Is it bad to have a simple or common basic idea for your writing?

Thread: Is it bad to have a simple or common basic idea for your writing?

Is it bad to have a simple or common basic idea for your writing?

In my most recent story I've been writing I noticed that my works plot is very common and been done quite often. Is it more important to have a unique idea or a unique presentation? Should I try to change it or start from scratch?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruto Neoko View Post
    In my most recent story I've been writing I noticed that my works plot is very common and been done quite often. Is it more important to have a unique idea or a unique presentation? Should I try to change it or start from scratch?
    I think if you can present this simple plot engagingly and with realistic characters and quality writing and subplots and whatever else then it needn't matter too much. That said, people do like an original plot but that doesn't necessarily mean "complex", just ... different.

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

There are only so many original plots anyway. It's more about the execution rather than the plot itself.

It's probably something you are comfortable with it? it's hard to say without looking at your books and seeing how similar the plots are.

I too have noticed that some of my books have similar plots but there a bit of an excuse for this as at least three of them involve war to unite city-states/nations under one banner. Though this all takes place on the same world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraroel View Post
    It's more about the execution rather than the plot itself.
    I enjoy stories with familiar plotlines that veer off in unexpected directions. Thinking up ways to divert the reader's expectations can be fun.

It is nearly impossible to write a story in this day and age, and not be at least a little derivative of something already written.
    But the plot is secondary to the characters. If you craft great characters, and let them interact in fun & clever ways, then the plot is simply the stage upon which they act.

Where the simple plot can get you into trouble is the hook & blurb.
    Readers see your book in this order:
    1) The cover
    2) The hook, followed closely by the blurb
    3) The first 30 pages

So if you are weak on those first 2 items, they will never even read your sample pages.
    So, can you take your plot and spin a great hook out of it?

Hook: That line, the elevator pitch, that makes people think "Oooh, that sounds interesting!"

Forget the damn plot.

Create a character who is real, drop them into the pot like a frog, and slowly crank the heat until they either boil or leap out. That's all it takes.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Quote Originally Posted by Haruto Neoko View Post
    I find that, for the most part, readers care more about connecting with your characters than they do about the story's uniqueness. Sure, having a unique concept is great, but it's certainly not required.

Once you get them to buy your book, the priority of importance is as follows:

1) Characters
    2) Characters
    3) Characters
    4) Great interactions between those characters
    5)
    6) A good plot