Reviewing the Beatles - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Reviewing the Beatles

Quote Originally Posted by Biro View Post
    I thought the 5th Beatle was the late Billy Preston.

One thing never talked about now as all is lost in history and peoples knowledge becomes 'only' what others have wrote in books etc, is that John Lennon in the early 70's was regarded as a pain in the backside and a bit of a dick. This was because he was always telling others what they should do. A bit like a 70's version of Bono.......but not as bad.

Whereas Paul McCartney was accepted as the norm (maybe be cause of Wings?) and was even seen using public transport quite a lot around London until Lennon's murder. But people especially the media didn't like Linda.

Actually a lot of people were considered the "fifth Beatle", the most common probably being George Martin, but Brian Epstein, Mal Evans, Neil Aspinall, Stu Sutcliffe, and even a New York DJ named Murray the K have been considered the fifth Beatle at one time or another. And I'm sure there were others as well.

I was actually around in the early seventies and, yes, Lennon was something of a political activist that might remind people of Bono today. He was also a quite flawed man by his own admission. But I think it was McCartney that got the most flak for a few reasons, his love for Linda being one (and John and Yoko especially got the wrath on that particular score), but also his supposedly sappy music (Ram was not well received at the time). The biggest reason McCartney was disliked though was that the was the one who was blamed for breaking up the Beatles since he was the one who had announced it. He also initiated a lawsuit to break up the Beatles' business interests. It probably wasn't until 1973 and with Wings where McCartney again had the goodwill of his fans.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustard615 View Post
    Actually a lot of people were considered the "fifth Beatle", the most common probably being George Martin, but Brian Epstein, Mal Evans, Neil Aspinall, Stu Sutcliffe, and even a New York DJ named Murray the K have been considered the fifth Beatle at one time or another. And I'm sure there were others as well.

I was actually around in the early seventies and, yes, Lennon was something of a political activist that might remind people of Bono today. He was also a quite flawed man by his own admission. But I think it was McCartney that got the most flak for a few reasons, his love for Linda being one (and John and Yoko especially got the wrath on that particular score), but also his supposedly sappy music (Ram was not well received at the time). The biggest reason McCartney was disliked though was that the was the one who was blamed for breaking up the Beatles since he was the one who had announced it. He also initiated a lawsuit to break up the Beatles' business interests. It probably wasn't until 1973 and with Wings where McCartney again had the goodwill of his fans.
    All very correct Mr mustard. I thought wings after Band on the run were very 'naff' and wasn't a keen Mcartney fan. One night about 20 years ago I watched a docu done by his daughters on how he ended up in Mull and what they were doing there. Having done similar myself I admired him and how he lived. People have knocked him when he was there. But actually he and the others had little money as it was all tied up legally until it was sorted.

The media hated Linda and never missed a chance to have a go at her. But as she said herself she isn't a musician and was never a singer.

You can see Billy Preston (under his hair somewhere) playing on the roof top gig which I think was their last. Another soul who accidentally appeared to attract a lot of flak. Did a great song with Syreeta.

What's a dog with wings...Linda McCartney..I can recall reading that in a music mag an thinking..Paul McCartney's wife ugly..I thought she was a looker with sex appeal..still do
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Actually because I had an older sister and similar age uncle I can remember hearing the Beatles stuff from the mid 60's onwards. Because of various happenings in the early 70's I heard most of their stuff again.

Today I think a lot of their songs are exceptional. If someone disagrees that's ok.....then beat them! Quite simply you can't.

They may not be fashionable today, but in every way they shine through and not many bands have ever matched that.

There will never be the like of them and those who followed ever again.

Linda McCartney ugly? I don't think so. But when you get the countries top pop star, you will never be popular in some eyes. Together with being a veggie which again wasn't popular back then either.

Paul and Linda were actually sheep farming on Mull in the early 70's and Paul going sea fishing with the locals. If you have to kill what you have reared from a baby to eat. Then some people can do it. The majority can't and they were just in the majority.

If Wings hadn't taken off then McCartney would possibly have still been there. Although I think they gave their kids a good upbringing on Mull through the 70's then moved on.

John Lennon was going to do same on an island he bought in the west of Ireland, but Yoko dragged him away to the comforts of an apartment in New York. So he never got his wellies wet. His island was used by hippies as some kind of commune until they had enough of that way of life and Yoko sold it in the 80's after he was dead. It's a mini tourist attraction now for as long as people still remember him.

With the last 2 in their late 70's and all around them dead or dropping like fly's what will happen? The young one's say 'Ugh' and the one's with a brain cell say 'who?' Whereas we knew all about them and heard them on our radios.

Should be interesting how we are all remembered. History will be believed as to what is on Wiki and that's down to who controls it.
    Last edited by Biro; December 2nd, 2019 at 11:11 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456