The most basic question from a beginning writer. - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The most basic question from a beginning writer.

Quote Originally Posted by RLBeers View Post
    I began my first in what became a ten-volume series by writing a sentence, "She had legs that went all the way to my libido." That sentence never made the cut, but it did get the ball rolling. After I got a paragraph, I began jotting down single word or a short phrase of what I thought would fit further along. Those thoughts became my outline and I just wrote to reach that goal, one thought at a time.
    Interesting technique, sounds almost like free writing except in fragments. I don't think this would work for me, but it's interesting. What kind of single words/short phrases are we talking? Dialogue? Descriptions? Character thoughts? Plot pieces?
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

"Perhaps I write for no one. Perhaps for the same person children are writing for when they scrawl their names in the snow."

“Remember this: Dumbo didn’t need the feather; the magic was in him. ”

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I once met this fellow who had just graduated with a degree in English from Boulder, Colorado. I asked him what books he had written. He told me none because he didn't have a story to tell. Seems to me that this is the starting point. Without a story or specific subject, "How do you start writing" is just opinion. So have a story and just tell it as if you're writing a long letter to an old friend and telling him.

To be a writer, you need to be someone who is bursting with stories to tell.

My starting point was playing pretend. As a kid I needed toys or props as "avatars" for the story; now I just do it in my head. A few stories are inspired by dreams.

So maybe think back to what you used to play as a kid, and start playing again. Writing is just playing pretend with words.
    "So long is the way to the unknown, long is the way we have come. . ." ~ Turisas, Five Hundred and One

"[An artist is] an idiot babbling through town. . .crying, 'Dreams, dreams for sale! Two for a kopek, two for a song; if you won't buy them, just take them for free!'" ~ Michael O' Brien,
    Sophia House

Christ is risen from the dead,
    trampling on Death by death,
    And on those in the tombs,
    lavishing light.

I found myself always and constantly asking, "What if?"

What if a kid just graduating college, decided to visit his grandfather? What if the grandfather was the family black sheep? I like lighthouses, so... what if Grandfather lived in a lighthouse? Why does he live in a lighthouse? Why is he the family black sheep? What happened to his wife? What is special about the lighthouse? I like clocks a lot, so maybe I can incorporate a huge pendulum clock into the story. Oh, and what if inside the clock, it's the entryway to a secret passage? What is the Grandfather doing? And on and on...

Once I had my main characters kind of "drawn" in my mind, and I had a general aim of where I wanted the plot to go, the story began to drive itself, and became my story, "Ghost Light."
    “We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.” -Hemingway

I've been reading the Starcraft novelizations, and I've been finding them really inspiring. That's interesting, because they are hardly high literature. They aren't even competent pulp. The sentence-by-sentence prose is oftentimes stale. The characters are often two-dimensional. Hell, there's an abundance of typos and grammar mistakes. But here's what they do have that I always have trouble finding in contemporary sci-fi: a sense of genuine wonder. That childish pre-teen joy of reading about psychic bug monsters and gritty space marines are going: "Wow, that's just so cool. I want to write stuff like that!" It puts you back in that mindset of when you first read Dune or watched Star Wars ​for the first time.
    Dead by Dawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    To be a writer, you need to be someone who is bursting with stories to tell.
    That's it exactly. At its core, being a writer is being a storyteller. If you can't tell stories, you can't be a writer, at least not a writer of fiction. I see people all the time saying they don't know what to write. Then maybe this isn't the field for them. I have at least the next 16 novels lined up, with ideas for hundreds of others that I will never get to.

What if......
    “We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.” -Hemingway

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345