What Would You Say Is The Weakest Area Of Your Writing?


Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: What Would You Say Is The Weakest Area Of Your Writing?

  1. #1
    Offline: Depressed Trollheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Where the sour turns to sweet
    Posts
    762

    What Would You Say Is The Weakest Area Of Your Writing?

    We can all stand to improve, probably me more than most, but sometimes it's hard to recognise the flaws in your writing. One thing I know is a problem for me is what I suppose would be termed rambling: as Sam once said in Cheers, I tend to have to take a connecting flight to get to the point. I don't quite see it as a weakness - I like to work my way up to the revelation, like throwing obstacles in the reader's way, and the more I can expand the story the better. But I probably should rein it in a little. My characterisations could probably use some work, too, and of course my main issue is completing things. As noted in other threads, I tend to work on several projects at once, often resulting in the completion of any being delayed. My short stories are seldom short, usually averaging between 4,000 - 7,000 words, which I know is too long, but for me brevity is a hard thing to master.

    Hey, I'll keep working on it. Always room to improve.

    So, what about you?
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

    I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

    "If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989


    The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

  2. #2
    Member Rojack79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Tucson Az
    Posts
    1,153
    Blog Entries
    2
    I thought 4000-7000 was the norm for short stories. Was I wrong? From what I understand a short story can be anywhere from 5000-10,000 words long. Unless I'm wrong then please let me know.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

    I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

  3. #3
    For me it's managing tension well so the following moments have more impact. I just blurt words onto the page that I then have to back-engineer and they always lose something in this stage of the process.


    Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge


    The first cut don't hurt at all
    The second only makes you wonder
    The third will have you on your knee
    s
    - Propaganda, "Duel"

    *

    Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous








  4. #4
    I'm titanium; I ain't got no weaknesses whatsoever. I am the world's most perfect writer.


    Actually that's total bullshit.

    I'm occasionally too damned ambitious with a story (biting off more than I can chew).

    I'm also cursed with the most absurd lack of confidence when it comes to publishing. I'm not sure why sending things out fills me with so much dread--I really don't. I know the worst that can happen is a rejection (unless the editors talk to each other--which I know happens--or someone calls the cops on me because I write some freaky shit sometimes).

    Another big flaw is not finishing a project--often because I've bitten off more than I can chew and have thus become stalled on it. I'll always eventually get back to the project though because I can't stand to leave something incomplete--might as well be waving a damn white sheet on a pole and saying "My bad, I'm not a good enough writer to conquer this project! I have no idea what I was thinking to get into this story!" I might make a tactical retreat, but I ain't ever admitting defeat.

    Perhaps the worst problem I have is my tendency to get so into a project that it affects my mental health. This isn't a big deal with relatively short stories or ones that involve relatively normal characters and conflicts (you know, sane ones, the kinds of stories people want to read). But if I'm writing long fiction with insane characters, insane conflicts, mountains of anguish everywhere... especially with one lone first-person POV... my soul might just be in a bad place, and that's going to affect me out in the real world. It affects my family, too, and that's the saddest part.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

    "Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    I thought 4000-7000 was the norm for short stories. Was I wrong? From what I understand a short story can be anywhere from 5000-10,000 words long. Unless I'm wrong then please let me know.
    Theres no fixed rule and it’s genre dependent but typically anthology shorts are >5000 words and magazines are a little less. Often these limits are “hard” due to print space. I try to make my short stories around the >3000 word mark which I consider long enough to be a short story as opposed to flash but short enough to maximize the number of places I could send it. Nothing worse than having a 7,000 word “short story” that you can’t submit most places that might otherwise be perfect because of the word count.

  6. #6
    Offline: Depressed Trollheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Where the sour turns to sweet
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    I thought 4000-7000 was the norm for short stories. Was I wrong? From what I understand a short story can be anywhere from 5000-10,000 words long. Unless I'm wrong then please let me know.
    Well, I'm just going on what submission editors quote as the max when they want short stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    I'm titanium; I ain't got no weaknesses whatsoever. I am the world's most perfect writer.


    Actually that's total bullshit.

    I'm occasionally too damned ambitious with a story (biting off more than I can chew).

    I'm also cursed with the most absurd lack of confidence when it comes to publishing. I'm not sure why sending things out fills me with so much dread--I really don't. I know the worst that can happen is a rejection (unless the editors talk to each other--which I know happens--or someone calls the cops on me because I write some freaky shit sometimes).

    Another big flaw is not finishing a project--often because I've bitten off more than I can chew and have thus become stalled on it. I'll always eventually get back to the project though because I can't stand to leave something incomplete--might as well be waving a damn white sheet on a pole and saying "My bad, I'm not a good enough writer to conquer this project! I have no idea what I was thinking to get into this story!" I might make a tactical retreat, but I ain't ever admitting defeat.

