Support thread

Thread: Support thread

Support thread

Writing is a tough gig and sometimes we get disheartened. Maybe because of staring at a blank page for too long or the writer's block or not enough ideas to move the plot along. This is a thread for everyone to come and support each other.

So, say something nice about the poster above you and if you are struggling with something specific say it in your post so the posters below you can help you.

(Actually, now that I think about it, perhaps this thread belongs in the lounge, could one of the mods move it there please?)

If you're grinding it out, keep going. Everything but a blank page can be fixed in the editing.
    Creative mind and Editing mind: Two different states of being/thinking. Don't try to edit while you're cranking out your idea. Just get it onto the page! Editing comes later. Perfectionism, procrastination, and fear are the thieves of your creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    If you're grinding it out, keep going. Everything but a blank page can be fixed in the editing.
    Creative mind and Editing mind: Two different states of being/thinking. Don't try to edit while you're cranking out your idea. Just get it onto the page! Editing comes later.
    Thank you Amnesiac for your great advice!

I look forward to seeing more of your writing, it's been awhile since you posted in the workshop section.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    Perfectionism, procrastination, and fear are the thieves of your creativity.
    I'm so guilty of this! And for so many different reasons.

Perfectionism - J. R. R. Tolkien, Philip K. Dick, Frank Herbert and other monsters of literature are the ones I consciously / subconsciously keep on comparing my work too. And I shouldn't. I know I shouldn't. But when what I write doesn't live up to their incredible standard (i.e. all the time) I die a little inside.
    Procrastination - Guilty when it comes to challenging scenes, the ones that I need to write, but I don't know where to start so I look for ways to avoid writing them altogether.
    Fear - I get lost in writing and when I wake up I look around and notice, wow what I wrote is so much different to these others. What if they don't like what I wrote? Is their work better than mine? Should mine be more like theirs? (and then my mind runs away with itself)

Thanks, Mish. I appreciate that. As for that inner dialog, I think every artist, whether writer, painter, photographer... We all go through this. Believe in yourself. Your voice is yours, and no one can tell the story you're writing with your unique voice.