I'm always full of writing ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm always full of writing ideas.

I'm always full of writing ideas.

When I'm ready to write I never get what people call "writers block". If I can't write the reason is always something else was a higher priority and I didn't have the spare time to write or I needed sleep and couldn't keep my writing quality at a satisfactory level.

If I'm not hungry or sleepy and don't have a higher priority and if there's nothing there to distract me, when I actually finally am ready to write, I never have a problem getting the words on the paper. I usually write a few thousand words per sitting unless something distracts me and I need to stop for awhile or if it was close to bedtime and got too sleepy to go on.

I suppose I'm lucky that I don't get this writer's block that I hear about.
    Last edited by Art Man; August 22nd, 2019 at 11:13 PM.

Have you published anything?
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Quote Originally Posted by Art Man View Post
    When I'm to write I never get what people call "writers block". If I can't write the reason is always something else was a higher priority and I didn't have the spare time to write or I needed sleep and couldn't keep my writing quality at a satisfactory level.

If I'm not hungry or sleepy and don't have a higher priority and if there's nothing there to distract me, when I actually finally am ready to write, I never have a problem getting the words on the paper. I usually write a few thousand words per sitting unless something distracts me and I need to stop for awhile or if it was close to bedtime and got too sleepy to go on.

I suppose I'm lucky that I don't get this writer's block that I hear about.
    If ya got it, flaunt it?

Maybe you haven't been at writing long enough or just not writing long enough fiction to suffer said infamous affliction. Keep at it, buddy.

Or maybe you just haven't found the right story to properly put the screws to you, yet, but so long you're not dead, there's still time. You, too, might be so fortunate as to receive the blessings of a proper writer's block kinda story--the kind that doesn't cooperate no matter what you do, that burrows like a tapeworm in your brain and won't let you sleep, with the sorts of characters you both passionately love and want to murder in the worst ways your twisted mind can manage--if nothing else to make the nightmare that is writing said brainworm of a story end.

But see, even killing off everyone in the story won't end the nightmare. You'll know you cheated, and you'll go back to it--like a toxic relationship--You'll drag yourself back to her many-splendored cave of wonders with grandiose apologies and promises to do her right this time.

And if you don't finish her off to her satisfaction, she'll haunt your soul after your body hits the grave like a sodden sack of rotten produce. You finish her off right, and she'll live long after you're dead, but at least she won't haunt you in hell.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	24248

(bet you can't tell what my WIP has been like at all... for the last ten years...)
    Last edited by seigfried007; August 23rd, 2019 at 12:04 AM.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Have you published anything?
    I've only been published twice, professionally, in my life. I got two novels in lock up, one of them already made the lit agent rounds. Got some good responses from lit agents but ultimately didn't sell it. Right now I'm working in higher priorities than getting a novel published, which takes a ton of time and energy.

Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    Maybe you haven't been at writing long enough
    I wrote my first story in 1997 or maybe 1996. There were years that I didn't write, not because I couldn't, but because I was doing something else. Same with music. I always get ideas when I record or write new stuff, even when I suck ass, I come up with something halfway decent. But I know what they mean when they say writer's block, I've jammed with people before who for the life of them could not play anything new or interesting like were chilled in a block of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Man View Post
    I wrote my first story in 1997 or maybe 1996. There were years that I didn't write, not because I couldn't, but because I was doing something else. Same with music. I always get ideas when I record or write new stuff, even when I suck ass, I come up with something halfway decent. But I know what they mean when they say writer's block, I've jammed with people before who for the life of them could not play anything new or interesting like were chilled in a block of snow.
    If you're at it long enough, you'll probably get it too. The longer and deeper and more complicated the work is, the more likely you'll eventually get writer's block with it. If you stick to short stuff for the most part, you're less likely to get it.

That said, I was stuck on a "short story" of ~10K for nine years, and my current WIP for ten (both started in 2009). Both were exceptionally mentally, emotionally draining things to write. Also, I transitioned to another state, two jobs, other projects, went to college, had to deal with life below the poverty line in about the worst neighborhood in the city while raising three small special needs children... stuff like that adds up, and it makes writer's block a lot more likely.

Count your lucky stars and knock on wood.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Just wrote a huge long post and decided better on posting it.

I started writing for serious in 1994 and was first published in 1995. Been published semi-pro for short stories a couple times since then, but stopped subbing altogether in the early 2000s because I couldn't afford postage and wanted to concentrate on my long fiction, which has sadly been mostly lost (six novels entirely gone).

I've got several more novels completed, but because of some (bad) advice (from a professional novelist and instructor), I don't want to publish any work as part of a series without completing the entire series first. I hate the idea of being an author who dies partway through a series--and there have been several times already that I've nearly died, so I'm not exactly confident.

I've completed hundreds of stories and nine novels, and only suffered writer's block on two novels and one short story in 25 years. Pinocchio is the winner for causing me writer's block twice, and that 10K short is the winner for longest straight stretch of blockage before being completed. First offender, however, was sadly lost, so I have to restart the whole multi-novel series from scratch... and I'm not in a hurry to do it but looking forward to eventually getting back to that project and making it even better.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

If I wrote all the stories I wanna write, I could stay busy for the next 5 years without needing a new idea.
    It's not ideas that I lack...but time.

"Time is the fire in which we burn..."

I'm not sure what the discussion aspect of this thread is about as there doesn't seem to be a question or anything particularly needing a response.

I must say, though, that it would behoove us all to be mindful that posting about how much writing we do/how limitless or great our ideas are, especially without any evidence being offered or any prompting, is a little cheap if it comes without a point to it.

Like, okay, you want a medal for having ideas and being able to write them down? I write constantly and I don't get writers block either. It means nothing. At least not to anybody besides the lucky bragger. It doesn't help others to say you don't need help.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    I'm not sure what the discussion aspect of this thread is about as there doesn't seem to be a question or anything particularly needing a response.

I must say, though, that it would behoove us all to be mindful that posting about how much writing we do/how limitless or great our ideas are, especially without any evidence being offered or any prompting, is a little cheap if it comes without a point to it.

Like, okay, you want a medal for having ideas and being able to write them down? I write constantly and I don't get writers block either. It means nothing. At least not to anybody besides the lucky bragger. It doesn't help others to say you don't need help.
    Well, I always see these "writers block" threads and really, I cant relate. Thought I would make my own "opposite of writers block" thread to show that this plague isn't the case with everyone. Maybe others would come out of the woodwork with their own advice.

My advice would be plenty of rest, a good meal, nothing distracting, nothing of greater importance hanging over you, get your privacy in order and don't overthink yourself into a bout of motionless penwork.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast