Indestructible Villains? Are They Cheap or Thrilling? - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Indestructible Villains? Are They Cheap or Thrilling?

To be honest, Overpowered enemies and in some cases heroes (*cough* superman *cough*), are reasons why I never got into comics. They are overpowered till it comes time for them to loose. and then it's some lame Achilles heel or change of heart, etc.

My stories never tend to get to that level, where the villain or even the protagonist are OP, except for the stories surrounding the Arch Angels that govern the planet my stories take place on. But in most cases they are background or support characters, helping the protagonists in some small way.

The only two OP Characters i've dealt with is:

1. the Warden of Hell, who my protagonist never really fights, he get's defeated after a fight with several secondary characters, then later on the Protagonist gains control of him and pretty much makes sure he doesn't harm anyone else. however in a later book in the series, he shows his OP by pretty much slaughtering half of an enemy city (killing anyone who attacks him basically). and to explain this away, the protag asks him about this power surge and he tells her he was ordered by the Arch Angel of Death to carry out a judgment on said city they defeated, thus given the ability to do so. (Also in a later book, when the warden is about to duel someone, he is ordered by the same Arch Angel to not harm nor kill his opponent)

2. the second is a side story containing all my MCs in one place and some cameos by others. it's just a fun side story, but basically the more advance villains here are OP, but the theme goes that the regular foot-soldiers can be taken out with conventional weapons, with scaling in the Sci-Fi/FAntasy weapons to take on the more higher tier enemies. Such as needing to use energy/plasma weapons on the next tier and full on Mech suits for the larger ones. again, this is just a story for my own entertainment, it also has a bit of self-awareness in some parts, but not something I plan to publish.

this is just kind of ways i've handled OP characters, though in general I don't typically have them. most of my stories as I've mentioned revolve around rather normal characters.
    Last edited by James Wolfe; August 18th, 2019 at 06:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Wolfe View Post
    To be honest, Overpowered enemies and in some cases heroes (*cough* superman *cough*), are reasons why I never got into comics. They are overpowered till it comes time for them to loose. and then it's some lame Achilles heel or change of heart, etc.

My stories never tend to get to that level, where the villain or even the protagonist are OP, except for the stories surrounding the Arch Angels that govern the planet my stories take place on. But in most cases they are background or support characters, helping the protagonists in some small way.

The only two OP Characters i've dealt with is:

1. the Warden of Hell, who my protagonist never really fights, he get's defeated after a fight with several secondary characters, then later on the Protagonist gains control of him and pretty much makes sure he doesn't harm anyone else. however in a later book in the series, he shows his OP by pretty much slaughtering half of an enemy city (killing anyone who attacks him basically). and to explain this away, the protag asks him about this power surge and he tells her he was ordered by the Arch Angel of Death to carry out a judgment on said city they defeated, thus given the ability to do so. (Also in a later book, when the warden is about to duel someone, he is ordered by the same Arch Angel to not harm nor kill his opponent)

2. the second is a side story containing all my MCs in one place and some cameos by others. it's just a fun side story, but basically the more advance villains here are OP, but the theme goes that the regular foot-soldiers can be taken out with conventional weapons, with scaling in the Sci-Fi/FAntasy weapons to take on the more higher tier enemies. Such as needing to use energy/plasma weapons on the next tier and full on Mech suits for the larger ones. again, this is just a story for my own entertainment, it also has a bit of self-awareness in some parts, but not something I plan to publish.

this is just kind of ways i've handled OP characters, though in general I don't typically have them. most of my stories as I've mentioned revolve around rather normal characters.
    I have to admit that if had to create a truly OP villain I'd go for a more Thano's like villain. One that becomes OP graduly instead of being born OP. It's much more fun to see the villain and heros become more powerful over time rather than all at once.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

I don't have a big ego. You just can't comprehend my greatness!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    I have to admit that if had to create a truly OP villain I'd go for a more Thano's like villain. One that becomes OP graduly instead of being born OP. It's much more fun to see the villain and heros become more powerful over time rather than all at once.

and also, when villains like Thanos, despite being a lunatic, there was some reason or logic to his plan, albeit cold and ruthless.

