Preface, Foreword, Afterword. What else?

Thread: Preface, Foreword, Afterword. What else?

Preface, Foreword, Afterword. What else?

Good sir and madam, please help clearing up these parts. What is/what to write in:

- Preface
    - Foreword
    - Afterword

What else do we 'need' before and after the story? What are the mandatory things?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm researching myself at the moment. Just looking to get some more insight about these parts around here.
    Last edited by Sir-KP; August 26th, 2019 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-KP View Post
    Good sir and madam, please help clearing up these parts. What is/what to write in:

- Preface
    - Foreword
    - Afterword

What else do we 'need' before and after the story? What are the mandatory things?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm researching myself at the moment. Just looking to get some more insight about these parts around here.
    The only mandatory part of your story is the story. All those other things are just add-ons, usually tacked on pre-publication, but well after the book is finished. None of it is needed to tell a complete story.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

- Preface
    - Foreword
    - Afterword

Thanks in advance.

Never read a fictional book that had all of those things, except if it was by a very famous writer where maybe the editor puts in a section proclaiming the genius of what is to come (which I skip over), followed by a section from the author themselves (which I usually skip over too). An afterword is just another term for epilogue. May or may not be needed.

If you want a general overview, wikipedia it.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

- Preface
    - Foreword
    - Afterword
    These are strictly optional.
    You can also have an appendix or glossary at the end of the book.
    But again, this is optional.

But credits for artwork, and other contributors is a thing.
    Copyright page is important as well.
    Dedication is fun, but not really necessary.
    Some books have Prologues, but those are not in vogue anymore, according to the internet.

Alright. Thanks y'all.

Well, I am not an experienced writer, but a preface is your view of your story while a foreword is usually a bunch of events or one event that happen before your story begins.
    And the afterword is a bunch of events or one event that happen after your story ends.

Sometimes, when your story takes place within a specific period of time, you may want to narrate events that happen long after that period or way before the beginning. Forewords and afterwords are used for chronology.

You may also need a biography of yourself if you're the author or a biography of the editor. These should go before the preface or after the afterword.

You may also need a table of contents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane Jiang View Post
    Well, I am not an experienced writer, but a preface is your view of your story while a foreword is usually a bunch of events or one event that happen before your story begins.
    And the afterword is a bunch of events or one event that happen after your story ends.

Sometimes, when your story takes place within a specific period of time, you may want to narrate events that happen long after that period or way before the beginning. Forewords and afterwords are used for chronology.

You may also need a biography of yourself if you're the author or a biography of the editor. These should go before the preface or after the afterword.

You may also need a table of contents.
    Right. I actually would like to have at least Foreword and Author's Bio considering this would be my first novel to release. Except it's not to self-conceitedly talking about myself, but rather to humbly introduce myself and my first work that I just hope people can enjoy as solely an entertainment.

The next thing would be Glossary.

But boy, I think it's not completely wrong either when people say those things (maybe except Glossary) will be skipped...

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Some books have Prologues, but those are not in vogue anymore, according to the internet.
    I like prologues.

I guess I'm not in vogue anymore.
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd