Question on Querying

Thread: Question on Querying

Question on Querying

Starting to think about agents and who might be looking for a book like mine. I stumbled across a publishing company who had a few different agents who are all looking for similar things in a book.

Is it looked down upon to query more than one agent within a company? Can I send a query to multiple agents in the same company or if I send it to one person does anyone else look at it?

Thanks so much!

Query as many as you want.

Send out those queries, and don;t look back.
    Many writers get their guts tied up in knots awaiting those replies, and often it effects their writing negatively.
    When I query, I keep a list of who I have sent a book to, just so I don't spam them accidentally.
    But that's the end of the process, I don't track them or keep dates in & out...I fire & forget.

Get a copy of Writer's Guide-Agents, but you'll usually wind up using their web page.
    Also, go through a book store and find similar content to yorn, and look & see who published their book.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Query as many as you want.

Send out those queries, and don;t look back.
    Many writers get their guts tied up in knots awaiting those replies, and often it effects their writing negatively.
    When I query, I keep a list of who I have sent a book to, just so I don't spam them accidentally.
    But that's the end of the process, I don't track them or keep dates in & out...I fire & forget.

Get a copy of Writer's Guide-Agents, but you'll usually wind up using their web page.
    Also, go through a book store and find similar content to yorn, and look & see who published their book.
    I think the OP is asking about querying multiple agents who work at the same company, not querying multiple agents generally - the latter is definitely okay, necessary actually, but the former...

Read the submission rules, OP. All reputable agencies have them. Usually this is covered and usually, in my experience, it’s a negative. There are reasons for that, I guess. For one thing, if you query two agents at the same place and they both like your book, it’s potentially rather awkward. Nobody wants to feel like they’re competing within an organization.

Usually how this works in theory is if an agent doesn’t feel they’re a good fit but think somebody else in the agency might be they will pass it on to them. I don’t know how often that happens in practice, but that’s the idea. So just query the one that seems the best fit for you (check on their other work) and if all else fails, roll the dice I guess.

Lucky is spot on. Choose one agent at the agncy. Send to them, then leave it up to them to decide if it has promise as a sequential submission: e.g., that they want to pass it on to another agent at their company because it has promise.
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

Thanks for the replies! That makes sense, along the lines of what I was thinking, but didn't want to miss an opportunity to query more! Thanks!