Nah, there's loads of ways to do OP besides the Thanos model. Watch One Punch Man.

OP can be done right, and "normal" and even "weak" characters can be done poorly.

Oreo and Hatter were pretty good examples from that lost sci-fi series of mine (and were co-MCs of the series). Long, long story, but they're engineered Lovecraftian abominations/interdimensional beings/archangels/whatever-you-want-to-call-them OP critters. They've both got heinous powers.

Oreo can warp time, become physically indestructible, has claws that can slice through anything because he's just as physically capable as he feels like he should be at any time. He can also heal damage done to others and make living creatures & food out of thin air. He also likes babies and is great cook, and is one of the most socially awkward, emotionally damaged, quiet people I've written. He once tore his heart out of his chest, ate part of it, threw it on the ground and ran off as a mindless body after a psychotic break (other characters had to find his heart and stick it back in to make him sane-ish again).

Hatter has a lot of crazy powers over darkness, can extinguish any light or mute it to any degree; can warp, mutate, create plagues of magical natures (like "cause you to barf up poisonous intelligent scorpions" or "turn every mammal on Earth into a giant man-eating nightmare beast" kinda plagues); plagues of scorpions sometimes show up in his shadow; has two modes of killing everything: wet and dry (but both kill everything; one just turns it to sludge and melts/mutates everything, and the other turns everything into ashes in short order). He's known to accidentally kill people, cause miscarriages and make people he's unhappy with violently ill. He's an oracle of sorts (everything's a riddle though, and he often confuses what he's supposed to do about said revelations and generally makes the "wrong" choice. This power causes insanity as he can't escape visions, and the visions are both terrifying and incomprehensible), could make items appear from thin air (generally money and candy), and can fall into his own shadow and see out of/travel through any shadow/area of darkness.

Hatter could destroy the planet without much effort, and Oreo could put it to rights with even less effort. Both of them were born intrinsically possessing all of these powers--even if they didn't know they had said abilities and weren't able to control said abilities from birth.

Sound pretty OP, right? That's because they are. Being OP doesn't make them bad characters though. Hatter is the most popular and beloved character I've ever written. Everyone loved this guy. He had his own fan club. He's still one of my favorite characters--and I haven't written him since 2005. People didn't like him because he was OP--they loved him because of who he was.

Hatter's powers were more often than not something that terrified him because the first time he used them in childhood killed thousands of people and got him lost in his own shadow for several months. Both characters are in denial about their powers because reality shouldn't be something anyone can warp (hence they're likely to accidentally do something when emotionally overwhelmed, and also associate the powers with deep emotional scars instead of empowerment).

Throughout the story, both have to come to grips with these powers and learn to use them-- to clean up he wreck the world's become, in part due to their actions. Plot was super convoluted and complicated, but I made it work, and it had the biggest fan base of anything I've ever written. I received some bad advice and hence never published it... and now it's lost... so I've got to rewrite it eventually.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    Nah, there's loads of ways to do OP besides the Thanos model. Watch One Punch Man.

OP can be done right, and "normal" and even "weak" characters can be done poorly.

Oreo and Hatter were pretty good examples from that lost sci-fi series of mine (and were co-MCs of the series). Long, long story, but they're engineered Lovecraftian abominations/interdimensional beings/archangels/whatever-you-want-to-call-them OP critters. They've both got heinous powers.

Oreo can warp time, become physically indestructible, has claws that can slice through anything because he's just as physically capable as he feels like he should be at any time. He can also heal damage done to others and make living creatures & food out of thin air. He also likes babies and is great cook, and is one of the most socially awkward, emotionally damaged, quiet people I've written. He once tore his heart out of his chest, ate part of it, threw it on the ground and ran off as a mindless body after a psychotic break (other characters had to find his heart and stick it back in to make him sane-ish again).

