Your favorite/most useful words

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite/most useful words

Your favorite/most useful words

What is/are your favourite word(s)? Add the meaning of the word(s) as well.

I think this could be a useful game, and a serious approach to it is more than welcome
    Last edited by Ken11; September 12th, 2019 at 10:46 AM.

Fuck/Fucking/Fucked/Fucker/Feck/Fock/Focker/Fack/Fudge/Fudgery/Framinghammassachusetts

101,054,105,399 different meanings and applications, all of them useful.
    Deactivated due to staff trolling. Bye!

Come on people, don't get discouraged (it's only luckyscars )
    Last edited by Ken11; September 12th, 2019 at 09:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    My favorite word is cascade
    I feel like most know what it means, but this is the official definition:

verb: pour downward rapidly and in large quantities.
    it can also be used as a noun, but I prefer the verb.

I like it because I first learned it while playing a Tetris game shortly after coming to the US. English was new to me and the word sounded strangely ornate yet accessible. It had this odd quality, I could tell what it meant just by pronouncing it. It felt like a very appropriate word to use when describing falling Tetris pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Umree View Post
    My favorite word is cascade
    I feel like most know what it means, but this is the official definition:

verb: pour downward rapidly and in large quantities.
    it can also be used as a noun, but I prefer the verb.

I like it because I first learned it while playing a Tetris game shortly after coming to the US. English was new to me and the word sounded strangely ornate yet accessible. It had this odd quality, I could tell what it meant just by pronouncing it. It felt like a very appropriate word to use when describing falling Tetris pieces.
    Thanks for breaking the ice, Umree. Cascade is a great word, full of vitality. A good word for a novel name

BTW, what is your closest family's country of origin if I may ask?

I have a sweet spot for kaleidoscoping:

"...a porch lamp waved the weary in from the chilly August wind, occasionally brushed by the sweep of changing
    colour from the fountain light. Soft reds, blues and greens played with the low chatter of water, adding a rippling effect to everything it touched, calming life and kaleidoscoping the night in changing colour, but…. But? The digital clock that weaved its way into the finely leathered-upholster of his dashboard whispered he’d sat in his car on the roadside outside his manor for a while now. The fading light already kissed the dark interior of the Mercedes, eagerly spreading out the differing shades of oncoming darkness and willing them to snake over the road, all in a desperate bid to play come fuck about with me in the woods now."

"You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquilo View Post
    I have a sweet spot for kaleidoscoping:

"...a porch lamp waved the weary in from the chilly August wind, occasionally brushed by the sweep of changing
    colour from the fountain light. Soft reds, blues and greens played with the low chatter of water, adding a rippling effect to everything it touched, calming life and kaleidoscoping the night in changing colour, but…. But? The digital clock that weaved its way into the finely leathered-upholster of his dashboard whispered he’d sat in his car on the roadside outside his manor for a while now. The fading light already kissed the dark interior of the Mercedes, eagerly spreading out the differing shades of oncoming darkness and willing them to snake over the road, all in a desperate bid to play come fuck about with me in the woods now."

Is this an excerpt from a story about an amorous, bangish pair? You write gay prose, right?

when I read the word seduced I always get a smirk on me kipper
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken11 View Post
    Is this an excerpt from a story about an amorous, bangish pair? You write gay prose, right?
    Look, just because I mention 'woods, sitting in a car' and 'fuck about' doesn't always mean it's about... oh. Lol. (jeez, and they say our heads are always in the mud, lol!). The guy in question here is a psychopath who knows he's being watched from the woods by a serial killer, and he doesn't like his territory being invaded, so he wants to 'fuck about' with the guy in other ways. So no... no... banging.

Not yet, anyway.

But back to favorite words...

Incitement and enticement.

Just because, well, it's a draw to all the bad things mostly, and someone's always willing to try it on and drag you in.
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

"Smorgasbord" can be fun as it might have a number of descriptive uses if writing metaphorically.
    I sometimes play with "cleave" because two of its meanings are the opposite from each other.
    I enjoy playing with a number of words that are spelt the same but have alternative meanings, sometimes changed merely by an altered syllable stress pattern, e.g. invalid, entrance, present - there are loads (and loads is one of them).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast