What Would You Say Is The Weakest Area Of Your Writing? - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Say Is The Weakest Area Of Your Writing?

My characters. They all tend to become like me, and it's hard for me to allow them to make mistakes because I don't like making mistakes XD I have started creating their portret and backstory which helps a bit but it's still hard for me to allow them to have weaknesses

Sent from my H4113 using Tapatalk

I usually have structural problems, like lingering too long in scenes that I like or making unnecessary detours, so my plot looks more like spaghetti than a nice action-climax-denouement curve. I also tend to have a hard time keeping a consistent POV, because I really want the reader to know what everybody is thinking at all times. Sometimes I am too lazy to fact-check, and I have a less than 50% completion rate of new works that I start.

Writing is the weakest area of my writing. I have to think about everything for weeks before I can get to work and actually write it.

I don't know if it's a weakness or not, but I do tend to be in a hurry to finish things and publish them. Later, I look at it and find errors. This is usually the point where I begin stabbing myself repeatedly in the crotch with a rusty ice pick. Eh... Fortunately, this doesn't happen too often. *ahem*
    Her: I love my computer! All of my friends are in there!
    Me: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my freezer...
    Her: What?
    Me: What?

I'd say it's first and foremost overly long and complicated sentences, which is really a quirk carried over from my native language. It's entirely possible to write a grammatically-correct sentence that occupies an entire page in it.

Apparently everything according to the critique from the beta (no one from here) who read my manuscript. I've only made it to chapter 8 (out of 32) with their notes and I've gotten to a point where I almost don't want to read anymore. They point out one good thing then have twenty bad things afterward. I did not think this novel was this bad, I figured it needed some work and especially grammar issue fixes (don't get me started on that). Sigh....At least the other two betas who read it liked it.
    Hidden Content <--Proceed with der clickity.

Every single part about writing is my weakest.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tepelus View Post
    Apparently everything according to the critique from the beta (no one from here) who read my manuscript. I've only made it to chapter 8 (out of 32) with their notes and I've gotten to a point where I almost don't want to read anymore. They point out one good thing then have twenty bad things afterward. I did not think this novel was this bad, I figured it needed some work and especially grammar issue fixes (don't get me started on that). Sigh....At least the other two betas who read it liked it.
    Don't let one person's reading discourage you. You can never please everyone and I can think of plenty of writers that I personally enjoy reading that others have crapped on and vice versa. Make it as good as you can and send it out. Remember, Jacob M. Appel --one of the most prolific writers alive today-- is said to have published 200+ stories and received ~21,000 rejection letters in the process.

I feel like I am really good when it comes to building my world, it's people. Lore, concepts, beliefs, etc.

but when it comes to writing it down, I am complete shit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast