Got several Amazon Reviews in August! Here's how...

Thread: Got several Amazon Reviews in August! Here's how...

Lightbulb Got several Amazon Reviews in August! Here's how...

Book reviews are a great source of Social Proof (third party validation of your work). Like most authors, I sometimes find it challenging to obtain reviews from my readers. Occasionally, my books will go a few months without receiving a single new review. Ouch! Luckily, that was not the case this summer when my books received several, including FIVE Amazon reviews this month (mostly 5-stars). Iím sure other authors get more reviews, but five in one month ainít too shabby for a little guy like me.

So how did I get those reviews? There are lots of ways to seek reviews, but I believe the following two giveaway tactics resulted in my recent bounty.

First, I gave away free eBooks this summer via KDP Selectís Free Book Promotion (not the Countdown Deal). To get more reach out of these campaigns, I bought some cheap FB ads and spread the word via social media. These efforts resulted in almost 1k free downloads (total) for my 3 books. Iím guessing at least a few of my recent reviews came from this strategy.

Second, I gave away 10 print copies each to a half-dozen or more author groups around the country to use as a door prize for their monthly meetings. I purposely chose these groups b/c authors are the target audience for 2 of my books. These giveaways are a WIN-WIN in the sense that the author groups get free resources to help their members succeed and I get free exposure for my books. A new member that I met at a local author group this summer didnít win my book as a door prize, so he bought it on Amazon and later left a glowing review without even telling me. What a nice surprise! Also, one of the group leaders in another state who received my free print books this summer read my book and left a nice review. Again, this review was totally unsolicited, and I was thrilled!

I hope this post helps my fellow authors. What other effective ways have you found to obtain reviews?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	star ratings pic_pixabay 08302019.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	24305

Mikeyboy_esq
    Check out my books for authors including SMART MARKETING FOR INDIE AUTHORS and 14 STEPS TO SELF-PUBLISHING A BOOK.
    Hidden Content

One of those should be from some jerk named R.B.R.
    Whatever you do; don't lend that guy any money!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyboy_esq View Post
    What other effective ways have you found to obtain reviews?
    None, I'm afraid! I know a fair number of readers must be getting some sort of enjoyment from my first book, as they move on to the sequels, but reviews are few and far between.

HJC
    My novels Hidden Content , Hidden Content and Hidden Content are available from Amazon

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

You can find me on Twitter: Hidden Content

It gets difficult. I don't bother with reviews half as much as I used to. I know readers buy them, so most times I don't feel right asking for reviews. They either do or they don't.

But I wish other genres had the reader support that mine seems to. With reviews, Goodreads groups like the MM Goodreads group set up reviewing programs for authors. Say if you have a new release or you need life injecting into an old title, the MM group, which has over 25,000 members, run a monthly review section where you can offer no less than 10 copies, no more 30 copies for review on Amazon, Goodreads etc. Those who take a free copy have to review in order to say in the program and receive free copies. I've not tried it yet, but it's something I'm considering looking at.
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

Post a link to review your book at the end of the eBook.
    Make it easy for them.
    If they read it on a kindle, the last page automatically asks them to review the book.
    On my chrome book I have found that I can have mine set to review on Amazon & Goodreads at one time.
    Also, when I review via the kindle app on a chromebook, the review is nearly instant. It is posted within hours.
    But if you post online via the website, it may be 3 days before they tie it to your purchase and post it.

One thing I need to do is delete the appendix from my books because if they don;t read that, then they do not get the auto-trigger for review.
    The kindle triggers a review page when they hit the last page.
    My last page is usually 2 pages of glossary or appendix.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquilo View Post
    It gets difficult. I don't bother with reviews half as much as I used to. I know readers buy them, so most times I don't feel right asking for reviews. They either do or they don't.

But I wish other genres had the reader support that mine seems to. With reviews, Goodreads groups like the MM Goodreads group set up reviewing programs for authors. Say if you have a new release or you need life injecting into an old title, the MM group, which has over 25,000 members, run a monthly review section where you can offer no less than 10 copies, no more 30 copies for review on Amazon, Goodreads etc. Those who take a free copy have to review in order to say in the program and receive free copies. I've not tried it yet, but it's something I'm considering looking at.

Any feedback on the MM Goodreads group? I'm thinking of trying it.

Sorry to be coming late to the party, but what's the "MM group" on Goodreads?

It's actually M/M, which stands for Male-Male writers, romance writers.

There exist a large number of Goodreads groups you can join, many different topics, and M/M is one of them.