Musty's bands that didn't make the cut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musty's bands that didn't make the cut

Talking Musty's bands that didn't make the cut

Soon I will be starting my ranking of my favorite 100 musical artists but let’s face it, I like a lot more than just 100 bands and artists, so this thread will be devoted to those that didn’t make the cut. Maybe I’ll change my mind in a month, but as of September 13, 2019, these artists are somewhere down the list, yet they deserve some mention. Like the Early Influences thread, I’ll leave links so you don’t lose your place later.

TY SEGALL
    GRATEFUL DEAD
    CONCRETE BLONDE
    ENYA
    EDDIE COCHRAN
    THE LOVIN SPOONFUL
    THE SURPREMES
    THE SHANGRI LAS
    THE BEAU BRUMMELS
    THE DEAD MILKMEN
    Last edited by mrmustard615; October 4th, 2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: adding links in thread
    Hidden Content

Hey, check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

And if you're into music, check out the brand new Hidden Content Hidden Content

TY SEGALL (Retro rock, psychedelia)

Best Albums: Sleeper, Melted, Goodbye Bread

Best Songs: Sleeper, Girlfriend, Thank God For Sinners, She Donít Care

In an era when youíre an anomaly if you release two albums within only three years of each other, Ty Segall has been one of the most prolific musicians of the millennium. He has recorded as many as two albums in any given year and he has recorded with a number of bands throughout his career. Not especially well known, he has made a niche of recording psychedelic rock that sounds like it could have come out in the glam era early seventies. Iíd say he comes closest to Alice Cooper without the shock value but that would probably be unfair to both. He also came very close to making my top 100 but he would miss the cut (damn you Joe Strummer!). From Laguna Beach, California, he began playing in bands around San Francisco. He began recording after being befriended by one of Thee Oh Sees, a retro garage band from San Francisco and the rest is history.

Review: What can I say? Iím a sucker for retro rock and Segall is perhaps the best at it. Though not really a glam rocker, I could see Segall competing with the likes of Ziggy Stardust era Bowie and Alice Cooper, again without the shock value (though now that I think of it, his Goodbye Bread album cover does look pretty shocking ). Heís mostly heavy psychedelia without the heavy metal characteristics. Heís probably my favorite artist of the 2010s along with Father John Misty.

Links to albums:

Melted
    Goodbye Bread
    Sleeper

Rating: 8/10

Thanks to Wikipedia for information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Segall
    Hidden Content

Hey, check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

THE GRATEFUL DEAD (Psychedelic, Country-Rock)

Best Albums: Workingman’s Dead, American Beauty, Anthem of the Sun

Best Songs: Box of Rain, Truckin, Creampuff War, That’s It For the Other One

With perhaps the most devout group of fans in all of rock, the Grateful Dead were known for their long jams and shows. Their fans, affectionately known as Deadheads, would follow them to venues all over the United States. Native to San Francisco, they originally called themselves the Warlocks before changing their name to the Grateful Dead. They signed with Warner Brothers and released their first album in 1967 with mixed reviews. They would fare better with Anthem of the Sun a year later and with Aoxomoxa in 1969. With their two albums in 1970, Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty, they found their niche as the ultimate country-folk based rock band and the Deadheads have followed them since. The Dead and their base took a blow when their leader, both musically and spiritually, Jerry Garcia, died in 1995. The band disbanded but the survivors would get together in frequent reunions, something that goes on to this day.
    Review: For me, they are the proverbial girl with the curl. They honestly don’t impress me in the early days but their two 1970 efforts, Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty, are excellent albums, two of the best from that year. After that they have their high points and low points, but it’s safe to say I’m not a deadhead. I have an enormous amount of respect for them though.

Links to Albums:
    The Grateful Dead
    Workingman’s Dead
    American Beauty
    Terrapin Station

Rating (out of ten): 6

Information sites:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead
    https://www.dead.net/biography
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustard615 View Post
    Review: For me, they are the proverbial girl with the curl. They honestly don’t impress me in the early days but their two 1970 efforts, Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty, are excellent albums, two of the best from that year. After that they have their high points and low points, but it’s safe to say I’m not a deadhead. I have an enormous amount of respect for them though.
    The songwriting team of Allan Hunter and Jerry Garcia wrote an incredible amount of great songs. IMO, they rival the Beatles in that respect. I agree that Workingman's Dead was their best album. American Beauty has some great songs, too, but some of it is a little too polished--the harmonies a bit too sweet, and it lacked the rawness of Workingman's Dead, but it does contain some of their best songs such as Ripple, Friend of the Devil, and Truckin'.