    Perhaps the worst problem I have is my tendency to get so into a project that it affects my mental health. This isn't a big deal with relatively short stories or ones that involve relatively normal characters and conflicts (you know, sane ones, the kinds of stories people want to read). But if I'm writing long fiction with insane characters, insane conflicts, mountains of anguish everywhere... especially with one lone first-person POV... my soul might just be in a bad place, and that's going to affect me out in the real world. It affects my family, too, and that's the saddest part.
    This is certainly true.
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Theres no fixed rule and it’s genre dependent but typically anthology shorts are >5000 words and magazines are a little less. Often these limits are “hard” due to print space. I try to make my short stories around the >3000 word mark which I consider long enough to be a short story as opposed to flash but short enough to maximize the number of places I could send it. Nothing worse than having a 7,000 word “short story” that you can’t submit most places that might otherwise be perfect because of the word count.
    Yes, I know, indeed. My short (!) story "A Harmless Old Man" runs to just over 40,000 words, which is I know is almost long enough for a short novel. "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Planet!" currently stands at 52,000, and is nowhere near complete. D'oh!
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

    I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

    "If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989


    The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

  7. #7
    Offline: Depressed Trollheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Where the sour turns to sweet
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    I thought 4000-7000 was the norm for short stories. Was I wrong? From what I understand a short story can be anywhere from 5000-10,000 words long. Unless I'm wrong then please let me know.
    Well, I'm just going on what submission editors quote as the max when they want short stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    I'm titanium; I ain't got no weaknesses whatsoever. I am the world's most perfect writer.


    Actually that's total bullshit.

    I'm occasionally too damned ambitious with a story (biting off more than I can chew).

    I'm also cursed with the most absurd lack of confidence when it comes to publishing. I'm not sure why sending things out fills me with so much dread--I really don't. I know the worst that can happen is a rejection (unless the editors talk to each other--which I know happens--or someone calls the cops on me because I write some freaky shit sometimes).

    Another big flaw is not finishing a project--often because I've bitten off more than I can chew and have thus become stalled on it. I'll always eventually get back to the project though because I can't stand to leave something incomplete--might as well be waving a damn white sheet on a pole and saying "My bad, I'm not a good enough writer to conquer this project! I have no idea what I was thinking to get into this story!" I might make a tactical retreat, but I ain't ever admitting defeat.

    Perhaps the worst problem I have is my tendency to get so into a project that it affects my mental health. This isn't a big deal with relatively short stories or ones that involve relatively normal characters and conflicts (you know, sane ones, the kinds of stories people want to read). But if I'm writing long fiction with insane characters, insane conflicts, mountains of anguish everywhere... especially with one lone first-person POV... my soul might just be in a bad place, and that's going to affect me out in the real world. It affects my family, too, and that's the saddest part.
    This is certainly true.*

    * I only saw the white text after posting. You little minx, you!
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Theres no fixed rule and it’s genre dependent but typically anthology shorts are >5000 words and magazines are a little less. Often these limits are “hard” due to print space. I try to make my short stories around the >3000 word mark which I consider long enough to be a short story as opposed to flash but short enough to maximize the number of places I could send it. Nothing worse than having a 7,000 word “short story” that you can’t submit most places that might otherwise be perfect because of the word count.
    Yes, I know, indeed. My short (!) story "A Harmless Old Man" runs to just over 40,000 words, which is I know is almost long enough for a short novel. "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Planet!" currently stands at 52,000, and is nowhere near complete. D'oh!
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

    I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

    "If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989


    The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
    Yes, I know, indeed. My short (!) story "A Harmless Old Man" runs to just over 40,000 words, which is I know is almost long enough for a short novel. "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Planet!" currently stands at 52,000, and is nowhere near complete. D'oh!
    Not to nitpick too much, but 40,000 words is most definitely not a short story. It’s comfortably in novella (short novel) range.

    When I say there’s no fixed definition it’s because a short story is designed to be read in a single sitting and that’s somewhat individual but I don’t think there are many readers who can do 40,000 words in a single sitting. At some point you gotta pee.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Not to nitpick too much, but 40,000 words is most definitely not a short story. It’s comfortably in novella (short novel) range.

    When I say there’s no fixed definition it’s because a short story is designed to be read in a single sitting and that’s somewhat individual but I don’t think there are many readers who can do 40,000 words in a single sitting. At some point you gotta pee.
    Dude, I do most of my reading on the pot. Too damned busy to read otherwise... and don't have anything better to be doing while I'm in there.


    When are you going to get around to answering the OP? Or do you not have faults?
    Last edited by seigfried007; September 9th, 2019 at 06:46 PM.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

    "Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

  10. #10
    I have many weaknesses and I'm not sure which is the weakest of the weak, but writing descriptively is certainly near the top of the list. I'm also lacking a distinct and consistent voice in my narration, and it seems to vary depending on my mood. I'm trying to find a writer who has a voice similar to what I'm trying to achieve. If I find him (or her, but probably a him), that person will be my writing soulmate. I know I've read books with that voice, but I can't remember what they are or who wrote them. I also use the but conjunction far too often, but I'm trying to stop. DOH!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.