Which stylistic device is the most commonly used in each of the genres?

Thread: Which stylistic device is the most commonly used in each of the genres?

Which stylistic device is the most commonly used in each of the genres?

Which stylistic device is the most commonly used in each of the genres and why?

What do you mean by a stylistic device?
    Looking for people to beta a chapter or more of my book Modern Punctuation and Grammar: Tools for Better Writing. Go Hidden Content
    As always, useful information you can't find anywhere else.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaSohan View Post
    What do you mean by a stylistic device?
    Figures of speech: alliteration, allusion, anaphora, etc. etc...

I've mostly looked at metaphoricals and grammar & punctuation devices. It seems to me that authors vary enormously in their skills and inclinations. But I've never noticed any trends by genre. In theory, there should be more devices in adult literary, but I don't read that genre much, and I don't remember seeing that. Young adult tolerates more experimentation, but I can find brilliant new things in any genre.
    Looking for people to beta a chapter or more of my book Modern Punctuation and Grammar: Tools for Better Writing. Go Hidden Content
    As always, useful information you can't find anywhere else.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaSohan View Post
    I've mostly looked at metaphoricals and grammar & punctuation devices. It seems to me that authors vary enormously in their skills and inclinations. But I've never noticed any trends by genre. In theory, there should be more devices in adult literary, but I don't read that genre much, and I don't remember seeing that. Young adult tolerates more experimentation, but I can find brilliant new things in any genre.

I second this. It's more an author thing than a genre thing. Some authors pile on the literary allusions and such, and some keep it spare and simple. "Literary" and "classic" literature is more likely to have a lot of funkier, deeper, more experimental stuff, in my experience.

It's kind of like authors resort to creative ways of writing about comparatively normal stuff just to keep the work from getting boring--and hence, in lots of genre fiction where interesting and/or unusual things are going on, there's less of a tendency to really lay on the metaphors. Creativity makes the dull, boring and everyday more interesting--it's like a coping mechanism to alleviate boredom.

Another use of creative language is avoiding censorship, so you find this in prose, visual arts and song lyrics where the author wants to talk about one subject but can't do it directly. This applies mostly to sex, but drug use, other illicit activities have also been explored in this way. Older romance novels used a lot of metaphorical devices to describe sex (and people still use a lot of metaphors in sex scenes, even when they don't have to for censorship reasons, though this may fit into writing everyday things as somehow unusual to keep them interesting). In Japanese visual arts, anti-penis censorship over the centuries has resulted in symbolism in the form of tentacles and elephant trunks/heads appearing where they shouldn't be.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Point of view is the most common stylistic device, as most authors, no matter the genre, have to choose one. Depending on what they choose dictates how much they do/don't tell the reader, how reliable the narrator is etc.
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.