The Difference Engine

Thread: The Difference Engine

The Difference Engine

By William Gibson and Bruce Sterling. Just finished reading it.

It was a well written but confusing story. There's lots about it i didn't understand, and while i enjoyed it i don't think i can read it again.

Has anyone else read it and able to offer some insight?

I like both authors, but I find Gibson is either fab or drab. People raved about, "Count Zero," "Mona Lisa Overdrive," and, "Neuromancer." They left me flat. For my money, "Johnny Mnemonic," "Virtual Light," "Burning Chrome," and "All Tomorrow's Parties," and even, "Idoru," were far better novels. Of those, "Burning Chrome," and, "Virtual Light," were my favorites. I tried to get into, "The Difference Engine," and even, "Pattern Recognition," and just couldn't. If a book doesn't really grab me within the first fifty pages, it usually gets donated to Goodwill.

I've read the neuromancer trilogy and thought they were generally good - characters were a bit wooden but interesting plots, world and concept.

Virtual Light will be one of the next books i read. Will probably be the last I read of his work regardless.

"Virtual Light" is incredible. You'll like it. "Burning Chrome" is a collection of really kick-ass short stories.