Hatter has a lot of crazy powers over darkness, can extinguish any light or mute it to any degree; can warp, mutate, create plagues of magical natures (like "cause you to barf up poisonous intelligent scorpions" or "turn every mammal on Earth into a giant man-eating nightmare beast" kinda plagues); plagues of scorpions sometimes show up in his shadow; has two modes of killing everything: wet and dry (but both kill everything; one just turns it to sludge and melts/mutates everything, and the other turns everything into ashes in short order). He's known to accidentally kill people, cause miscarriages and make people he's unhappy with violently ill. He's an oracle of sorts (everything's a riddle though, and he often confuses what he's supposed to do about said revelations and generally makes the "wrong" choice. This power causes insanity as he can't escape visions, and the visions are both terrifying and incomprehensible), could make items appear from thin air (generally money and candy), and can fall into his own shadow and see out of/travel through any shadow/area of darkness.

Hatter could destroy the planet without much effort, and Oreo could put it to rights with even less effort. Both of them were born intrinsically possessing all of these powers--even if they didn't know they had said abilities and weren't able to control said abilities from birth.

Sound pretty OP, right? That's because they are. Being OP doesn't make them bad characters though. Hatter is the most popular and beloved character I've ever written. Everyone loved this guy. He had his own fan club. He's still one of my favorite characters--and I haven't written him since 2005. People didn't like him because he was OP--they loved him because of who he was.

Hatter's powers were more often than not something that terrified him because the first time he used them in childhood killed thousands of people and got him lost in his own shadow for several months. Both characters are in denial about their powers because reality shouldn't be something anyone can warp (hence they're likely to accidentally do something when emotionally overwhelmed, and also associate the powers with deep emotional scars instead of empowerment).

Throughout the story, both have to come to grips with these powers and learn to use them-- to clean up he wreck the world's become, in part due to their actions. Plot was super convoluted and complicated, but I made it work, and it had the biggest fan base of anything I've ever written. I received some bad advice and hence never published it... and now it's lost... so I've got to rewrite it eventually.
    hmmmm. I see. So if I can pull off the right kind of OP it just might work out even better for the story. Okay then. I'll have to do some more research on various OP characters in order to flash out my concepts but I'd be willing to take a risk on this series. I mean I am talking about reincarnated Gods & Goddesses from various pantheons throughout history.

hmmmm. I see. So if I can pull off the right kind of OP it just might work out even better for the story. Okay then. I'll have to do some more research on various OP characters in order to flash out my concepts but I'd be willing to take a risk on this series. I mean I am talking about reincarnated Gods & Goddesses from various pantheons throughout history.
    Yup, there's a ton of "OP done right" videos to watch on YouTube.

Nux Taku is particularly known for OP-related videos on anime and manga. He's a total sarcastic, frenetic smartass though, so consider yourself warned. some of those videos are just to troll.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

For myself, I find a villain who cannot eventually be defeated to be frustrating. I have stopped reading books and left films where this was the case. A strong villain, one that takes extreme measure to defeat is fine, it gives meat to the story, but invincible...? No.

If a character can't be killed off, he or she better be damn interesting. I've read books where I couldn't stand a character and wished somebody would kill him... Hey, I think I'll add a character like that to my novel, but he'll definitely be killed off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RLBeers View Post
    For myself, I find a villain who cannot eventually be defeated to be frustrating. I have stopped reading books and left films where this was the case. A strong villain, one that takes extreme measure to defeat is fine, it gives meat to the story, but invincible...? No.
    I suppose i should have clarified that my villain's are not meant to be indestructible as much as they are supposed to be very difficult for the hero's to kill by normal means. Indestructible was just the first word that came to mind when i decided to post this up. Some of the character's will have plot armor but other's will just have invulnerability to death do to there power's, like Baulder with his immunity to anything but mistletoe.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
    If a character can't be killed off, he or she better be damn interesting. I've read books where I couldn't stand a character and wished somebody would kill him... Hey, I think I'll add a character like that to my novel, but he'll definitely be killed off.
    I can see the cogs spinning in my brain already. MWAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345