Has Anyone Ever Wanted To Intentionally Write a Bad Story?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Ever Wanted To Intentionally Write a Bad Story?

Blog Entries

Has Anyone Ever Wanted To Intentionally Write a Bad Story?

I know of a group of people who wrote a bad story on purpose just to make a point. They got it published only for the publisher to pull it from the store as soon as they could. I personally have felt an intense pull towards the idea of writing the worst story in existence just to see if I could get it published. And to see if anyone would actually read it. Has anyone else ever felt the need to let there inner novice just run loose and create the worst piece of literature in existence?
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

Dude, you ain't so awesomely bad as to compete with the likes of My Immortal. Juss sit yo butt down, son.

https://myimmortalrehost.webs.com/

https://myimmortal.fandom.com/wiki/M.../Chapters_1-11

"Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    Dude, you ain't so awesomely bad as to compete with the likes of My Immortal. Juss sit yo butt down, son.

https://myimmortalrehost.webs.com/

https://myimmortal.fandom.com/wiki/M.../Chapters_1-11

Pfft! LOL! I can't even read the description without my eyes bleeding. But i want to actually get the worst book published. There should be a Guinness World record for worst piece of literary work ever. And I want it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    Pfft! LOL! I can't even read the description without my eyes bleeding. But i want to actually get the worst book published. There should be a Guinness World record for worst piece of literary work ever. And I want it!
    Dude, you gonna be bleeding out every orifice you have (and some you didn't even know you had) if you think you can compete with the likes of My Immortal.

Think of all the terrible fiction you'd have to read just to be sure yours was the worst. You'd have to actually compare yourself to these things! So you'd have to read them! And there's probably thousands of similarly awful POS manuscripts out there to be pouring over--just to be sure yours was the worst!

And then--to make it even worse--taste is subjective. Yours can never be objectively the worst POS manuscript because somebody out there is going to disagree with you! and someone out there will be writing to compete with you (even if they're not really trying! They might just be that earnestly bad!).
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    Dude, you gonna be bleeding out every orifice you have (and some you didn't even know you had) if you think you can compete with the likes of My Immortal.

Think of all the terrible fiction you'd have to read just to be sure yours was the worst. You'd have to actually compare yourself to these things! So you'd have to read them! And there's probably thousands of similarly awful POS manuscripts out there to be pouring over--just to be sure yours was the worst!

And then--to make it even worse--taste is subjective. Yours can never be objectively the worst POS manuscript because somebody out there is going to disagree with you! and someone out there will be writing to compete with you (even if they're not really trying! They might just be that earnestly bad!).
    I see your stakes and raise you my check list. I'll see if I can at the vary least scrounge up a check list of the worst pieces of fiction and see what they all have in common. Then I'll be sure to hit one of those boxes with mail and hammer. Or I'll just wing it and see just what I can come up with. Not trying to argue your point. I'll loose enough blood to drown a red cross supply depot but I'm the end I'd like to see if I can at least leave a footprint In the literary world.

I never wrote a bad story intentionally, but I did once write a book that was almost entirely character driven, just to see if I could pull off a Seinfeld.
    The book sold...meh.
    Readers liked the story, but it never really fulfilled its potential.
    So that was a 150,000 word experiment.

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    I'll loose enough blood to drown a red cross supply depot but I'm the end I'd like to see if I can at least leave a footprint In the literary world.
    Hmmm...loose? Rojack, if you keep up the craft errors, you may very well be on your way to writing the absolutely worst book ever!

I just heard an interesting thing today. While listening to a podcast on writing fiction, the published author being interviewed noted there is a distinct difference between telling a good story and telling a well-crafted story. The difference, he said, was that the good story will outsell the well-crafted story every time. Is this true? I dunno.

The point is, according to this certain & so far nameless published author (because I don't remember who he was & am too lazy to go look!), a badly written book is not the same as a poorly told story. Therefore, based on this certain author's advice, you should just try to tell the best story possible -- and not worry so much about how it's told.

I'm not sure I'm all on board with his thinking. Except for this. As a teenager, my then favorite author began as a rather poor writer but excellent storyteller. Surely that statement, that he was a poor writer, would be contested if I shared who that was (as he went on to become quite famous in his genre). But, the last time I tried reading this favorite YA story, I found myself mentally stopping and correcting every last irksome error I ran into. Now, maybe it's not quite as bad as I remember it, but his storytelling did far surpase his then ability to craft the story he told. So, who knows. Maybe certain podcast author is right and we should worry less about craft than about the story we tell.
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

Michael Creighton was no great shakes as a writer. He wrote at a 3rd grade level.
    But he had some great ideas, and had friends who could turn them into good movies.

But no, never in a million years would I intentionally write a bad story.
    I don't get up at 0400 every day, seven days a week, just to write crap.
    I am always trying to write a better story than the last.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Michael Creighton was no great shakes as a writer. He wrote at a 3rd grade level.
    But he had some great ideas, and had friends who could turn them into good movies.

But no, never in a million years would I intentionally write a bad story.
    I don't get up at 0400 every day, seven days a week, just to write crap.
    I am always trying to write a better story than the last.
    The second part I totally concur with.

The first... well, I hope you don't mean Michael Crichton. If you think that's third grade material... yeesh.

Grade level reading calculators are kind of a joke anyway and are determined in many ways. There are numerous calculators for it, and they all look at different things--sentence structure, sentence length, word count, big words, uncommon words... A lot can go into it, but not all calculators look at the same things or grade them the same way.

Jurassic Park, for instance, generally scores between 6 and 9 by most calculators--and I can tell you that, while I read it in sixth grade, I didn't understand it nearly as well as I do now with a BS in biology--and that book's 30 years old.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Pearson View Post
    I just heard an interesting thing today. While listening to a podcast on writing fiction, the published author being interviewed noted there is a distinct difference between telling a good story and telling a well-crafted story. The difference, he said, was that the good story will outsell the well-crafted story every time. Is this true? I dunno.

The point is, according to this certain & so far nameless published author (because I don't remember who he was & am too lazy to go look!), a badly written book is not the same as a poorly told story. Therefore, based on this certain author's advice, you should just try to tell the best story possible -- and not worry so much about how it's told.
    You make a great point there. Storytelling and literary crafting are similar but very different. In storytelling, the author or orator already has the whole story in memory and will relate it to you in a much more direct fashion and each time he tells that story the wording might change and his emphasis on certain details might shift but in the end he tells essentially the same story every time.

Crafting a novel on the other hand is much different and often times an author will start at point A and finish at point B and not really know what he is going to write next. Or he will plot out the book and jump back and forth filling in each chapter. Point is that crafting a novel is a much different task than relaying a story. A novel author doesn't memorize his work and oftentimes would write certain passages once and forget about them and perhaps never revisit them.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast