words you hate? - Page 2

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: words you hate?

I have a 20-year old son who uses, "or whatever," in the middle of nearly every sentence. Drives me crazy to listen to him, but for the sake of communication, I don't chastise him for it. It still drives me crazy, though. I hate corporate-speak. "We will be lunching at the local restaurant, and Carl will be our guest speaker. He really thinks outside the box! He's a big brain on maximizing our profit-margins and really trimming the fat."

This shit makes my skin crawl. I ran a corporation for 17 years and never talked like that. Stupid, fat-assed, bloviating blowhard pseudo-communication. Grrrrrrrrr......
    Sometimes, I wrestle with my demons. Other times, we just snuggle.

Blog Entries
    I don't know about hate, but I find people who use the word plethora in conversation pretentious. Also, why can't people pronounce granted? Everyone always says "take for granite" --what??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umree View Post
    Everyone always says "take for granite" --what??
    #murica
    "When a child is abused, he or she will often internalise that abuse as deserved. It is a cruel reality that a child needs the parent so much, is evolutionarily programmed to trust them so implicitly, that when a parent is abusive the child will take the blame rather than completely upend their world and blame the person they depend on for survival." -velo

"Don't fuck with writers, we will describe you." -unknown

Any word that is used superfluously or frivolously can become hateful.

I have a special loathing for U.S corporate jargon. Using a word like 'alignment' in place of 'agreement' because it sounds fancier (and less involving of an autonomous human brain, probably not coincidentally). I despise ending requests with 'ASAP' (which in my opinion should stand for 'As Sent by A Prick') and idiotic terms like streamlining as a given.

I also really hate when people talk about 'actioning' something as opposed to just doing it: "Items on my schedule are ready to be actioned." It's a bullshit term that makes the speaker sound like a budget Power Ranger.

Pretty much anything that serves to erode the personality and creative nuance of communication is terrible.
    Last edited by luckyscars; September 13th, 2019 at 05:18 AM.
    Deactivated due to staff trolling. Bye!

Are these words that elicit real bone grinding hate or words that annoy you so you avoid using them?

I can't think of any words that make my blood boil and when it comes down to it in the end no word is fully off limits but I can't think of a situation where it would be necessary to absolutely be required to use certain words, in fiction anyway.

Words that annoy me most are words that start with com-, I don't like using words that remind the reader of things I despise and so I avoid using the com- prefix because it always makes me think of the word communist, and so, if another equivalent word is handy I would use it instead. That doesn't mean I won't ever use com- words, but reduce my usage of them to a bare minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    I hate the word awesome.
    I love the word awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    I hate "like."

Like, when (younger) people use it to, like, put a pause in a sentence or, like, you know, drone on and not actually say anything.

In writing I hate the massive overuse of the word in comparative phrases and avoid it all costs. "He looked worn and aged like an overripe prune." 'Like' and everything after it in that admittedly simplistic example are superfluous which is usually how I see this type of phrasing.
    When I was a kid my little sister would like, say like, like all the time. And, like, it would like, totally like... drive everyone nuts. So I like don't overuse the word like myself now.

Just the obvious ones for me ... ‘penis’ and especially ‘vagina’!

"creative juices." Ewwww.

Quote Originally Posted by badgerjelly View Post
    Just the obvious ones for me ... ‘penis’ and especially ‘vagina’!
    What's so obviously 'bad' about those words? What is this, the middle school playground?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    What's so obviously 'bad' about those words? What is this, the middle school playground?
    Those are clearly no-no words, frankly I'm shocked that so many are okay with using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'am View Post
    "creative juices." Ewwww.
    Don't forget 'natural lubrication'