problems that I'm having with my 17th century Hard Fantasy setting

Thread: problems that I'm having with my 17th century Hard Fantasy setting

problems that I'm having with my 17th century Hard Fantasy setting

Right now I'm having trouble with my 17th Century Hard Fantasy setting with some low magic specially with my Natives in my version of the New World.

First problem has to do with what type of chapters should I write?, a Character a Chapter or Third Person view?,

Second problem is that I'm feeling that most of my ideas now that I'm ripping off from somewhere else like the Video Game Greedfall.

Third Problem is I want to write Two series at the same time so to speak set in this setting, The First book set everything up so to speak, the First series is about the Thirty Year War in this setting while the Second is about the New World Colonies and the Native people.

LW

I would say post up some more info here. Then we can all help a little bit more. For example I am writing an alternate history series set in the 14th century filled with myths and magic. I can help out but I'm definitely going to need more to go on than what's said here. For example how many main characters are there? Are they all human? What's there motivation for going to the new world excetra.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

Quote Originally Posted by lwhitehead View Post
    Second problem is that I'm feeling that most of my ideas now that I'm ripping off from somewhere else like the Video Game Greedfall.
    If you feel like you're ripping off an idea, you are ripping off an idea.
    Deactivated due to staff trolling. Bye!

Blog Entries
    First problem has to do with what type of chapters should I write?, a Character a Chapter or Third Person view?,
    Third person is arguably easier for world building. Having a chapter per character may be tricky due to the limits of their scope and their individual voices.

You'll have to elaborate on "ripping off" --are you using the same story line? the same characters? or does your work simply incorporate similar themes or elements such as magic?

Third Problem is I want to write Two series at the same time so to speak set in this setting, The First book set everything up so to speak, the First series is about the Thirty Year War in this setting while the Second is about the New World Colonies and the Native people.
    Have you started either project? Don't bite off more than you can chew.

Welll I might bitten more then I can chew with this idea but as most you have known about me I can't think small, it's the Video Game Greedfall that inspired me with my 17th Century Hard Fantasy setting with some low Magic.

The Natives shown in the Video Game are shown to have Slate Houses that are dome shaped, there speech sounds like Gaelic with Native speech as well. Now Gurps tech level is 1 which is Bronze, but they don't how to Ethanol Fermentation or have Chariots.

Ripping Off ideas:

In Greedfall they have order of Inquisistion, and dress as Purtians well I liked the idea of an Inquisition mine is called Ore of Helios. The Natives called them the Burning Ones due to there Zeal and the fact that they Burn the Heretics and Natives that don't take the word of Sol Invictus

LW

Ripping Off ideas:

In Greedfall they have order of Inquisistion, and dress as Purtians well I liked the idea of an Inquisition mine is called Ore of Helios. The Natives called them the Burning Ones due to there Zeal and the fact that they Burn the Heretics and Natives that don't take the word of Sol Invictus
    Nobody will know your Ore of Helios is Greedfall's Puritan-dressing Inquisition unless you make them in exactly the same design, character, and plot.

I've never heard of it, but I'm sure you've heard the old adage, "There are no new ideas."
    "How can we know the dancer from the dance?" - W.B. Yeats
    Stories: Hidden Content l Hidden Content Hidden Content

Projects:
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by J.T. Chris View Post
    I've never heard of it, but I'm sure you've heard the old adage, "There are no new ideas."
    This I can attest to. Over half of my own ideas were influenced in some way or another by someone else's ideas. For example my Gods & Goddesses universe started out as a fanfiction but then became its own story over time.

Typically chapters signify a change in the story, either mood or direction of narrative. Sometimes I start a new chapter with the introduction of a new character (because they change the direction of the story.)
    There is no magical number of pages for a chapter, no standard size. Start a new chapter when the mood changes.

I agree with Scars: if you think you are being derivative then you likely are. but it's a video game so puck 'em, right?

Yeah, I'd write a book and see how that does. If it flops then there is no sense writing the next one.
    Not only may you lose interest in the project, but writing both at the same time is a little like trying to lay the first layer of bricks six feet in the air.
    Start laying bricks at the foundation and work your way up.

LW

I will personally go down on record saying that originality is dead. Original stories are a thing because each of us brings out own talent to any given work but as for original ideas, yeah the bucket is pretty much empty there.

As an example I have a villain in my Science Fantasy novel that has had plant d.n.a fused with his human d.n.a. This gives him super strength, speed, durability and a rapid healing factor. To make matters worse for our hero all of these abilities get amplified when this villain is out in broad daylight seeing as the sun helps amplify all of his plant derived abilities.

But the point that I'm trying to make is that this idea is not original. Can anyone else think of a super powered being that derives there power from the sun?