Feedback Needed for possible "All Things Music" forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback Needed for possible "All Things Music" forum

Feedback Needed for possible "All Things Music" forum

Are you interested in this type of forum?

We are considering creating a new "All Things Music" forum and would like for our members to chime in with suggestions about what you would like to see this forum encompass category-wise (sub-forums) and generally, what you feel is needed in a music forum.

Here are some of the suggestions, so far:

- music
    - music discussion
    - lyrics
    - lyrics discussion

-A music forum for reviews and sharing popular music they enjoy (I assume those interested will also be sharing music posted on YouTube for further discussion).

Please respond if you are interested!
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

I'll come in with my experience of the music forum I used to be in for about seven years. Basically, you had people discussing various types of music in sub-forums - rock, metal, punk, classical, pop, reggae, hip-hop, movie music etc - and then you had album reviews, new release schedules, and so on. But my favourite by far was the Members' Journals, which ties in well with the theme of writing here. In those, you could do what you liked - review albums, concerts, talk about your feelings about music, review artists, discuss this style against that - no limit really. That sort of thing I found great for a writer, and you also got to share your passion for music.

So I'd be looking at some sort of similar set-up, if enough people were interested of course. I'm only here a wet day, as we say in Ireland, but I do have experience of participating in a music forum, so if any help was needed I'd be happy to lend a hand.
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

Yes. I'm totally and completely behind this idea. I mean, I doubt I have any clout here, but music is such a big part my life (and the lives of a lot of us I reckon). Can't sing, can't play an instrument, but can't do a whole lot without having something to jam to. A music forum would be a fun place to find new stuff for people to listen to, or connect on shared interests (think I'm rehashing here). So in conclusion, yes. Yes. Also yes.

Hmmm

I think lyrics could be split into two; a. Lyrics written by members b. Lyrics from all other music in the world.

Likewise, music could be split into two as well if there are enough musicians on the forum.

- Music by genre? (Rock, Blues, Pop etc.)
    - Why (Why did this song touch you? Please explain so we can relate)
    - Music in your story (a thread where members discuss what influence music has on their writing)
    - Live music, shows, gigs etc.
    I threw a glance at humankind and saw them treacherous and feeble.
    Severe judges, cruel, unkind and fools who are always close to evil.
    Before their frightful, anxious mob, indifferent hate forever rages.
    Not learnt the lessons from the ages!
    What use are wise and tempered words?
    "Sometime, in my sweet blindness" - Pushkin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    Are you interested in this type of forum?

We are considering creating a new "All Things Music" forum and would like for our members to chime in with suggestions about what you would like to see this forum encompass category-wise (sub-forums) and generally, what you feel is needed in a music forum.

Here are some of the suggestions, so far:

- music
    - music discussion
    - lyrics
    - lyrics discussion

-A music forum for reviews and sharing popular music they enjoy (I assume those interested will also be sharing music posted on YouTube for further discussion).

Please respond if you are interested!
    Absolutely. For myself I am interested in songwriting and might want to get feedback. And I love, enjoy and perform music so it’s definitely a passion for me.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

An excellent idea. I would most certainly be interested. I think sub-forums as categories would be essential to make selecting ones interest simpler. I have a wide range of interest; classical, rock, folk, blues, parlour.

I also write lyrics. The above mentioned category for writing in musical interest is also pertinent.

I hope this idea will receive enough support to get off the ground. It may be not hugely supported but in my experience lovers of music are generally passionate about their subject.

I think if you can get about ten to fifteen regular posters in the board, I think it can be quite successful. To the blues in particular, you can probably get a lot of feedback from Trollheart and possibly me on how this can be structured. He's right, there was a lot of creativity in the Member's Journals in particular. He also started something called the Album Club where a group of us would review an album each week (I'd make it an album maybe bi-weekly though so people wouldn't feel pressured). And, of course, you would have your general discussions (who's better, Elton John or David Bowie for example). I'm really optimistic this can work.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Oh defienitely! I review regularly in iTunes music store (mostly because the assholes keep making me spend my money *sobs*). Be good to look at the iTunes/Amazon Prime monthly subscription pros and cons... Would it be worth adding a Tour News thread? Who's on tour, where? I don't live far from Cannock Chase Forest, where they hold open air concerts during the summer in the forest: Jack Savoretti was the latest singer/songwriter performing here... ughh, just nosey on who's seeing who, lol...

But yes!!! It's something I'd love to see!
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

Blog Entries
    YES!

I endorse Mish's amendments.

If help is needed and if asked, and if I knew how to do it (I know nothing about computers) I would gladly do what I could.

P

Blog Entries
    Just one matter of housekeeping and good policy: right now there are lyrics in a verse section, in the Poetry workshop and then if you add a new Music section that will be three sections on the same topic.

So I submit that, if you bring in the Music section, the lyrics and song discussion in the Verse section should be taken down and lyrics should be taken out of the Poetry workshop: there should be a one-stop shop for music. I say that as the one who put lyrics in the Poetry workshop.

Basically, the copyright issue in songs and lyrics is different from that in stories and novels. In stories and novels, the publishers are obsessed with "first publication rights", so we have to sequester our stories and poems or no one will buy them if they are published to the world here. However, with a song, the first performer has copyright and no one asks about a song "Did you publish that anywhere else?": performers or publishers will buy it from the first performer. Most songs that you see on YouTube or hear on the radio or Spotify were performed thousands of times by the performer before they got recorded and distributed. In fact, that is why they got recorded and distributed.

If someone hears/sees your performance or lyrics and then performs or uses them without permission, you can sue them and get an injunction just because you put them there for the usurper to see and use. So publishing your song here is further proof that it is yours and that is good for you. That is why, although I workshop my lyrics in the Poetry Workshop to get reactions and advice, I blog them when I think they are ripe. But it is not really necessary for that workshopping to be sequestered: when your song is "fixed", meaning you have stopped workshopping it and you have a final version, with no further amendments, then copyright attaches to it automatically. So, what is on my blog is what will go into my novel and if, (I hope) someday, the novel becomes a movie or the songs get recorded with music and a singer the blogged version is what will get the music and voice: because what I blog I have proved is mine.

So ideally, there should be one music blog for all lyrics, original or famous, all song discussions, everything: perhaps with sub-forums for original lyrics, famous lyrics, song discussion, music discussion, artist discussion, music genres, live performance discussion, "Why Do You Like It?" and music in your stories, pace Mish.

However, if it is technically possible (I've no idea if it is or not), it would be nice for submitters to the Music forum tick one of two boxes at the time of submission: "Publish To The World" or "Password Protect" (the latter meaning only forum members could see it), rather than to stick it on the Poetry Workshop just to password protect it. I admit that kind of parking songs in the Poetry forum is a kind of poet abuse because lyrics are not exactly equal to poetry. Truthfully, I never believed they were.

FWIW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast