The Everything Maynard Thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Everything Maynard Thread

I was at Lollapalooza 93 where Tool played. Did I see them? Nah. I didn't really care for the one song I knew of theirs at the time (Sober). I saw Alice in Chains and Primus instead. They were good but looking back through a lens filtered with 10,000 Days and Lateralus it would have been awesome to be in the Presence of Maynard. I tried to get my vocal harmony group to cover The Humbling River but they weren't having any of the 7/4 time I arranged it in so it was just me and my mandolin doing it. I love watching Maynard's winemaking videos. He is a very passionate and talented vintner.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

He once claimed this was the most challenging song he'd done. It's eclectic and vocally demanding, so I can see why he'd say such a thing.

"Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

This one's a collaboration between Maynard/Puscifer and Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)

--adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

And here's one between Maynard and The Deftones. Unlike the above, you can hear both vocalists.

--adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

T'is a goodie to write to when you just gotta get into that amazeballs screaming-at-somebody kinda mood.

GO BACK TO SLEEP!
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Perhaps my favorite off Tool's new album.

--adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

I found most if not all the new songs off Fear Inoculum to be enjoyable, but I found the album-listen to be a bore. It's too long. Specifically, it's too long for what's on offer. Each song is like a showcase, but often you're hearing the same thing over and over with minimal variation. Each song has something cool to offer, but a bunch sound like rehashed material from 10,000 Days and Lateralus. Good, but same-y. I still recommend it, especially to fans.

I haven't listened to the filler tracks with the digital download, and I probably never will given the above.

I also feel like a sucker for rushing out and getting the album, a $60 CAD special CD. You get a pretty lame Alex Grey CGI video with a tinny little speaker. There is a headphone jack, I guess.

Lyrically, I found the album vapid. Probably the worst part in my opinion. They've always had this cryptic occult way about them, but even by their standards I get a hippy dippy impression.

The band is playing with an incredible fervor though, and the the drums and guitar are always on point. Maynard's vocals feel familiar, though not in an entirely bad way.

Fear Inoculum made me listen to all of their other albums again, so that's a positive as well.

And when it comes to Maynard, I always recommend Puscifer's V is for Vagina to anybody willing (and unwilling) to listen because it's the best thing there is. I don't think I've heard anything like it still, and I keep coming back to it over and over. Super weird, super out there. Love the hell out of it.
    I sprayed spot remover on my dog and now he's gone. - S. Wright.

^^^ Yes to everything there.

I've had a hard time getting into the new album because of that same-iness, but I love a lot of the older ones, and Puscifer's brilliantly eclectic.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

By the time I found out about the release of Fear Innoculum (two days before its release) I had all but let go of the notion there would be another Tool album. It was a pleasant surprise, and imo the album didn't disappoint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12