words you hate? - Page 6

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: words you hate?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umree View Post
    So I bet you’re not down to kick it and get lit with the homies then?
    Geez, "kick it" and "homies" is slang from my childhood! I'm the old man on the porch now, I guess.
    "I don't do anything with my life except romanticize and decay with indecision."

"America I've given you all and now I'm nothing."

So I bet you’re not down to kick it and get lit with the homies then?
    *Gasp!* Boo, I'ma just bet he prolly not fit to get lit, ma bougie bae. I take it for granite that he's prolly too busy actioning a plethora of, like, awesome somethings ASAP with his creative juices or whatever. Obviously, his manhood's basically on the line, y'know.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    *Gasp!* Boo, I'ma just bet he prolly not fit to get lit, ma bougie bae.
    You should just leave.
    "I don't do anything with my life except romanticize and decay with indecision."

Quote Originally Posted by Squalid Glass View Post
    You should just leave.
    And you should scroll back on up dere, y'hear, 'cause I was just editing dat dere comment when you replied to it
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Blog Entries
    *Gasp!* Boo, I'ma just bet he prolly not fit to get lit, ma bougie bae. I take it for granite that he's prolly too busy actioning a plethora of, like, awesome somethings ASAP with his creative juices or whatever. Obviously, his manhood's basically on the line, y'know.
    How to successfully alienate all of WF in a single post, ladies and gentlemen!

Blog Entries
    And you should scroll back on up dere, y'hear, 'cause I was just editing dat dere comment when you replied to it
    You're slowly drifting from asinine Gen Z'er to southern hick.

How to successfully alienate all of WF in a single post, ladies and gentlemen!
    I try.

I'm every asshole; shit's all in meeeeeeeee! Anything you want ruined, bae-bae, I do it naturally (lubricated)!

Quote Originally Posted by Squalid Glass View Post
    You're slowly drifting from asinine Gen Z'er to southern hick.
    Via this thread, I've learned that dialect of every flavor pisses somebody off.
    Last edited by seigfried007; September 15th, 2019 at 03:33 AM.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do.
    Blog Entries
    Yah, well... (who can top that? Wait--shouldn'a of asked that!) ... moving on....

Like potato chips, I couldn't stop at just one:

#1 - words I hate
    I hate the word "hate." (Seriously!) Pair it "love" and it's a match made with passion and overuse.

"Oh-my-gosh, don'tcha just hate/love (who cares/whatever)?" It's *just* so shallow! (Sorry, Olly!) Used like this, it has no meaning.
    "I know! I love/hate that, too!" Egads. Choke me with a spoon.

Then, turn around and tell your boy, who loves ice cream, that you love him, too. Sure, he's sweet and all, but c'mon! There is a depth of meaning that the word love, say, in Spanish, holds in that language it can never hold in English. We cheapen it. We market it. "You'll love our sale!" Love is not a commodity! Neither is hate.

Nor is your boy.

Anyway. (Another meaningless word I happen to not hate but certainly do overuse.)

#2 - Megan's pet peeve
    I have a new phrase I absolutely despise. "No worries." Seriously? No worries? If I ask John (whoever John is), will this be ready for (for whatever we're getting ready), and John responds, "no worries," you bet I'm worried! Especially if it's my head that has to answer for why we didn't meet a deadline! It's a non-answer. It's rude and it about sends me into orbit when I hear it!

Sure, it communicates, but it communicates the wrong message. The problem is, when a factually-based question is asked and an emotive answer given, what's happening is we're speaking two different languages. I'm convinced the people who use this think that in using it they are presenting an air of competent reassurance to the questioner. However, when I need to know something, hearing a reply like this is akin to hearing "trust me" when the point is, if I had to ask then, clearly, the trust was not there to begin with! Tell me it will be done, or tell me that you need more time, but don't tell me "no worries!" Because then I have to re-ask my question, and if I really need an answer (which I did, because I asked), then I'm going to have to go into confrontation mode -- and we don't want that!

I've heard it twice this week. Once it was used benignly, to actually say "I agree," and the second time was to summarily dismiss something I was saying in a way that picked a fight. Look, if someone wants a fight, then arrghh, "no worries," matey ....! Forget the petition to vote "no worries" off the ship... to the plank it is!
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    'LOL 'The semi-English language'. Is that as spoken in semi-detacheds all over the land ?
    Spoken or written. It may be a regional peculiarity, but I don't hear it spoken much here in the Midwestern US.

Another word that I try not to use is 'thing'. My high school rhetoric teacher beat into our heads that every 'thing' has a name, or representative word and we should use that instead of 'thing'.
    Last edited by Terry D; September 15th, 2019 at 09:18 PM.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

It's two words, but I hate hearing "baby daddy". I mentioned that in conversation once and was accused of being racist, another word I hate. It's thrown around too easily and is sometimes followed by the speaker proclaiming that he or she "doesn't see color". This makes me vibrate with rage.

Baby daddy makes me picture a giant, adult-sized baby in flannel and work boots, drinking a beer with a rubber nipple on the mouth of the bottle.

Speaking of mouths, I hate the word "maw". I'm one of those insufferable animal lovers and it sounds so cruel to me. To put it in perspective, imagine overhearing your child's dentist say "Okay now, open your oral orifice."