writing exercise from the dimension of sound - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: writing exercise from the dimension of sound

What inspiration? Ideas are two a penny, at least to begin with. You don't have to be a genius to start a story, you just have to be alive and awake and capable of imagining something. Writing isn't about finding some hidden key, it's about realizing the door was unlocked the entire time.

I average one short story each week. Have done since December 2018. Often what I write isn't very good and goes nowhere. Other weeks are wonderful. One week in late February I started and finished and edited two separate stories that are both now being published next month. None of it because I'm 'Casanova' (whatever that even means) but simply because I turn off the television, sit my ass on a chair, and make myself work until something happens. I don't stop until something happens. I also don't consciously try to make something happen. I just think and write and think some more. Eventually I have something.

Literally anybody on here is capable of matching this output...or bettering it. Complicating the process by introducing nonsensical prompts and processes amounts to self-sabotage. Furthermore, I suspect it has nothing to do with inspiration at all but rather a lack of self-discipline.

But carry on, by all means. Don't mean to disrupt the creative flow here.

“I only write when I am inspired. Fortunately I am inspired at 9 o’clock every morning.” - William Faulkner
    Last edited by luckyscars; August 18th, 2019 at 07:25 AM.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Funnily enough while I've never done this specific exercise, music has always been one of my main inspirations. Specifically the couplet "Hail, hail, thou who makes the cosmos wail, in anguish as we fuck the world" has had a huge artistic impact on me. Hell I've made three stories now loosely based off the album Storm of the Light's Bane. So I really don't see any problem with this type of inspiration. Especially when you are very young and it's difficult to come up with ideas because you've seen so little of the world. Many, many creative types cite other creative works as being their main inspiration. Who in extreme metal isn't channeling Quorthon to some extent?
    Though, that forth one is utterly grotesque.
    Dead by Dawn!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    If you need to resort to using an iPod to come up with something as easy as the first line of a story, can I politely suggest that writing may not be for you.
    dude.. I don't need it.... it's just fun to do.
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

Quote Originally Posted by kunox View Post
    dude.. I don't need it.... it's just fun to do.
    Just wanted to stop in and thank-you for the suggestion. Just used another song for a chapter title: Until It Sleeps

"Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12