I Know What I Like: Trollheart's History of Progressive Rock - Page 2

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I Know What I Like: Trollheart's History of Progressive Rock

@ Princesisto: Granted, probably, but I imagine there are quite a lot of bands/artistes who could be said to have had a song or songs that were touching on prog rock. This is a huge endeavour though and I personally am concentrating here on albums, not tracks. I can't see any argument for the inclusion of Diana Ross as a prog artist, or contributing to the prog movement in any way. So I won't be featuring that, and it's nothing to do with race. There were likely some black and of course Asian artists in prog rock, but overall I think it was at least 90% white (though don't quote me) so I'm just following the history of what happened.

@Mrmustard: You and your darn Beatles! Revolver wasn't mentioned in the Wiki article which is why I didn't select it, though now I look I can see there's a good reason to do so. Therefore, I will give it a spin, write my thoughts down and post that before I go on. Thanks for slowing the whole process up; as if I wasn't busy enough already!
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

So when are we going to see 1967? I'm trippin here.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustard615 View Post
    So when are we going to see 1967? I'm trippin here.
    Patience young Padawan. Much to do there is, and so much time the day only has.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

Oh and by the way, we would have been on to 67 already if it hadn't been for you and your bloody Revolver! So settle down, and as soon as I have a spare minute I'll listen to it and write it up, THEN we can move on. As John Cleese remarked in the movie Clockwise: "Yes, we're all waiting for you!"

You better hurry up then. I'm only about three days away from posting my own review of Revolver.

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cartoon-cowboy-ready-draw-isolated-260nw-104312420.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	24509

You're too late. I've posted my review of Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustard615 View Post
    You're too late. I've posted my review of Revolver

Been a bit busy with my introduction to country music, friend. You got a problem with that?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gunpoint2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	24527

Quote Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
    I've never heard of them. Will check them out. What year are we talking here? Remember, we begin in 1967 so really, although it's not a hard and fast rule, discussion should be limited to any bands from that year for the time being.

So it's only rock in 1967?
    Kinda narrows it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    So it's only rock in 1967?
    Kinda narrows it a lot.
    Not sure what you're saying here, Ralph me old mate. Prog rock is generally agreed to have begun in 1966/67, so that's where the history begins. Obviously, the plan is to go through each year right up to this, checking out the bands and the changes along the way, especially the emergence of things like the Canterbury Scene and the rise of Progressive Metal, the eighties reinvention of the genre with neo-progressive rock, and so on. I'm not sure why you think that "narrows it a lot": I'm hardly going to be including genres that have nothing to do with prog rock.

ETA: Having re-read your comment I think I see what you mean. Naturally, discussion of ANY prog bands here is fine, but if you want me to COVER a band from, say, 1972, I won't be doing that till we get to that year. Discussions are fine, but the history will proceed along chronological lines, so if you can suggest a band or album from 1967 that I should be covering now (as Musty did with Revolver) then I'll consider looking at it. But if you suggest, here and now, a band or album from 1985, I'll take note, but won't check them out until I do 1985. Clear enough?

The tealdeer version: you can talk about any prog bands here you wish to at any time, but the main chronological history I'm posting will follow the bands and albums from each year as it comes up.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast