Feedback Needed for possible "All Things Music" forum - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feedback Needed for possible "All Things Music" forum

You could lump in lyrics and such with the general music discussions, but there are a few issues that would have to be discussed. For starters, the proposed music boards would likely be in the Lounge since, although there would certainly be some writing involved via album reviews, etc, it wouldn't have a lot to do with writing and it certainly wouldn't be up for critique. There is also the fact that lyrics forums tend not to get a lot of traffic, only a few people would use it so, while a lyrics board would work on a larger music board, would people think it wouldn't be something that would interest them, thus avoiding the music board altogether? (I could be wrong with this concern). The biggest thing would be just how big would you make this music forum. I can think of at least a dozen subforums that could be under the music banner to the point that it could be perceived as a co-existing forum along with the writing forum. While that might not bother me necessarily, I imagine there would be some writers here that would be up in arms if they felt they were being usurped by the music forum.

So, yes, lyrics in an all music forum makes sense, but we have to be careful not to make the board so big that it overshadows the other areas of the forum at large.
    Hidden Content

Hey, check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

And if you're into music, check out the brand new Hidden Content Hidden Content

We seem to have enough people interested to make this a viable concern, and enough of a basic idea to start throwing it together, so are we going ahead or is it still in discussion phase, and if the latter, how long do we wait before doing something concrete? I'm ready to jump in if anyone else is, but I don't know how things progress here, so maybe someone could enlighten me?
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

We'd like to thank everyone for their input. Now we have a general idea of what members would like we will formulate your suggestions into a plan and review the technical side. Nothing is cast in stone at the moment and before any final decision is made we will report back here for further review. In the meantime, if you think of any further ideas please keep posting!
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmustard615 View Post
    it wouldn't have a lot to do with writing and it certainly wouldn't be up for critique.
    An innocent question: why not?

I certainly would want critiques of my lyrics and would certainly offer them.

Otherwise, why are people posting?

You don't want to encourage advertising and fan-clubbing of the lyrics, do you?

I should think you would want to encourage critiquing and taking the lyrics section seriously. Of course, writing lyrics is not exactly the same as writing stories: the techniques are different. But the same things we get from posting stories for critique - advice, reactions. perspective - must be equally valuable for song creation, mustn't they?

And I hope we don't have territorial canines on Writing Forums who will count how many lines in the music section and how many lines in the prose sections and bark: "They're takin' over, boys, kill 'em all." They don't do it to the poets, do they?

"They took our jobs!!!!!!"
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Princesisto View Post
    An innocent question: why not?

I certainly would want critiques of my lyrics and would certainly offer them.
    Because a forum like this would be in the Living Areas which is essentially an area for non- writing endeavors. Otherwise you're better off leaving the lyrics right where they are if you want critique. I'm not saying you couldn't do critiques in a living area section per se, but the idea is for a discussion thread about something a lot of us like

Otherwise, why are people posting?

You don't want to encourage advertising and fan-clubbing of the lyrics, do you?
    Please tell me you're not suggesting we eliminate the Lounge. You might get this.

I should think you would want to encourage critiquing and taking the lyrics section seriously. Of course, writing lyrics is not exactly the same as writing stories: the techniques are different. But the same things we get from posting stories for critique - advice, reactions. perspective - must be equally valuable for song creation, mustn't they?
    Again, if you prefer that you're better off leaving it in the Verse forum where it is now.

And I hope we don't have territorial canines on Writing Forums who will count how many lines in the music section and how many lines in the prose sections and bark: "They're takin' over, boys, kill 'em all." They don't do it to the poets, do they?
    No but they sure do that to the Lounge Lizards
    Hidden Content

Hey, check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Hey, the 'All Things Music' section is now open for business! We will review again after a month to see if any changes are needed. As for a Lyrics Workshop, if you want to retain your first rights please post to the poetry workshop; just include the word Lyrics in the title of your post. If your not fussed then post to the Lyrics board in All Things Music!
    Last edited by PiP; September 11th, 2019 at 09:26 PM.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

And good news for Princesisto. You will be able to post your lyrics for critique. All Things Music is its own section
    Hidden Content

Hey, have you checked out the new Artist and Genres music forum over at All Things Music? There are already several interesting discussions!
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    All's well that ends well, isn't it?

Glad to see you're satisfied enough with it to advertise it in caps and bold colours!

I'm over there, trying it on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12