What genres are best for light-hearted philosophies with some flow?

Thread: What genres are best for light-hearted philosophies with some flow?

What genres are best for light-hearted philosophies with some flow?

What genres would you say is best for light-hearted philosophies such as these (what genres should I write these passages in)? Short stories don't seem like a good place for long pieces of philosophy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But for Sheila, contradiction was not simply two opposite ideas, one idea cancelling the possibility of the other idea occurring. Those kinds of contradictions were hopelessly flawed and bad. Yes,they were bad. They did not occur in nature and were useless. Sheila’s thoughts centered around a different kind of contradiction, one that featured two ideas,never the exact opposite of each other, always twisting around the other, like two snakes wrapping around each other in a wavy motion. One idea would lead to the logical impossibility of the other idea existing. But nature isn’t logical. Both ideas would exist still, even though their existences were a logical impossibility. Nature may be conceptually illogical, but it still follows rules like the Fibonacci sequence for easily distinguishable objects. Sheila knew the quantity of the petals of a flower had to be a number in the Fibonacci sequence but concepts with more uncertainty such as their smell occasionally were illogical in a twisting contradictory way, where each concept vied for logical coherence. But each concept never reached logical coherence. If they did, they would be able to be adequately described by logic, except it wasn’t possible. Each concept twisted around the other forever, never to rest in something as concrete and straight as logic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Scarlet, alchemy was the ideal fantasy science. The ability to turn anything into real gold, even fool’s gold, pyrite, was a wonder. But if fool’s gold was inferior to real gold in its ability to not decay, its luster, and its hardness, it was evidence of another hierarchy. And construction never moved up in the hierarchy that nature devised for all objects, including ones that had never existed. This was what was on Scarlet’s mind as she thought about the toys, swords, and shields that the smiths of the town forged. Yes, steel swords were more useful than purified steel on some occasions, such as war, but for nature, there was a hierarchy where purified steel was always more valuable than steel swords. Nature did not need to be fed like humans and had no desire for some events such as a war over food. Whether nature was alive or not, it did not matter in the logical idea of whether nature had desire for wars over food to exist. Nature had its own hierarchy that itself was higher up on a rung of another hierarchy that governed both nature and artificially contrived objects.

But Scarlet did not say what she thought about nature, alchemy, and artificially forged toys. The day was getting darker and Scarlet and her friends were getting tired.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Kane Jiang; August 30th, 2019 at 10:03 PM.

Wouldn't it be iron swords versus steel swords?

I have to admit, I don't understand the question you were posing.
    Are you asking what genre these passages should be classified as, or what genre SHOULD you write them in?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Wouldn't it be iron swords versus steel swords?

I have to admit, I don't understand the question you were posing.
    Are you asking what genre these passages should be classified as, or what genre SHOULD you write them in?
    Ok, I edited the OP post. About iron swords vs steel swords, I meant purified steel versus steel with more impurities, which may have other stuff in it.

Blog Entries
    Well, the Socratic Dialogues are essentially narratives wherein 2 characters discuss moral principles and other philosophical topics. You can potentially write a philosophical short story in the same guise. Otherwise, you can probably fit these in essays as potential examples that illustrate the grander point you're trying to make.

Well, you could put it in short story form, but emphasise the 'short', look at this;

Yours
    But for Sheila, contradiction was not simply two opposite ideas, one idea cancelling the possibility of the other idea occurring. Those kinds of contradictions were hopelessly flawed and bad. Yes,they were bad. They did not occur in nature and were useless. Sheila’s thoughts centered around a different kind of contradiction, one that featured two ideas,never the exact opposite of each other, always twisting around the other, like two snakes wrapping around each other in a wavy motion.

Rewrite
    For Sheila, contradiction was not two opposite ideas, one cancelling the possibility of the other, those were flawed and bad. Yes, unnatural and bad! Sheila favoured a different kind of contradiction; two ideas, never opposites, but twisting around each other, like two snakes joined in motion.

All right, that's my rewrite, probably not exactly how you would put it, but look at what I have done to shorten it so much and still retain the overall sense (I think!).I have taken out repetitions and qualifying words mostly. Things like 'Exact opposite', opposite is opposite, it only needs qualifying if it is 'Almost opposite'

Really the answer is they belong in whatever genre you feel like writing them into, nobody is going to say, 'Ideas like this can't be in short stories, that is original and we can't have that' are they? It is more about doing it competently, and that is more likely to happen in the genre you feel happy writing.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

I think I dialog would be best