A Mystery solved. Minsk Dec 16th 1944

Thread: A Mystery solved. Minsk Dec 16th 1944

This is a flash fiction effort of mine. I posted it here (I think it was here) and, after feedback, entered it for a comp and got nowhere. Possibly, it should be read aloud; for which purpose I have added stage directions. Possibly, the reader has to be of a certain age to understand the tag, or possibly it's in too much of a mental cul-de-sac for flash fiction traffic?

Translated from the Russian - Intellectual property rights to sub-post mistress Handa Parcelova, (Bitcoins accepted)

To be read in strong Russian accents.

Captain Yasha: “Leonid! Why are you on this truck? We are going to the Gulag!”

Leonid: (weeping continually) “Captain Yasha, my good friend. There has been a terrible mistake!”

Captain Yasha: "What have you done?”

Leonid: “Nothing, I was denounced by Ivanovitch. He covets my cherry orchard. He knows without me to administer it; my wife will have to retail it to him at a despicable remuneration. Forgive my tears. Please release me!”

Captain Yasha: “This is truly obnoxious. But I cannot help. I must deliver forty prisoners to be executed. If one is missing, they will execute me in their place.”

Leonid:(Still weeping) “Does it count for nothing that I married your sickly cousin?”

Captain Yasha: “I am truly repentant Leonid, it is fate.”

Leonid: “Why not take the orchard for yourself? We are passing it now. Save me and it is yours.”

Captain Yasha: “This one is your orchard? Train-station whore! Mmmmn, even in the snow I can see it is the most luminous in the valley. But alas I cannot unchain you.”

Leonid: “Wait! Look at this tall stranger trudging in the snow. Let him take my place.”

Captain Yasha: “But he will be missed.”

Leonid: “No, Yasha. He is not from this province, look at his unexpected clothing.”

Captain Yasha: “I will do it because you are family – (mumbling) and not forgetting the magnificent orchard. Give me your identity papers, and write a last testament bequeathing me the orchard. Be quick. I will collect the stranger and throw his papers onto the road for you. You will have to become this stranger. If you are unmasked, we will both be executed.”

Leonid: “That is easily accomplished. I am an educated Bourgeoisie, he is a peasant.”

Leonid climbs down from the Gulag truck, which disappears into the snow with the stranger. He collects the stranger’s identity papers from the road, opens them and reads

Leonid: Major Glen Miller.

Fun dialog...but how did Glen Miller get from the English Channel to Russia in a Piper Cub?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Rotten View Post
    Fun dialog...but how did Glen Miller get from the English Channel to Russia in a Piper Cub?
    Never mind the quality feel the width.

The denunciation of creditors, neighbours for personal gain was common in the Rhodesian bush war and other guerilla wars and believable. Glen Miller is just too obtuse in that setting.

Blog Entries
    I like it but I'd have gone for Lord Lucan

Mmmn, good call. Lucan's profile would be more recognisable, but he wouldn't carry ID if he was on the run.