Their Europe '72 is IMO one of the greatest live albums ever produced. They were peaking at that point after the release of the two albums mentioned above. There are some videos of them on YouTube from around that time.

Go to Heaven, released in 1980, was a good album with the tracks Alabama Getaway and Althea standing out. A lot of their other albums had one or two gems. The were like The Band in that respect.

CONCRETE BLONDE (Modern Rock, eighties/nineties)

Best Albums: Concrete Blonde, Free, Bloodletting
    Best Songs: Still In Hollywood, Joey, Happy Birthday, Dance Along the Edge

From the dark underworld of Los Angeles came Concrete Blonde, led by the sultry Johnette Napolitano. She and James Mankey formed Dream 6 in 1982. Four years later the band signed with IRS records and changed their named to Concrete Blonde. They released their debut album towards the end of that year featuring the punk rock anthem Still in Hollywood and the introspective Dance Along the Edge. Their next two albums, True and Bloodletting met with considerable commercial success. Their heavy sound mixed with their more introspective ballads like Joey made Concrete Blonde one of the more interesting bands of the late 1980s/early 1990s. They would break up in 1993 but would reunite on several occasions.

Review: I’ll have to a more extensive review on their albums individually since I’ve only listened to one album all the way through; that was the debut album which is in my collection. That particular album I find rather brilliant. I have heard their subsequent material by way of radio mostly and you can hear the slight moderation into a more commercial sound. Caroline, for example, sounds like standard 80’s hard rock fare in my opinion. Still, they could still come up with a quirky gem like Happy Birthday or a forlorn love song like Joey. This is band I like quite a bit.

Links to albums:

Concrete Blonde
    Free
    Bloodletting

Rating (out of ten): 7.5

More information can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_Blonde
    Hidden Content

ENYA (New Age)

Best Albums: Watermark, Shepherd Moons, A Day Without Rain

Best Songs: Orinoco Flow, Carribean Blue, It’s in the Rain

I’m certainly not a new age fan in the classic sense but there is something about this artist that I like. She has a fantastic voice and the songs have such great melodies. A former member of the Irish band, Clannad, Enya writes her own music while Roma Ryan writes the lyrics. She has scored several hits in ths US such as Orionco Flow and Only Time, which was played as one of the songs commemorating the 9/11 attacks. She is the second largest selling artist in Ireland next to U2 and has sold 75 million records worldwide.

Review: I guess it’s safe to say Enya is an acquired taste but at her best, she comes up with some great melodies and is one of the most haunting vocalists I know. She’s someone I listen too when I’m a more introspective mood. Definitely a recommendation for New Age fans.

Links to albums:

Watermark
    Shepherd Moons
    A Day Without Rain
    Amarantine

Rating (out of ten) : 7

Official Enya page:
    https://enya.com/
    Hidden Content

EDDIE COCHRAN (Rockabilly, Early Rock n Roll)

Best Albums: The Eddie Cochran Memorial Album

Best Songs: Summertime Blues, C’mon Everybody, Somethin Else

One of the legendary early rock n rollers, Cochran was known for his unique rockabilly style. His most popular song, Summertime Blues, later covered by Blue Cheer, the Who, and the Flying Lizards among others, is still considered one of rock’s staples. Legend has it that Paul McCartney impressed John Lennon with his own rendition of Twenty Flight Rock. He would become popular in England as well. He was on tour there with Gene Vincent in 1960 where he would tragically die in a car accident. We’ll never know what music he could have created but he left us with a decent catalog of influential songs.

Review: Some of my favorite songs from the fifties are from this guy. I especially like Summertime Blues and Somethin Else. Like Buddy Holly, we’ll never know what potential he might have reached in the 1960s, but his best material in the fifties stand up to artists like Elvis Presley and Chuck Berry. A little inconsistent at times, but that was typical of most of the artists from that era. I like Cochran a lot.

