Covers

Thread: Covers

Covers

Whether you choose to accept it or not, most initial book sales are due to the cover. The cover gets the potential reader to stop and see if there is something there worth checking out. With that in mind, what do you have as the cover for your book, your series? Do you do the job yourself or hire an artist? Examples are always appreciated. Here is the one I did for the final volume in my high fantasy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Witch of Angbar.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	24215

This is the cover for Tankers, the YA scifi novel I'm working on.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tankers cover.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	24239

I like the Tankers cover. Not so much the Witch cover tho.
    Is Tankers commissioned art work? Looks too custom for standard clipart.

I have used photoshopped clipart, and I have also commissioned artwork.
    Some books I have been able to find artwork for at canstockphoto.com
    But a few simply needed custom artwork, like my latest book. Not a lotta clipart on Ming the Merciless.
    But for the Calizona series, there was a surprising amount of really great clipart (post-apocalyptic story)

The one downside to buying off-the-rack clipart is that other people can buy that same artwork.
    There are like 10 books out there that use the same artist that I did for the first Calizona book.

Actually, Ralph, I cheat. I have over 50 years experience as a fine and a graphic artist. For me, writing was an escape from the drudgery of art (can you believe that?). I did both covers using my own drawing and painting skills and manipulating the scans via Photoshop. I used Adobe Illustrator for the typesetting and finished that as a Photoshop layer.

If you're looking for feedback, I'd find a better font for the Witch book.
    You should zoom in on the cleavage.

Tis some good artwork.

I'd provide my own examples but as I mainly write short stories, traditionally published, I don't have much experience creating covers. Here's a cover from one of the anthologies I am in, though, and I think it's pretty good.

Name:	51vrsZWjjiL._SY346_.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	24247
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mbo47XGl.jpg   81af+MCATTL.jpg   Do-You-Want-to-Start-a-Scandal-Tessa-Dare-cover.jpg  
    Last edited by luckyscars; August 23rd, 2019 at 04:33 AM.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

I was trade published originally, then when I won my rights back, I went self-pub and went with a cover designer. To be honest, I prefer self-pub. You usually only get 2-3 changes with on cover design with a publisher.

Publisher's 1st edition:

Name:	Backlash_CvrPDF.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	24252

2nd edition, self publish.

Name:	FBBL.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	24253
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

Hidden Content

Aquilo: 2nd cover is way better.

Scars: Looks like your publisher is pushing that book well. It is already in 4 digit sales ranking in all 3 categories, and it is not due for release until Sep 1.
    I grabbed a copy so I can post a review on Sep 2. That'll help feed the algorithmic beast.