words you hate?

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: words you hate?

words you hate?

Ken11 has started a 'your favourite/ most useful word' thread https://www.writingforums.com/thread...t-useful-words , but how about words you hate? Completely useless words? Words you dislike writing even in this thread?
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

I dislike swear words....I say them but I just don't like to read them
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Not one word but a pairing. Unless it's character appropriate, I intensely dislike the construction "off of". There's something about it that pisses me off in a way that goes far beyond those mere words.

Gasp.

If I could ban gasp from the English lexicon, I would. Then I'd bring it back, throw it down the stairs, trample on it, shoot it with a gun, then hire a hitman to finsh the job again. That goes for gasped, gasping, and gasps.
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Thanks, PiP, awesome choice.
    "Don't fuck with writers, we will describe you." -unknown

My blog- Hidden Content thoughts on trauma and healing through psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy

"When a child is abused, he or she will often internalise that abuse as deserved. It is a cruel reality that a child needs the parent so much, is evolutionarily programmed to trust them so implicitly, that when a parent is abusive the child will take the blame rather than completely upend their world and blame the person they depend on for survival." -velo

Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    Thanks, PiP, awesome choice.

even worse: absolutely awesome
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    This might sound a bit peculiar but I realised today that I'm not overly keen on the word father. Every time I write it, on my kids school forms for example, I get this feathery, moustachey, breathy feeling, like someone is leaning in a bit too close. I could say more but I just ... I mean, it sounds iffy enough as it is. I really have no idea where this aversion comes from. Well, actually I have some, but it's nothing to do with my actual dad. Apologies for any fellow f-, any male parents or guardians or for anyone who struggles with this word too for whatever reason.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

Blog Entries
    I hate "like."

Like, when (younger) people use it to, like, put a pause in a sentence or, like, you know, drone on and not actually say anything.

In writing I hate the massive overuse of the word in comparative phrases and avoid it all costs. "He looked worn and aged like an overripe prune." 'Like' and everything after it in that admittedly simplistic example are superfluous which is usually how I see this type of phrasing.
    "Don't fuck with writers, we will describe you." -unknown

My blog- Hidden Content thoughts on trauma and healing through psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy

"When a child is abused, he or she will often internalise that abuse as deserved. It is a cruel reality that a child needs the parent so much, is evolutionarily programmed to trust them so implicitly, that when a parent is abusive the child will take the blame rather than completely upend their world and blame the person they depend on for survival." -velo

One of my pet peeves is 'just'. It is usually unnecessary and rarely adds anything. I think it is a word from conversation that people stick in to give themselves extra thinking time, you don't need that with writing.

To illustrate

It is usually just unnecessary and rarely adds anything. I think it is just a word from conversation that people stick in to give themselves extra thinking time, you just don't need that with writing.

Three of them, and they don't add anything to the meaning. Then, speaking of meaning, it has so many different meanings, 'He just caught the bus'; was it that he was there only in the nick of time, or was it that catching the bus was the only thing he did, or possibly he caught the bus with no secondary intentions. In speech the intonation would probably tell you which (if any) of these were meant, in the written form it conveys nothing. Perhaps my dislike is not just, but I do just hate it.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast