When does a band stop being the band

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When does a band stop being the band

When does a band stop being the band

Just watched status quo at Hyde Park on tv but the only original member was one of the guitarist...to me it's not the same..now watching main act pet shop boys...the original line up
    The only one who can heal you is you.

I agree. INXS is a great example. When Michael Hutchence died, they turned out another album called, "Switch," but it was pretty lousy. Linkin Park just quit. Ditto, Nirvana. Fleetwood Mac without Stevie Nicks is no longer. On the other hand, King Crimson has members rotating in and out all the time.

Some bands can evolve but few seem to pull it of when the lead singer departs...best example AC/DC...worst Queen

That's because King Crimson is basically Robert Fripp and friends for want of a better analogy.

I think a great example of a band not being the same would be the Who after Keith Moon died. Their output after that isn't all that impressive and it got worse after John Entwistle died. Townsend and Daltrey should stop giving up the oldies act and retire or try something that doesn't have the Who trademark.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

The who the first band were people went to see the drummer...often being talented on an instrument makes them irreplaceable...would some bands have made it without them even though they don't sing..the who had a drummer and base like no other...the stones without Keith just don't seem right...

Then you have Floyd. Debate (sorry! I know that's a dirty word here!) will rage on about whether they were the same after ol' Roj left, but for me A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell are still fine albums, and I think Gilmour did a fine job stepping into the control freak's shoes. On a less well-known/famous note, Marillion experienced a seismic shift in 1988 with the departure of lead singer and frontman (though not founder) Fish, but came back stronger with their new guy, Steve Hogarth. And of course Genesis after Gabriel. Yeah. Well. For a while, anyway. Lizzy without Lynott? No. Queen without Freddie? Uh-uh. And as already noted in my thread about them, Iron Maiden without Bruce Dickinson lacked something.

Also, who said Stevie had left Fleetwood Mac? Last album I heard (Say You Will) she was still with them...
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

Yeah, but for several years, Stevie Nicks was doing her own thing, and I liked her solo stuff, too.

Van Halen without David Lee Roth... Meh... Sammy Hagar was fine, but not with Van Halen.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    Yeah, but for several years, Stevie Nicks was doing her own thing, and I liked her solo stuff, too.

Van Halen without David Lee Roth... Meh... Sammy Hagar was fine, but not with Van Halen.
    Ah yes, I like her solo material too. But she did that in tandem with being in the band. Not quite the same. Phil Collins made solo music while still in Genesis. And so on.
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

I think it all depends on who is running the show and who is the main song writer. If there is one person running the show (e.g. Alice Cooper or Vincent Damon Furnier if we want to be technical) or if there is one person writing all the music (E.g. Annihilator's Jeff Waters) then it doesn't matter how many people leave the band as it's mostly a one person show.
    I threw a glance at humankind and saw them treacherous and feeble.
    Severe judges, cruel, unkind and fools who are always close to evil.
    Before their frightful, anxious mob, indifferent hate forever rages.
    Not learnt the lessons from the ages!
    What use are wise and tempered words?
    "Sometime, in my sweet blindness" - Pushkin

According to the courts, when Waters left the band, the remaining members were free to use the name Pink Floyd. He had sued to block them but was unsuccessful.

Sometimes it works out, sometimes not.
    The Doors sank like a brick after Jim died.
    AC/DC continued to sell albums (though they became somewhat of a SpinalTap band after Bonn died.)
    Sublime actually got better when they got a new lead singer. Different, but better.
    Van Halen became Van Hagar without David. Personally I thought Van Hagar stunk the place up.
    Black Sabbath was better with Dio.
    The Beatles were better without Tony Sheridan.
    The Crickets were just a buncha rednecks without Buddy.
    Tina did pretty well without Ike.
    Skynard became a cover band after VanZandt's death.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast