby is cross-eyed, twitching uncontrollably, and drooling some green goop it intends to projectile-vomit any second. "are you out of your fucking mind?" I reply grimly, backing towards the impromptu bar in the corner. Mercifully, I am not asked back.
    • out-of-control kids, their parents smiling indulgently as the little monsters toddle around the restaurant, wreaking havoc
    • immigrant drivers from villages where the only motorized vehicles are the trucks that bring in supplies from time to time. Many of these new drivers are a terrible hazard, sometimes a fatal one
    • 'empowered' millennials who cry if they're inconvenienced or reminded in any way that the world owes them only a few basic rights for deigning to be alive
    • WF members who receive a two-screen, detailed, professional critique that took well over an hour to prepare and who respond by ticking Thanks.
    • governments that forget how they got there and where their salaries come from

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

Blog Entries
    Easily offended people.
    If we can't speak honestly to one another, are we even really communicating?
    If we change the meaning of what we say to spare potential hurt, there is no future for a civil, functional society.
    Opportunities abound! Land and titles available! Be bold! Enquire now!
    See Cazique Gregor MacGregor of details.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    Easily offended people.
    If we can't speak honestly to one another, are we even really communicating?
    If we change the meaning of what we say to spare potential hurt, there is no future for a civil, functional society.
    Some people today believe they have the right to not be offended. What a frightening world they must live in.

Me, I can count of being offended within three minutes of leaving my house. It strengthens my resolve.

I'd say the first response to being offended should be a brief self-examination. Why were you offended? Is it because of some internal self-conflict or deficit that the offender couldn't possibly have known about? That's usually the case.

If not, then use it as an opportunity to take action. AND NOT ONLINE.

Me: "Have I offended you?"
    Her: "Uh.... No."
    Me: "Would you like me to?"
    Sometimes, I wrestle with my demons. Other times, we just snuggle.

When the other person at an intersection clearly got there first and I'm planning to make a left-hand turn right in front of them. So instead of sensibly just heading on their merry way when I stop, they try to wave me through. If I try to get them to go (since it's their turn anyway!) they still sit there and wave and blink their lights.

It's your freakin' right of way, just GO.
    What comes after the NaPo storm of poetry?
    Get ready for the
    May 2021 Collaborator Challenge.

Send your potential partner a fruit basket and start begging!

Days when things just don't go well. Not just one or two things but just about everything.
    Last edited by Ma'am; November 20th, 2019 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    Days when things just don't go well. Not just one or two things but just about everything.
    Yep. Stop the world I want to get off, days
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content