The Everything Maynard Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Everything Maynard Thread

The Everything Maynard Thread

This is the place to chat about all things Maynard--including everything pertaining to his various musical projects, such as Tool, A Perfect Circle, and Puscifer.

I first got into Tool when I was in sixth grade. Fell in love from those first glorious notes of "Sober," and I haven't turned my back on a love of the band since.

When I was fourteen, I snuck away from my dad at an electronics store and bought Undertow. He got a hold of the album art... and there were nekkid people in those pages. I'm still certain he would love the band if he'd just listen to them.

'Cause Tool's amazing like that.

"Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

I've only heard a little Tool. Deloused in the Crematorium I think? I'm a big prog fan though, rock or metal. Would you recommend their new album?
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
    I've only heard a little Tool. Deloused in the Crematorium I think? I'm a big prog fan though, rock or metal. Would you recommend their new album?
    I actually haven't listened to it all the way through yet because I've only been listening to my grand Pinocchio-writing playlist since July. That said, some of the songs I have heard from that album are on it. It's probably better than I'm giving it credit for, but so far, I'm a bigger fan of Aenima, 10,000 Days, Lateralus and Undertow.

Their songs have gotten longer... and longer... and longer... as they've matured--very prog-rocky of them. Plenty of 12-minute-plus songs on 10,000 Days and Fear Inoculum, and it's getting harder to get anything under 7 minutes out of the band anymore, if I recall correctly. I'm not against longer songs, mind you, but longer isn't always better; sometimes, it's just longer. That said, a lot of those super long songs are really good to write to (so I do).
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

This is just a funny video of Tool's band members being themselves. Maynard's bit about Morrissey is comedy gold; I die every time I hear it (it's around the 14:00 mark).

--adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

How long have they been around, seig?
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquilo View Post
    How long have they been around, seig?
    Tool has been around since the early 1990's. First release in 1992. First full-length album, Undertow was released in 1993. A Perfect Circle and Puscifer formed later. Fifth album, Fear Inoculum, was released about a month ago.

They're on tour to promote their most recent album and will be coming through my town (so I'm really hoping I can get hubs to go with me 'cause I've never seen Tool in concert before).

A Perfect Circle is often referred to as a more melodic side of Tool (different band, same lead singer). Puscifer is super eclectic and doesn't have a defined style so much as the other Maynard projects.
    Last edited by seigfried007; September 12th, 2019 at 04:52 PM.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Puscifer's all over the place. You would never catch Tool or A Perfect Circle releasing the same sorts of songs. As impressive as Maynard's vocals are in both of the other bands, you can hear a totally different side to him in Puscifer, where he has a lot more freedom to experiment with different vocal techniques and genres--western to funk to New Age hippie-sounding stuff.

For instance, "Momma Sed," which is acoustic and has a Western feel. Love this song though.

--adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Lateralus! That's the one. I remember hearing that. Whether I liked it or not is another thing. I must check back and see. I know I wrote a review of it at some point. If you want, I can post it here, but then this is your thread so if you'd rather I didn't, I'm sure it will show up at some stage in my own Album Review thread.
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
    Lateralus! That's the one. I remember hearing that. Whether I liked it or not is another thing. I must check back and see. I know I wrote a review of it at some point. If you want, I can post it here, but then this is your thread so if you'd rather I didn't, I'm sure it will show up at some stage in my own Album Review thread.
    This ain't my thread--it's Maynard's thread. Post whatever you want here. So long as it even vaguely pertains to any of those three projects, it's welcome here. I'm certainly intrigued to see your review
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

7empest, from Fear Inoculum. Possibly their longest song to date. Currently trying to write to it.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast