Active voice discussion - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Active voice discussion

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    What does multiple POV have to do with active/passive voice?
    Dunno, maybe there was confusion about "passive vs active" POVs as opposed to "passive vs active" verbs/voice/sentence structure.

To avoid passive POVs, multi-POVs (or just writing characters with more agency) could be attempted. I don't see how POV otherwise relates to passive voice either.

Passive character POVs are probably more likely to use passive voice because of the "Life is doing them" as opposed to "They're doing life" aspect. They are acted upon instead of acting. Ergo, using multi-POV with more active characters could be a way to reduce the abundance of passive voice... I suppose.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    I know this is a bit of banter (and I like it!) but I do have sort of a real question: Do you actually think about the technical aspects of writing while ​you are actually writing?

I don't. I honestly don't think of anything like that during the process itself. Maybe at the editing stage. A little. But it's less a case of analyzing sentences as being active/passive, more a case of seeing if the sentence works and, if for some reason it does not, maybe looking at whether it has been framed in the correct way - if I am using the right words and in the right order.
    I agree that some people can write great instinctively. Much like a great musician who can't read music. I can tell a great story around the camp-fire, however, when I first started writing, my SPAG was so bad it destroyed the story.

I do think about the technical aspects while I'm writing, and for me at least, it improves my drafts enormously. So, studying technique, terminology, and the art of writing itself has improved me. And that's a good thing. At least now, when I write an incomplete sentence, I know it's incomplete. I do so for effect. Same for active or passive voice. At least I know what they are.

I know I have a long way to go and a great deal to learn. It is quite satisfying to turn out a reasonably good first draft with just a few mistakes to fix later.

I think about exterminating the wases while I'm writing, but I edit as I go.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    Dunno, maybe there was confusion about "passive vs active" POVs as opposed to "passive vs active" verbs/voice/sentence structure.
    You can have passive protagonists! The MC in War of the Worlds is seen to sit around and watch the events unfold as the invasion from Mars starts. Then he's mostly seen to run, with microscopic bacteria being the real heros in the story!
    Running on Id, no Ego or Super-ego at the helm

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Aquilo View Post
    You can have passive protagonists! The MC in War of the Worlds is seen to sit around and watch the events unfold as the invasion from Mars starts. Then he's mostly seen to run, with microscopic bacteria being the real heros in the story!
    Oh I know, I've written quite a few. They have their active moments (even protagonist in WotW ran like hell and hid). I think passive protagonists do require more interesting, dramatic stuff to happen around them to work for a reader. WotW works because there's a lot of weird crap going on around the protagonist.

Surrey's fairly similar in my WIP Pinocchio. For the most part, he's caught up in other people's schemes. That doesn't mean he's never active or assertive. Doesn't mean he doesn't do a fair share of manipulating other people. He can be a proper lying cheating bastard, and while he has thrown some punches, he was still a passive participant in his most violent episodes (throwing chairs through windows, elbowing an NSA agent in the throat, then kicking him in the face and filching the car keys...) because he's basically possessed.

But because he's passive, I have to actively exterminate wases and passive voice because I don't want to bog down the narrative. It takes work to write a passive character actively (wipes sweat from brow, shakes head).
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    It takes work to write a passive character actively (wipes sweat from brow, shakes head).
    Lol, boy it does. Hell, just writing a sentence on my part is taking its 'god you're slacking' toll.
    Running on Id, no Ego or Super-ego at the helm

Hidden Content

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234