How NOT to uses Social Media

Thread: How NOT to uses Social Media

How NOT to use Social Media

I’ve said it before, and it bears repeating… Social Media can be an effective tool for building your author brand and increasing visibility of your books. In my last post on this topic, I suggested joining social media groups that include your books’ target audience and periodically share valuable content. This time, I want to caution folks to be careful about how they use social media.

Below are a few “No No’s” that I learned the hard way:

1) Avoid posting a hard sell (“BUY MY BOOK!”). This is a common rookie mistake and may result in a being banned from the group. Even if you are not banned, most folks will view your message for what it is -- unwanted spam!

2) Avoid posting too often, especially in a quiet FB group with few members. In other words, try not to hog all the attention in a small group by filling up their page with your posts.

3) If you write valuable content to share with multiple social media groups, be sure to consider the particular audience of each group before posting. You might need to tweak your message to better appeal to some groups.

I hope this marketing tip helps. What social media mistakes have you learned from?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	social media pic around earth_pixabay 09132019.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	24420
    Last edited by Mikeyboy_esq; September 13th, 2019 at 08:58 PM.
    Mikeyboy_esq
    Check out my books for authors including SMART MARKETING FOR INDIE AUTHORS and 14 STEPS TO SELF-PUBLISHING A BOOK.
    Hidden Content

I see a lot of writers make the mistake of endless marketing.
    They relentlessly promote their 3 year-old book even tho it has long since played out.

If you are gonna market via social media, then you will get the most effect by focusing on the pre-sale & book launch. Sell while it's hot, and once it's not, don't spam people ad nauseum.

Ralph,
    Good point!

And that makes me wonder about my own book's life cycle and when they will eventually become obsolete. My 3 books are all non-fiction and I have no idea of their shelf life. My first book about college teaching tips should remain fairly relevant for a long time or at least as long as college students still take classes in person (if colleges ever go to online only, then my book will become almost worthless). I'm sure my book about the process of self-publishing might become obsolete whenever the self-publication industry changes significantly (who knows when), but I updated it last December to make it current and I'm hoping it will last for a least a few more years. Both of those books have enjoyed consistent sales. Ironically, my latest book (about book marketing) has not enjoyed the same level of sales as my first 2 books. So I'm still waiting to figure out what it will take to make it a strong seller (but it's in a crowded market, so it may realistically never hit the same level of sales as my other books).

What kind of shelf life do most fiction books enjoy? Does it just depend on the following that the author gets? Or perhaps it depends more about how popular your fiction book's genre is?
    Last edited by Mikeyboy_esq; September 13th, 2019 at 09:38 PM.
    Mikeyboy_esq
    Check out my books for authors including SMART MARKETING FOR INDIE AUTHORS and 14 STEPS TO SELF-PUBLISHING A BOOK.
    Hidden Content

When I say 'played out' I don't mean relevance.
    When you launch a book, the sales follow a parabolic arc; they climb, peak, then fall to near zero.
    The reason for this is the Amazon algorithm. It is fed by traffic, reviews, and sales.
    But you can only feed the beast so long before it plays out and the arc plunges downward.
    Once it is played out, you float deeper & deeper in the ocean of books.

Marketing after your book has played out is a little like Wile E. Coyote trying to jump as he plunges to the bottom of the canyon.

Ralph,
    That is interesting. I haven't noticed my sales following a parabolic arc yet. Not sure if that particular sales trend you speak of is common for all books or just fiction. Mine are nonfiction if that matters.
    Mikeyboy_esq
    Hidden Content

What do you think the best way to be active on social media is without being annoying? I've picked up a couple of things on youtube, but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Rat View Post
    What do you think the best way to be active on social media is without being annoying? I've picked up a couple of things on youtube, but I'm not sure.
    I recommend posting meaningful content, including:

• Tips from your nonfiction book,
    • Illustrations/short stories about characters in your fiction book,
    • Links to relevant articles, blogs, or memes related to topics in your book,
    • Milestones such as your first 1,000 book sales or latest book award,
    • Upcoming book signings or speaking engagements, and
    • Occasional book giveaways or price promotions.

In short, post anything that your readers will enjoy or find helpful. I try to post something at least once or twice a week. I hope that helps.
    Mikeyboy_esq
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyboy_esq View Post
    I recommend posting meaningful content, including:

• Tips from your nonfiction book,
    • Illustrations/short stories about characters in your fiction book,
    • Links to relevant articles, blogs, or memes related to topics in your book,
    • Milestones such as your first 1,000 book sales or latest book award,
    • Upcoming book signings or speaking engagements, and
    • Occasional book giveaways or price promotions.

In short, post anything that your readers will enjoy or find helpful. I try to post something at least once or twice a week. I hope that helps.
    I think the best promo is just being on there as yourself and interacting with people. You can get more followers just by talking to other people. Readers are smart: they know promo when they see it, so don't go on there as the author, but the person.
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

Hidden Content