Female voice by a male - Page 7


Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 85

Thread: Female voice by a male

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    I totally agree. I don't even think men talk about it that much either, other than in a very light manner - like if there's a funny story or something, and even then it's not really talking about sex.

    Talking about that stuff with friends is just weird, to me. Like, I don't want to think about my friends in that light. So I always roll my eyes when characters on TV start exchanging sex tips. I mean, is there anything less awkward than getting oral sex pointers from Sharon over a latte? Most people can figure out most of this stuff on their own and for those who cannot there are healthy magazines, doctors, porn, whatever.

    The only demographic I can see sex being talked about frequently and in some level of detail would be teenagers. Not grown ass adults.
    Well that's what I mean, if something funny happened, then a friend is more likely to talk about it, as oppose to just casual sex, where not anything funny happened. But I thought women were more likely to talk about funny occurrences during sex with each other, more compared to guys though.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    The only demographic I can see sex being talked about frequently and in some level of detail would be teenagers. Not grown ass adults.
    You're pretty wrong there. The active participation in sexual discourse was the main propellant force in the Renaissance, for one. And why has the adolthood age been set at eighteen years? Because of these teenagers' sex drive, which is considered more than healthy, necessary 'even'.
    Apropos, I'll remind us writers that the main passionate, dramatic turbulence-causing factor in human life is the relationship Eros-Thanatos, i.e. Passion-Fear of loss. That's why Sex and the City became a global phenomenon.
    Last edited by Ken11; September 11th, 2019 at 08:22 AM.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken11 View Post
    You're pretty wrong here. The active participation in sexual discourse was the main propellant force in the Renaissance, for one.
    I thought it was pretty obvious I was talking casual conversations between friends and acquaintances, not shifts in academia.

    I mean, I'm pretty sure regular people hanging out in Venetian marketplaces in the 1500's didn't suddenly start openly discussing cunnilingus preferences or whatever because 'it's the Renaissance, dude'. But if you have evidence to the contrary I'd be thrilled to hear it!.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken11 View Post
    And why has the adolthood age been set at eighteen years? Because of these teenagers' sex drive, which is considered more than healthy, necessary 'even'.
    No idea what your point is, sorry. And I'd try to figure it out but I'm too busy trying to work out why you put apostrophes around 'even'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken11 View Post
    Before you try to be sarcastic, I'll remind us writers that the main passionate, dramatic turbulence-causing factor in human life is the relationship Eros-Thanatos, i.e. Passion-Fear of loss.
    Before you try to start arguments, I'll remind you again I was referring to realistic depictions of modern-day female sexuality, not...whatever you are trying to say. What relevance do you think Eros has to what women or men talk about with their pals over a Subway sandwich?

    Quote Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
    Well that's what I mean, if something funny happened, then a friend is more likely to talk about it, as oppose to just casual sex, where not anything funny happened. But I thought women were more likely to talk about funny occurrences during sex with each other, more compared to guys though.
    I don't think there's a difference there. I mean, it would probably depend if anything on what the 'funny occurrence' was. Women might be less inclined to share something really gross, not sure. There'd probably be a difference in language used? A lot of women in America have a really big aversion to vulgar words. Again, depends on the broader demographic as much as gender I would think.

    Either way I think that's splitting hairs.
    Last edited by luckyscars; September 11th, 2019 at 08:37 AM.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    I think - just my opinion - that TV and movies make it seem that women sit around talking about sex and all that it encompasses, on a regular basis. I don't think that is true. I can honestly say, among my women friends, who have generally been married, that sex has never been a topic of conversation. It's no one's business, is it? And what is there to discuss? I mean is anyone else really interested enough in another person's sex life to have an actual conversation about it?
    Sue, I am am relieved you are not a fly on the wall when I get together with some of my girlfriends. We often talk about sex in a humorous way which leads me to think, after reading your comment, maybe it is a cultural issue re upbringing or religious beliefs. Our Portuguese friends are also very open and my Dutch friend had no shame. So maybe cultural backgrounds should be taken into account when writing dialogue?
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content






  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    I thought it was pretty obvious I was talking casual conversations between friends and acquaintances, not shifts in academia.

    I mean, I'm pretty sure regular people hanging out in Venetian marketplaces in the 1500's didn't suddenly start openly discussing cunnilingus preferences or whatever because 'it's the Renaissance, dude'. But if you have evidence to the contrary I'd be thrilled to hear it!.

    Before you try to start arguments, I'll remind you again I was referring to realistic depictions of modern-day female sexuality, not...whatever you are trying to say. What relevance do you think Eros has to what women or men talk about with their pals over a Subway sandwich?
    You know, I'm aware, that impacts to the higher classes of society come from the lower classes of society. And indeed, luckily for you to mention Venetia, for Venetia had the highest prostitute rate in medieval Europe per capita.

    All you need to know about the modern day sexuality has been depicted in the global phenomenon ''Sex and the City''. And I don't really know why are you trying to avoid the reference of it.

  6. #66
    Mentor Dluuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    Of course, we're also writers, so we might just not being hanging out with the right crowds of people, I suppose. Writers are odd ducks.
    I'm a romance writer. Not only do my writer friends discuss sex regularly in writing group, but I also have friends who are sex-positive, sex workers, hypersexual, kinky, etc. And I write sweet!

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Dluuni View Post
    I'm a romance writer. Not only do my writer friends discuss sex regularly in writing group, but I also have friends who are sex-positive, sex workers, hypersexual, kinky, etc. And I write sweet!
    That's because you're Alaskan. Sex warms

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken11 View Post
    All you need to know about the modern day sexuality has been depicted in the global phenomenon ''Sex and the City''. And I don't really know why are you trying to avoid the reference of it.
    I think possibly people were trying to avoid the reference of it because it's so patently absurd that it's hard to discuss it without insulting the person who seems so fascinated by it.

    Nevertheless, if you think a fairytale about some straight, rich, beautiful, shallow, useless white women in Manhattan contains all you need to know about modern-day sexuality, I'm confused by the point of this thread. Instead of asking us for insight, shouldn't you just pull out your well-worn DVDs of Sex and The City and prepare yourself for epiphany?

  9. #69
    I must admit, it’s very sweet to see my fellow men in this thread holding Sex In The City, a show which never was regarded as realistic whatsoever and also ended FIFTEEN FRIGGING YEARS AGO, as being the supreme evidence of how “modern women” act.

    What next, guys? Black history based on a close reading of The Cosby Show? Avian zoology based on analysis of Big Bird? I can’t wait.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    I think - just my opinion - that TV and movies make it seem that women sit around talking about sex and all that it encompasses, on a regular basis. I don't think that is true. I can honestly say, among my women friends, who have generally been married, that sex has never been a topic of conversation. It's no one's business, is it? And what is there to discuss? I mean is anyone else really interested enough in another person's sex life to have an actual conversation about it?
    Pretty much this. But it might be because I write about it. I don't want to switch off the computer and talk some more about it.
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

    Mike Posner.

    Hidden Content

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.