words you hate? - Page 3

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: words you hate?

Some very personal choices here; I could imagine someone feeling that 'actioning' something has a creative nuance that merely 'starting doing' something misses, and personally I have no problem with words like 'penis' that accurately describe a body part, though it probably wouldn't come up in everyday conversation.

Now a mongrel word like 'Just' Arrrgh.
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    I have a 20-year old son who uses, "or whatever," in the middle of nearly every sentence.
    I used to work with this Israeli client who would do that, often in the most inappropriate of settings, and so much so that it became a bit of a meme between me and my friends. We'd be in a meeting with some fairly senior people, all putting our thoughts together and he'd say stuff like "Well we can do that or, you know, just like fucking whatever." I mean - he was a white collar techie, about a similar age to me - thirtyish or so at the time - and probably on the same pay grade. It just seemed so ludicrously outspoken. We worked with alot of guys from Israel and none of the others were like that. It just made me laugh. Those guys were a lot of fun actually, on a night out. Got so absolutely napled in a club in Tel Aviv with them that I missed the last flight of the week home and had to chill on the beach for two extra days because of that, which wasn't so bad. And this "like fucking whatever" guy was forever getting booted out of the various bars in London that I liked so I ... sort of ... stopped taking him anywhere. To be fair though I did actually get along with him pretty well. And others seemed to tolerate him, so who knows. I guess it worked. Great days, they were - proper jet-setting days

I just realised I can't remember his name. I can remember what he looked like though. He had that Zuckerberg / Eisenberg gene for sure, which may explain things somewhat.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

The first cut don't hurt at all
    The second only makes you wonder
    The third will have you on your knee
    s
    - Propaganda, "Duel"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

There are some words that I hate depending on the national origin of who is pronouncing it. I have a really cross-cultural life, so... native Arabic speakers don't have the letter "p" in their language, so my Egyptian friends say "Pastor" as "Baster" and that sounds embarrassing. Especially when "the Baster is braying."

I also have Brazilian friends who have a hard time starting words with the "es" sound. There is a technical religious word for end-time events -- eschatological -- but my Brazilian friends usually end up saying "scatological." Which sounds terrible to speak of the scatological coming of Jesus Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    Some very personal choices here; I could imagine someone feeling that 'actioning' something has a creative nuance that merely 'starting doing' something misses.
    Usually when I encounter it, its because the person who is 'actioning' is either to lazy or too duplicitous or too disorganized to be able to specify what they are doing. More often than not, its because they know it will be perceived as lackluster.

If I told you I had 'taken action on Peter's attendance issues' you have no idea what I am doing, and the language enables that cloud. You may know by context, but these words act as a heat-shield against the fiery reality. Am I firing Peter? Just talking to him? Don't know. I certainly don't know the exact unfolding of events and their impact, how it was handled, what was said/done. If I want to know, now I have to ask, and that has wasted my time and patience.

These words all have one thing in common and that is to dehumanize our lives. That is why they are rotten. It's not because they aren't useful, its because the uses they have are fundamentally bad for the world.
    Deactivated due to staff trolling. Bye!

Quote Originally Posted by shyla View Post
    There is a technical religious word for end-time events -- eschatological -- but my Brazilian friends usually end up saying "scatological." Which sounds terrible to speak of the scatological coming of Jesus Christ.
    Says you. That's always been my favorite part of Revelation.

They sound horrible to most people. You’ll see a variety of comedy sketches on this topic if you look a little.

I think it may also be due to the culture of innuendo surrounding sex. There is such a miasma of terms to use why present those ugly sounding abominations? Haha!

For me ‘vagina’ sound the name of some old aunt and ‘penis’ like Dick’s annoying little snot of brother ... maybe it’s just the way they feel on the tongue (Sorry, couldn’t resist! Y’gotta let me have ONE ... er ... I’ll stop! Haha!)

Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    I have no problem with words like 'penis' that accurately describe a body part, though it probably wouldn't come up in everyday conversation
    In writing a sex scene, penis would read odd to me too. Quite... methodical and 'innocent'. Penis is what my 8 year old would say, whereas as my older lads, they're all "Cock and balls, luv."

Quote Originally Posted by badgerjelly View Post
    For me ‘vagina’ sound the name of some old aunt and ‘penis’ like Dick’s annoying little snot of brother ...)
    Nah, Fanny's your Aunt in the UK, Vagina's just something for a comedy piece, along with women being the... Clitterati..., lol:

Language: Over 18s only... the Clitterati (I love this word, btw!)

"You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

the Clitterati
    sounds like an all girl pop group.

In writing a sex scene, penis would read odd to me too. Quite... methodical and 'innocent'. Penis is what my 8 year old would say, whereas as my older lads, they're all "Cock and balls, luv."
    I pointed this out to someone recently... so I am pleased you feel the same.

I can't recall the last time I heard the word 'penis' used in general conversation. My female friends often refer to the word 'todger' rather than cock or penis. I wonder if this a 'generation' issue?
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

You know what's worse than "penis"?

Here it goes: Manhood - "She eyed his swollen manhood with hunger".

Not only a terrible sounding word, but a threateningly patriarchal one - one that associates the idea of being a man with physical genitalia. Gross.

Oh, and "male member" takes a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    You know what's worse than "penis"?

Here it goes: Manhood - "She eyed his swollen manhood with hunger".

Not only a terrible sounding word, but a threateningly patriarchal one - one that associates the idea of being a man with physical genitalia. Gross.

Oh, and "male member" takes a close second.
    ditto "tumescence"

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

The first cut don't hurt at all
    The second only makes you wonder
    The third will have you on your knee
    s
    - Propaganda, "Duel"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous