Has Anyone Ever Wanted To Intentionally Write a Bad Story? - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Ever Wanted To Intentionally Write a Bad Story?

I get the point the thread starter is trying to make here and truth is, before this era of self-publishing opportunity where writers of all skill levels can publish their works to an audience, there was a quality control on pretty much all mass print publishing and quite simply "really poor books" were hard to find. You could say that a mass publisher was like a filter and although a book might be uninteresting and mediocre, it would never outright be toilet paper. But nowadays I bet you could say that because of the self-publishing bubble on the internet and so many ways for authors to publish no matter how bad they are, bad storys probably now outnumber the good ones.

Personally I never had intentionally written a steaming heap. I might write something mediocre and unimaginative or I might use bad prose or whatnot but it isn't ever intentional. More like the product of poor preparation. (lack of sleep, bad mood, malnourishment, etcetera)

Here's another one you'll have to compete with: The Flame Dragon Knight light novel, which was supposed to be part of the Berserk canon (even had some Miura illustrations!)

Spoiler: it's a horrendous dumpster fire.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Megan Pearson View Post
    Hmmm...loose? Rojack, if you keep up the craft errors, you may very well be on your way to writing the absolutely worst book ever!
    LoL this is actually due to my crappy spell check on my phone. It auto-corrects certain words even if they don't need it. I hate it with a passion. But it at least means that i could potentially write the story on my phone and nail the bad grammer.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

Quote Originally Posted by Art Man View Post
    I get the point the thread starter is trying to make here and truth is, before this era of self-publishing opportunity where writers of all skill levels can publish their works to an audience, there was a quality control on pretty much all mass print publishing and quite simply "really poor books" were hard to find. You could say that a mass publisher was like a filter and although a book might be uninteresting and mediocre, it would never outright be toilet paper. But nowadays I bet you could say that because of the self-publishing bubble on the internet and so many ways for authors to publish no matter how bad they are, bad stories probably now outnumber the good ones.

Actually the Amazon algorithm quickly separates the chaff from the whey.
    It works like a centrifuge, and all the crap gets sifted to the bottom of a very deep ocean.
    If you have sales & reviews then your book is floated higher than those that are dumpster fires.
    Bad books sink so deep in the lists that they are not even visible. (except in KU-KOLL).

And Michael Creighton's writing level was pedestrian compared to Clancy, Heinlein, Heller, Rowling, or Grisham.
    His writing is one step above "See Dick run..."
    But he had some fascinating ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    And Michael Creighton's writing level was pedestrian compared to Clancy, Heinlein, Heller, Rowling, or Grisham.
    His writing is one step above "See Dick run..."
    But he had some fascinating ideas.
    I'm still not sure if you're meaning Creighton or Crichton (sound like they'd be pronounced the same, but they're not the same person). I found very, very little about Creighton (other than that he won an award for the web series, Jack in a Box). You can lambaste that dude til the cows come home for all I care, but Crichton's a hill I'll die on.

You're free to be wrong if you think Crichton's simplistic 3rd grade material. It's a free country...

...but according to Scholastic, every gosh dang book Crichton put out is rated Grade level 9-12

same as Clancy, Heinlein, Heller and Grisham. And Rowling's only rated 3-8 for pretty much everything. Biggest gap was 5-12 for Goblet of Fire, and I have no idea why anyone would ever think such a thing as 12th grade material out of that book (so I'm inclined to think it's a typo). All of her other books on the site were 3-5 or 5-8--all of which are under every other author you mentioned.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Assuming you are a relatively young adult now, assuming you live an expected lifespan, you have about 20,000 more days, or 480,000 more hours, left of your life. At most.

Approximately 1/3 of that you will spend asleep. So 13, 000 days, or about 300,000 hours, is your remaining time on earth, of which if you're lucky a fraction of it will be spared to write. That's it. That's all.

Does anybody actually think spending time writing bullshit to 'make a point' is a good investment?

If so, have at it. Some of us would prefer to spend the time we do have to be as good as we can at something, not pursuing five minutes of fame for the sake of internet lol's.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

A very respected and best-selling science fiction author was given a challenge to write a story so hackneyed, so misogynistic and so filled with cliches that no publisher would take it. Unfortunately, this author's agent was in on the gag. The manuscript, to the author's chagrin, was not only accepted but he was then asked to write a sequel, and then another, eventually completing over a dozen volumes in the series.

I was told this story by another author who apparently knows the fellow involved. He would not tell me which series it was, but I have my suspicions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RLBeers View Post
    A very respected and best-selling science fiction author was given a challenge to write a story so hackneyed, so misogynistic and so filled with cliches that no publisher would take it. Unfortunately, this author's agent was in on the gag. The manuscript, to the author's chagrin, was not only accepted but he was then asked to write a sequel, and then another, eventually completing over a dozen volumes in the series.

I was told this story by another author who apparently knows the fellow involved. He would not tell me which series it was, but I have my suspicions.
    Wow. Good on him for being able to churn out and entire series based on the concept alone. Now i wish I could read this series just to see how it go's.

There's thread for bad writing here if anyone fancies honing the art.
    My novels Hidden Content , Hidden Content and Hidden Content are available from Amazon

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

You can find me on Twitter: Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Assuming you are a relatively young adult now, assuming you live an expected lifespan, you have about 20,000 more days, or 480,000 more hours, left of your life. At most.

Approximately 1/3 of that you will spend asleep. So 13, 000 days, or about 300,000 hours, is your remaining time on earth, of which if you're lucky a fraction of it will be spared to write. That's it. That's all.

Does anybody actually think spending time writing bullshit to 'make a point' is a good investment?

If so, have at it. Some of us would prefer to spend the time we do have to be as good as we can at something, not pursuing five minutes of fame for the sake of internet lol's.
    I have to say that for me it's therapeutic. It will help me get all of my junk & scrapped ideas out of my head and into one big glob of a mess. If i decide to see if it can be published then hey I'll gladly do it under one my many aliases. If it happens to actually become famous for being the worst steaming pile of garbage ever written then hey props for me.

Personally I don't really care about game or money when it comes to my writing. I write so I canshare my imagination with the world and so I can tell awesome stories. If I happen to get famous for it then great. If I happen to get only one sell oh well then. I personally don't see it as a waste of my time doing something I love whether it be writing a serious piece of fiction or writing the next great troll fiction.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast