Autolife, or, Characters Writing Themselves

Thread: Autolife, or, Characters Writing Themselves

Autolife, or, Characters Writing Themselves

I always thought it was a cliche, and probably untrue, but it happened to me. I was writing a (still to be completed) fantasy novel, and I had this literally faceless, nondescript demonic character. She (at the time she wasn't even a she, just an it) wasn't even supposed to figure in the story beyond the barest cameo. Suddenly, and completely to my surprise and seemingly without my intervention, she came to life. She wasn't an It, she was a She, and more, she was the daughter of the exiled Prince of Hell. She took over the narrative, got herself stranded "Above" (ie on the earth, or the planet the story took place on anyway) and lost her memory, leading to a spell as a sex slave/prostitute and a change of name.

I sat back in wonder at all of this, and thought to myself "where the hell did this come from? This wasn't supposed to happen!" It really kicked the story up the arse yes, and I was glad it did as it was kind of stagnating a little, and now left me new avenues to explore, but I had never seen this happen before. It literally took place before my eyes, as if some other hand was guiding mine. Spooky!

Did that ever happen to you?
    Come away, human child to the waters and the wild
    With a faery hand in hand.
    For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. - WB Yeats "The Stolen Child"

I drink to forget, but I never forget to drink.

"If the real Jesus Christ were to stand up today
    He'd be gunned down cold by the CIA" - The The, "Armageddon Days Are Here (Again)" - Mind Bomb, 1989

The most destructive force on the planet is not nukes or global warming...it is the human ego. - Ralph Rotten

Hahahahaha!!!! Yes! You are not the only one this has happened to by far. I once had a character that I was going to just have a blurb about in one of my novels and then they came and hijacked the entire story. It happens to a lot of people every now and then. Reasonably speaking i think just about every character should be able to tell their story from their perspective and if a new cameo character just take's form then all the better for you as the author to explore.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

My characters, once created and put into whatever the situation happens to be, will always dictate what they will do and how they will react to situations.

"When the men on your chessboard get up and tell you where to go..." -Jefferson Airplane, "White Rabbit"
    Sometimes, I wrestle with my demons. Other times, we just snuggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
    I always thought it was a cliche, and probably untrue, but it happened to me. I was writing a (still to be completed) fantasy novel, and I had this literally faceless, nondescript demonic character. She (at the time she wasn't even a she, just an it) wasn't even supposed to figure in the story beyond the barest cameo. Suddenly, and completely to my surprise and seemingly without my intervention, she came to life. She wasn't an It, she was a She, and more, she was the daughter of the exiled Prince of Hell. She took over the narrative, got herself stranded "Above" (ie on the earth, or the planet the story took place on anyway) and lost her memory, leading to a spell as a sex slave/prostitute and a change of name.

I sat back in wonder at all of this, and thought to myself "where the hell did this come from? This wasn't supposed to happen!" It really kicked the story up the arse yes, and I was glad it did as it was kind of stagnating a little, and now left me new avenues to explore, but I had never seen this happen before. It literally took place before my eyes, as if some other hand was guiding mine. Spooky!

Did that ever happen to you?
    All the time. First big case was MaddHatter who showed up on the scene in my sci-fi novel series. Wound up being everyone's favorite character in the series. Roll with 'em.

Everyone in Pinocchio (current WIP) is like this. They all just showed up, and I've been having to roll with 'em. I've still got to steer them because otherwise they can lock up or fly way off script, but yeah... for the most part, I try to bug off and let them do what they're going to at this point. Work would've been something far less interesting without me letting them go off though. Ironically, it was supposed to be the most derivative thing I'd ever written, and it's morphed into the craziest thing ever. If I can pull it off, it might just be the best thing I'll ever write.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Well, she is a demon so maybe you were possessed by her. You should seek out a priest immediately. Godspeed.