Indestructible Villains? Are They Cheap or Thrilling? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Indestructible Villains? Are They Cheap or Thrilling?

Quote Originally Posted by BornForBurning View Post
    Antagonists are as powerful as the protagonist's biggest weakness. That's my opinion on the topic.
    Would that apply if the antagonist is a hurricane or a volcano?
    Where you can purchase a copy of Fallen Sun, my second novel. Hidden Content

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do.
    Blog Entries
    Hey, gotta interject with a quick question. What's "OP" mean in this thread here, with regards to super-villains?

(Thanks ahead of time!)
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Pearson View Post
    Hey, gotta interject with a quick question. What's "OP" mean in this thread here, with regards to super-villains?

(Thanks ahead of time!)
    Original Poster. The one who started the thread.

Over-Powered. Kind of self-explanatory.

Take your pick.

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Original Poster. The one who started the thread.

Over-Powered. Kind of self-explanatory.

Take your pick.
    So, as I said, with regard to villains, OP then means Over-Powered? Hmm. Somehow I was expecting something with more 'wow'.

Thanks, Cephus!
    "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
    ~ John A. Shedd

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Megan Pearson View Post
    So, as I said, with regard to villains, OP then means Over-Powered? Hmm. Somehow I was expecting something with more 'wow'.

Thanks, Cephus!
    Actually not overpowered just really hard to kill. Like Balder from Norse Mythology. He literally can't be harmed by anything but mistletoe. He's the kind of villain I was going for, someone that either has only one weakness or they are just extremely difficult to kill. And in the context of the OP I was thinking of making an indestructible golem as a villain. More importantly I was wondering what material I could make the golem out of that would be difficult for the hero's to fight against like Adamantine or tungsten.
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    Actually not overpowered just really hard to kill. Like Balder from Norse Mythology. He literally can't be harmed by anything but mistletoe. He's the kind of villain I was going for, someone that either has only one weakness or they are just extremely difficult to kill. And in the context of the OP I was thinking of making an indestructible golem as a villain. More importantly I was wondering what material I could make the golem out of that would be difficult for the hero's to fight against like Adamantine or tungsten.
    Then play it extra safe and make your own dang mithril. Make something up, make it snappy, make it your own, and then assign it a weakness.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Villains don't have to have powers on the same power scale as the hero. An indestructible villain vs. a super strong hero is kinda regular. You can also do it Jessica Jones style and have your indestructible villain against a hero with an unrelated power, like breathing under water, precognition, or looking like different people.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCalliganWrites View Post
    Villains don't have to have powers on the same power scale as the hero. An indestructible villain vs. a super strong hero is kinda regular. You can also do it Jessica Jones style and have your indestructible villain against a hero with an unrelated power, like breathing under water, precognition, or looking like different people.
    Thanks for mentioning Jessica Jones. That reminded me of this totally-relevant-to-the-OP video on power escalation:

"Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Yeah, I'm sure that's where I heard the comparison. I stopped watching T.V. altogether in favor of YouTube (Hello Future Me, Philosophy Tube, ContraPoints, Lindsey Ellis, PBS Space Time, FermiLab, Joe Rogan...).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234