Social Media can be a POWERFUL author tool!

Thread: Social Media can be a POWERFUL author tool!

Lightbulb Social Media can be a POWERFUL author tool!

Being active on social media is a powerful tool for authors to increase their book’s visibility and connect with potential readers. It is uncanny how often my book sales plummet whenever I unplug from the net for an extended period.

What should authors post on their social media? A common rookie mistake is to repeatedly scream, “BUY MY BOOK.” Newsflash! This is spam and no one likes it. Being too salesy is a huge turnoff to most people and it can even get you banned from some online forums or FB groups - don’t ask how I know this

Instead, you should post meaningful content, including:

• Tips from your nonfiction book,
    • Illustrations/short stories about characters in your fiction book,
    • Links to relevant articles, blogs, or memes related to topics in your book,
    • Milestones such as your first 1,000 book sales or latest book award,
    • Upcoming book signings or speaking engagements, and
    • Occasional book giveaways or price promotions.

In short, post anything that your readers will enjoy or find helpful.

Which social media should you choose? I recommend joining the platforms that are most often used by your book’s target audience. If your book helps corporate executives hone their leadership skills, sign up for LinkedIn. If your book explains DIY home décor projects, Pinterest might be the ticket. Search the internet for typical users of each social media platform and pick the ones that best match your book’s target audience.

Last, I recommend that authors consistently post on social media at least once or twice a week and interact with as many potential readers as possible. Once you establish a relationship with someone on social media, they are more likely to become one of your readers. I hope this marketing tip helps!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Social Media_pixabay 08092019.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	24159
    Mikeyboy_esq
    Check out my books for authors including SMART MARKETING FOR INDIE AUTHORS and 14 STEPS TO SELF-PUBLISHING A BOOK.
    Hidden Content

This post was marketing wasn't it
    Dead by Dawn!

You got me! LOL

I sincerely hope that my weekly posts on this forum about marketing tips and self-publishing tips are viewed by others as meaningful content rather than just unwanted advertisement... at least that is my intent.
    Mikeyboy_esq
    Check out my books for authors including SMART MARKETING FOR INDIE AUTHORS and 14 STEPS TO SELF-PUBLISHING A BOOK.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyboy_esq View Post
    You got me! LOL

I sincerely hope that my weekly posts on this forum about marketing tips and self-publishing tips are viewed by others as meaningful content rather than just unwanted advertisement... at least that is my intent.
    Don't worry, they are

Warning: Be careful with social media because it can become addictive, and it also may interfere with writing.
    My solution to this problem is to strictly partition off my writing from SM. When I star writing at 0400-0715, there are no video games allowed, no social media, nothing that is not writing or publishing.
    If you let the two overlap, then writing will lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Warning: Be careful with social media because it can become addictive, and it also may interfere with writing.
    My solution to this problem is to strictly partition off my writing from SM. When I star writing at 0400-0715, there are no video games allowed, no social media, nothing that is not writing or publishing.
    If you let the two overlap, then writing will lose.
    finding a balance helps, especially when it comes to marketing your work. On a release, I set a month's time frame of marketing with a novel, then no more. That mostly covers sending out ARCs/ soliciting ARCs, setting up interviews, release-day blitz, author takeovers etc. After that, the release is usually on its own, and it's back to writing.

In theory, at least!

Truth!

I usually save the social media for after my brain has gone fuzzy from writing.
    Writing gets my high-end brain power, and social media gets the leftovers.