Can someone explain a word I keep hearing? Agape? Agapay? It sounds like uh-gop-pay..

Thread: Can someone explain a word I keep hearing? Agape? Agapay? It sounds like uh-gop-pay..

Can someone explain a word I keep hearing? Agape? Agapay? It sounds like uh-gop-pay..

The word is mentioned at the 1:15 mark.

https://youtu.be/2Us0ui6c3Lk?t=62

I've heard this word thrown around a few times in casual interviews among celebrities on podcasts in the past. It phonetically sounds like "uh-gop-pay." Kinda like agave, but with a "p" instead of a "v."

Is it some kind of slang among social, outgoing people?

"Agape" as it's spelled can mean two totally different things. It's a similar situation to "The dove dove through the air" or "He read a book I liked to read."

Agape (uh-gape) means "wide open."
    Agape (uh-gop-pay) is one of about a million words for "love."
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Blog Entries
    Yey!! I learned a new word today! Agape! I'll have to see how I can use that in a sentence.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

Yep, it's a Greek word for love, specifically unconditional ("covenant") love. The noun form first appeared in the Greek translation of the Old Testament, and is used to mean God's love for humanity.
    "So long is the way to the unknown, long is the way we have come. . ." ~ Turisas, Five Hundred and One

"[An artist is] an idiot babbling through town. . .crying, 'Dreams, dreams for sale! Two for a kopek, two for a song; if you won't buy them, just take them for free!'" ~ Michael O' Brien,
    Sophia House

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

Quote Originally Posted by cinderblock View Post
    The word is mentioned at the 1:15 mark.

https://youtu.be/2Us0ui6c3Lk?t=62

I've heard this word thrown around a few times in casual interviews among celebrities on podcasts in the past. It phonetically sounds like "uh-gop-pay." Kinda like agave, but with a "p" instead of a "v."

Is it some kind of slang among social, outgoing people?
    As others have said, it's a word for "love". I was taught that there were five different words for love in one of the old biblical languages. I've no idea if this is true, because those people also taught me a load of garbage about religious doctrine too. I don't recall what the other four were but it would make sense to have different words for different types of love, because the one word, love, must do a lot of work across a wide variety of meanings.

The Septuagint strikes again.
    Dead by Dawn!