Question for those using KDP Select

Thread: Question for those using KDP Select

Question for those using KDP Select

For folks using KDP Select and also choosing the FREE book promotion (not the countdown deal), how many total free downloads does your book usually get?

This year, I finally tried the FREE book promotion with my 3 nonfiction books and the total # of free downloads over a 5-day period varied from 100 to 700 per book. Is that typical?

Also, if you are getting alot more downloads for your book(s), were you advertising your book(s) during this period? I bought one FB ad for each of my books (I only spent $10 to $15 total per book on these ads). Not sure if I should I have spent more $$$ on ads to pump up the results of my free book promo or not.
    Mikeyboy_esq
    Check out my books for authors including SMART MARKETING FOR INDIE AUTHORS and 14 STEPS TO SELF-PUBLISHING A BOOK.
    Hidden Content

Keeping an eye on this. I haven't actually used the free promo yet, so it will be interesting to see if anyone else has, Mickey!
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

My free downloads have ranged from 9 or 10 (bad cover) to a few hundred.
    I have successfully used free book giveaways to help promote the 2nd or 3rd book in a series.
    Once the first book is played out, you might as well use it as a tool to get people to buy the sequels.

During a free book release I advertise on twitter & FB, maybe a mention on some forums.

But Amazon is all about the lists. When a book is free, it goes on the FREE BOOK list.
    And your float on the lists is determined by sales, activity, and reviews.
    So my books that have a lotta good reviews get floated to the top of the list, and my other books (the ones that do not have a lotta great reviews) sink on the lists and have lower exposure.

I gave a few hundred books away in previous years, but I've quit doing it, based on my sales and input from other Select users. It appears that very few of the downloads are getting read; people go through the free lists, download away, and slowly (or never) work through the collection.

IMO, price your book to sell (I go with 2.99, some 1.99) and go on. YRMV.

This was actually super insightful for me. I passed on Select when I published through KDP because I was wary of Amazon owning my IP. Now sorta regretting it. You guys are all talking about multiple hundreds of downloads through free KDP promotions and my book has been out for a year with a little over 300 downloads... I mainly denied the Select program because I wanted it to be perma-free through price matching with Barnes and Noble's nook, but maybe it's worth it to sign over my soul to the almighty drone lords... thoughts?
    Take your plotting skills to the next level with my intensive course! Hidden Content
    Get your writing analyzed by a published author, licensed teacher, and nationally certified English tutor Hidden Content
    Download my ebook, Strand: the Silver Radio Hidden Content
    Keep being awesome, and write on! Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Attas View Post
    This was actually super insightful for me. I passed on Select when I published through KDP because I was wary of Amazon owning my IP. Now sorta regretting it. You guys are all talking about multiple hundreds of downloads through free KDP promotions and my book has been out for a year with a little over 300 downloads... I mainly denied the Select program because I wanted it to be perma-free through price matching with Barnes and Noble's nook, but maybe it's worth it to sign over my soul to the almighty drone lords... thoughts?
    You do not sign over your IP; what Select does is hand over the right to market your book.

IMO/IME free is not the way to go. It actually works against your book being read because serious readers assume that books that are 0.99 and free are junk that can't sell.

The big value of Select is that Select members read your book for free (to them) and you get paid for page count. For example, so far this month my best selling novel has sold 2 physical copies, 111 e-books, and 82,000+ pages of Select reading. That means nearly 200 copies of that novel have been read through Select.

Select really gets your book out there.
    Hidden Content

Never pet a burning dog.

Quote Originally Posted by RWK View Post
    You do not sign over your IP; what Select does is hand over the right to market your book.

This last is not true. One can advertise their books, and actually it must be done, no matter what.

IMO/IME free is not the way to go. It actually works against your book being read because serious readers assume that books that are 0.99 and free are junk that can't sell.

Free can work, if done properly. Typically there need to be several books, well-written, genre rules followed, good cover and blurb, and ads. Just randomly putting a book free is not the way to go.

The big value of Select is that Select members read your book for free (to them) and you get paid for page count. For example, so far this month my best selling novel has sold 2 physical copies, 111 e-books, and 82,000+ pages of Select reading. That means nearly 200 copies of that novel have been read through Select.

Select really gets your book out there.

Select can be a great option, but like anything, it has to be worked properly. Some genres do better, some aren't always the best, like nonfiction. Ads must still be done, so potential readers know it's there.