Greetings!

Thread: Greetings!

Blog Entries

Greetings!

Hi everyone,

I just joined the forums and thought I should tell you a bit about myself. In brief, I emigrated to the US as a kid and had a bit of a rough start adapting to the culture. Sometime in high school my English teacher told me I had a knack for writing essays, so when I went to university I decided to major in English.

Low and behold, 2 degrees later I'm sitting at my desk and considering my direction in life. Recently I quit my job in eCommerce and spent close to a month travelling around Europe. Now back in the States I've decided to dive headfirst into this writing game and see what I can make of it.

My lifelong interest has been painting and I've studied and learned how to do this pretty well over the course of 10 years. Now, I want to dedicate the same patience and time to perfecting story telling ability. The university taught me a lot about grammar and research, but I think creative writing goes beyond that. Above all I think it requires discovering some truths about life and this comes from practice and experience.

I'd be a liar if I said I didn't care about publication, but I'm beginning to see that as being sort of secondary. Most of all I just want to learn how to write truthfully and create stories that people enjoy reading.

I joined the forums because, like most writers, I don't always feel confident or creative. I usually don't know what I'm doing and the writing process sometimes feels like trying to open a coconut with a toothpick. I hope that I can overcome these moments of doubt by talking to like-minded people.

I look forward to meeting all of you and sharing ideas!

Blog Entries
    Hi Umree - I'm a poet here at the forums, and welcome you. You will find all folks here, and a great community of creative thinkers. Take your time to get to know the threads and you will be most happy that you stumbled upon this wonderful site. I have found it to be one of the most intuitive platforms to use, I love the simplicity of the site. As well, the people here are very welcoming. As I said, I am a poet, and so can't help you with the writing of stories part of this site, but writers are writers and there are many talented folks here to mingle with. At any rate, welcome and hope you enjoy Writing Forums. See you on the threads. Welcome!
    ~Thus spin the ink of a pen into a web of magical fairy dreams...

Hidden Content
    Blog, Poetry, Articles, Calendar, More.....

Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Thank you for your kind welcome! I look forward to exploring the site

Quote Originally Posted by Umree View Post
    I usually don't know what I'm doing and the writing process sometimes feels like trying to open a coconut with a toothpick. I hope that I can overcome these moments of doubt by talking to like-minded people.
    Well, you've mastered metaphor already (or was that one a simile)? Hope your enjoying the site!

HJC
    My novels Hidden Content , Hidden Content and Hidden Content are available from Amazon

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

You can find me on Twitter: Hidden Content