Is IngramSpark Worth it?

Thread: Is IngramSpark Worth it?

Is IngramSpark Worth it?

I considered this for a while, but have been hearing different thoughts on IngramSpark. Some people say it's not worth it just to reach more readers. Some say it's a good idea if you have children's books written, as parents will prefer to read them as paperbacks instead of eBooks. Also, the parents will be buying the books for their kids.
    While I have a print copy of my first series installment on Amazon, I'm working on one for the second book. I'm still wondering if it's worth it to publish paperbacks through IngramSpark for both books and other future children's books. I think IngramSpark reaches a lot of walk-in stores.
    So, while I've reached a lot more people after making my first installment eBook free, few have reviewed, subscribed to my mailing list, or bought the sequel, despite the links and requests I put in (which were communicated in a fun way). I know IngramSpark charges forty-nine dollars for print-publishing while Amazon KDP and Draft2Digital are free. If I want to get more attention, is IngramSpark worth it? Or should I pass on that, even with children's novels?
    Children's Fantasy Author
    Hidden Content

Purchase my book at Hidden Content

IS is good if you wanna sell a lotta print copies to book stores and libraries.
    Although Amazon is king of eBooks, a lot of brick & mortar stores don't order print from them, but that may have been because until recently they used CreateSpace.
    But now that Amazon has its own print service, that may change.

If you want to sell a hardcover, you will need IS or another distributor b/c KDP does NOT do hard covers. I distributed my first book (which includes a hard cover version) directly through IS and also distribute my last 2 books indirectly through IS by choosing the extended distribution option in KDP. In other words, if you use KDP to distribute your paperback book, you can opt in to have that paperback distributed through MOST (but not all) of Ingram Spark's distribution channel. The downside to doing the KDP extended distribution option is that KDP takes a cut of royalties, whereas if you directly distribute your books through IS then you don't have to share any royalties with KDP. I hope that helps.
    Mikeyboy_esq
    Check out my books for authors including SMART MARKETING FOR INDIE AUTHORS and 14 STEPS TO SELF-PUBLISHING A BOOK.
    Hidden Content

Expanded distribution also pumps up your price significantly. Use it and you risk having your books look like they were published by a Vanity Press.

I always avoid expanded distribution on Amazon.
    On Nook, you have no choice, and your cover prices are all sky-high.

Oh ok. So, basically, publishing through Ingram Spark won't necessarily reach more readers and bring in more reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by sunaynaprasad View Post
    Oh ok. So, basically, publishing through Ingram Spark won't necessarily reach more readers and bring in more reviews.
    If used properly it can bring in a whole new bunch of customers: Libraries & brick 'n mortar book stores.

But the trick is to market appropriately; send all customers to your book on Amazon, and refer the librarians to Ingram.
    Be wary of splitting your marketing. You only have so much time to sell books, so you don't wanna spend all day trying to send users to Amazon, Nook, GooglePlay, IS.....
    Focus your marketing on Amazon, and send the Brick & Mortars to IS.