words you hate? - Page 9

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: words you hate?

(are 'sorcerers' considered superior to 'sorceresses'?)
    There's no moral virtue or empowerment inherent to the word "sorceror", so creating a hierarchy there wouldn't matter anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying kid View Post
    There's no moral virtue or empowerment inherent to the word "sorceror", so creating a hierarchy there wouldn't matter anyway.
    Sorcerers aren't inherently powerful? Gee what a waste of magic.
    Deactivated due to staff trolling. Bye!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    Turgid. But fortunately, I've never heard anyone say it.

hah! I have, but only ironically.
    "When a child is abused, he or she will often internalise that abuse as deserved. It is a cruel reality that a child needs the parent so much, is evolutionarily programmed to trust them so implicitly, that when a parent is abusive the child will take the blame rather than completely upend their world and blame the person they depend on for survival." -velo

"Don't fuck with writers, we will describe you." -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Umree View Post
    Right? Pfft... "sugar" --like is it fructose or sucrose? Be specific​, you guys.
    Point taken.

The word I was referring to was..."s-u-p-e-r". Only saying the letters, not the word. Honestly, I hear that word everywhere, everyday. It drives me insane.
    Last edited by Arrakis; September 24th, 2019 at 04:42 AM.
    "The greatness of evil lies in its awful accuracy.
    Without that deadly talent for being in the right place at the right time, evil must suffer defeat.
    For unlike its opposite, good, evil is allowed no human failings, no miscalculations.
    Evil must be perfect, or depend upon the imperfections of others."

~Narrator of The Outer Limits

Overuse does not make me hate a word, but it does devalue it Watched a bit of 'Britain's got talent, the champions' and the word 'Awesome' got used so much that when someone came on whose abilities actually inspired awe there was nothing left to say but 'I am lost for words'. They weren't of course, but they were empty words.
    Hidden Content

A whole swathe of entertainment, all sorts of lengths, all sorts of stories, all with that 'Olly' twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Overuse does not make me hate a word, but it does devalue it Watched a bit of 'Britain's got talent, the champions' and the word 'Awesome' got used so much that when someone came on whose abilities actually inspired awe there was nothing left to say but 'I am lost for words'. They weren't of course, but they were empty words.
    Those shows are like an exhibition of superlatives and bad hyperbole.

"Passion" drives me nuts. It's everywhere, all the time, people going into job interviews at Burger King and talking about their 'passion' and you aren't allowed to question it without being made to look the asshole.

'Emotional', another one, when used to refer to one's state of being - 'it made me feel emotional'. Is there even a way you can feel something without it being an emotion? So how can you feel emotional? That's like saying 'it makes me feel feeling'. What emotion specifically is it? 'Emotional' is not a state, just say it makes you feel unstable. When people say they 'feel emotional' they are employing lazy language so they don't have to be specific about what they are feeling. I also dislike that it's generally painted as being undesirable, like human beings are robots and their emotions are their failings as opposed to their strengths.

Last but not least, my least favorite slice of bollocks is when people speak of 'feeling alive' - "I just felt so alive when I was with her." What in the name of pretentious arseholery is that supposed to mean? Nothing, it means nothing, it's filler.

Ah-ha, you're alive with a passion of emotional feelings about this then, Lucky?
    Hidden Content

A whole swathe of entertainment, all sorts of lengths, all sorts of stories, all with that 'Olly' twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Ah-ha, you're alive with a passion of emotional feelings about this then, Lucky?
    Olly, Iíve never felt so alive.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Olly, I’ve never felt so alive.
    But do you feel passionately emotional, or emotionally passionate? They are very different things, as the Mad Hatter might think and then say.
    Hidden Content

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789