Links to music:

Twenty Flight Rock (From the Girl Can’t Help It)
    Summertime Blues
    C’mon Everybody
    Something Else
    Teenage Heaven

Rating (out of ten): 8

Eddie Cochran Page

https://eddiecochran.info/
    Hidden Content

THE LOVIN SPOONFUL (Sixties, folk, Goodtime Music)

Best Albums: Hums of the Lovin Spoonful, Daydream, Do You Believe in Magic

Best Songs: Summer in the City, Rain on the Roof, Coconut Grove, Younger Girl, Didn’t Want To Have To Do It

The Lovin Spoonful emerged from the Greenwich Village folk scene in the 1960s. John Sebastian and Zal Yanovsky formed the group after being in a folk band called the Mugwumps. Steve Boone and Joe Butler rounded out the band and they would sign with Kama Sutra records in 1965. They were known for their good timey style of folk rock, and Sebastian more or less introduced the autoharp to rock. They scored a string of hits from 1965 to 1967 with songs like Do You Believe in Magic and Summer in the City. Sebastian would leave the band in 1968 and the Spoonful folded soon after but they remain one of the musical influences of the sixties.

Review: I probably had this band in my top 100 at one time but since I’ve included some more recent artists, they have since slipped out. Still, at their best, they’re as good as any pop band from the mid sixties, and Summer in the City remains one of my favorite all time songs.

Links to music:

Do You Believe In Magic
    Daydream
    Summer in the City
    Nashville Cats
    Rain on the Roof

Lovin Spoonful on Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lovin%27_Spoonful
    Hidden Content

THE SUPREMES ( Motown, soul)

Best Albums: Where Did Our Love Go, More Hits By the Supremes, Reflections

Best Songs: Reflections, Stop in the Name of Love, Love is Like an Itchin In My Heart, Love Child, You Keep Me Hanging On

Of all the acts in the Motown stable, The Supremes (later Diana Ross and the Supremes) were the most successful and for a time, only the Beatles had more commercial success. They started out as the Primettes which also featured two future Temptations. They got the attention of Smokey Robinson, already a mover and shaker at Motown, and began to record a string of singles as the Supremes, Kendrick and Johnson having moved on to the Temptations. They had little success at first but finally hit it big with Diana Ross’ breathy lead on Where Did Our Love Go, the first of their twelve number one singles. They became the biggest commercial success in Motown’s history and Diana Ross, in particular, has become one of the biggest diva’s in pop music history.

Review: For me, the Supremes are a mixed bag. At times, they don’t impress me all that much and Diana Ross honestly doesn’t impress me at all. Still, there are times such as in Stop! In the Name of Love and Love Child where they hold up with the best of any artist including my actual Motown favorites, The Temptations and Stevie Wonder. Love Child is an example of an attempt by the Supremes (or perhaps Berry Gordy) to be socially relevant but I sense that The Temptations (who hated that label) and Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye (who both embraced it) would wear that cross a bit better. In any event, the Supremes are certainly a decent listen at worse and pretty impressive at best.

Links to music:

When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes
    Stop! In the Name of Love
    Reflections
    Love Child
    Someday We’ll Be Together

Rating (out of ten): 7

The Supremes on the web

https://classic.motown.com/artist/the-supremes/
    Hidden Content

THE SHANGRILAS (girl group, sixties pop)

Best Albums: Leader of the Pack

Best Songs: I Can Never Go Home Anymore, Remember (Walking in the Sand), Leader of the Pack, Give Him a Great Big Kiss

One of the great girl groups in the sixties, The Shangrilas were known for their teen melodramas such as I Can Never Go Home Anymore and Give Us Your Blessing. They had a tough girl persona unlike the other girl acts at the time. Hired by record producer George “Shadow” Morton, the girls had a string of hits from 1964 to 1966. They couldn’t maintain that success into the later sixties and tragedy would befall the Ganser twins in particular, but their teen anthems remain popular among oldies aficionados.

Review: There is a punky vibe with these girls. No, they weren’t a garage band by any means and they certainly had their handlers to contend with, but they also had attitude; these were not tender flowers to contend with. There are probably a half dozen other songs outside of the best songs that I would give solid ratings too. It’s sad they could not have been able to progress as the sixties wore on.

Links to music:

Remember (Walking in the Sand)
    Leader of the Pack
    Give Us Your Blessings
    Out in the Streets
    I Can Never Go Home Anymore

Shangri-Las on the Girl Groups Fan Club web page
    http://ggf.tripod.com/shangrilasbio.html
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast