Old English/Germanic proverbs

Thread: Old English/Germanic proverbs

Old English/Germanic proverbs

I'm about to embark on a journey of writing a piece set in early medieval England/western Scandinavia, so in order to understand the then mindset, I'd need to familiarize myself with as many (Anglo-Saxon) Old English proverbs as possible. Your contribution would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by Ken11; August 17th, 2019 at 08:16 PM.

"Fuck Off" is a personal favorite of mine. 100% Anglo Saxon.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    I read you ; there is a video on Youtube that explains why we curse in Anglo-Saxon, and order fancy food in French.

But, let's be serious: anyone familiar with such proverbs?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    I consider "boozimacoo" to be far more subtle. It was an Anglo-Saxon corruption of the French "baiser mon cul" and a Saxon saying it to a Norman would be risking his life. Hence Saxons were actually likely to curse in bad French, at least under their breath. This may be the origin of the remark "Pardon my French."
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.