In Need of an Editor/ Possible Co-Author.

Thread: In Need of an Editor/ Possible Co-Author.

Blog Entries

In Need of an Editor/ Possible Co-Author.

As some of you may or may not know my long arduous journey of research and hard work has come to an end. I've gotten my almost thirty page outline finished and am now on the next leg of my literary career. The writing. My biggest issue that i have is that i need to have a second and possible third pair of eye's to see where i'm going wrong or if i need to scrap or shift a particular scene from one spot to another. Now i've been having some issues lately with my computer dying and trying to find a replacement. I've found one and am ready to get to writing. So does anyone want to go on this epic quest of action, adventure, love and loss with me?
    This might not be my best work but that just means there's room to improve.

Ideally, you need a collab writer not an editor, as editors usually work with a finished script. And with collab writers, they are going to want to see that you will dive in with your side of the writing. You've done an in-depth plan, why not write the first chapter so you have a sample there to show any writer who might want to collab with you? You then not only a have a plan to show them, but a sample of your writing too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquilo View Post
    Ideally, you need a collab writer not an editor, as editors usually work with a finished script. And with collab writers, they are going to want to see that you will dive in with your side of the writing. You've done an in-depth plan, why not write the first chapter so you have a sample there to show any writer who might want to collab with you? You then not only a have a plan to show them, but a sample of your writing too.
    That is a great idea for later on today. I'm off so I can definitely work on it. As soon as i get it done I'll post it up here. So Co-Author would be better? Hmm I honestly find myself thinking about a ghost writer but I have to ask if I supply the ideas and someone else writes them then wouldn't it be better to just go by an agreed upon alias so we both could work on this series and not be in conflict about who writes what?

Man I hate having so many stories stuck in my head. Feels like I'm never going to get them all out without help and with the way my life has been asking for help has almost always lead to nothing but trouble. I guess I'll just have to bite that bullet then. So yeah if anyone I interested in being a Co-Author then let me know. I'll have a sample of my writing up later after get my new computer all set up and ready to go.

If anyone and I mean anyone who'd interested in writing Fantasy, Westerns, Dark Gothic and Lovecraftian Horror, as well as romance and erotica then let me know. I'd really appreciate the help with this megalithic series that I have planned and I have a big feeling that I won't be able to tackle it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    My biggest issue that i have is that i need to have a second and possible third pair of eye's to see where i'm going wrong or if i need to scrap or shift a particular scene from one spot to another.
    Out of interest, why do you believe this is necessary?

There's nothing wrong with collaboration at all (though it's totally different to editing - an editor should be at least somewhat impartial, otherwise they have the same issue the writer does, which is being too close to the work) but it's not exactly the norm, especially for a new writer. There's reason for this, too.

I think a lot of people go into collaborations thinking it will make things simpler by essentially halving the work load and/or doubling the creative input. Actually it seems the opposite is true. Collaboration often results in more time discussing, writing, and arguing than writing because all writers have egos and it's incredibly difficult to rein one's passion in to compromise over something as precious as an idea.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, I just think it's something you want to be very careful and selective about. I think you'd be better off finding somebody you know in real life, who you are sure is at the same level as you and with the same interest and commitment to your story. Strangers off the internet seems very risky.
    "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyscars View Post
    Out of interest, why do you believe this is necessary?
    Because i'm not going to lie my spelling can be atrocious.

There's nothing wrong with collaboration at all (though it's totally different to editing - an editor should be at least somewhat impartial, otherwise they have the same issue the writer does, which is being too close to the work) but it's not exactly the norm, especially for a new writer. There's reason for this, too.
    True. I honestly just feel that I need help with a project this big. Mostly because there are four main ideas that i have stuck in my head to tell.

I think a lot of people go into collaborations thinking it will make things simpler by essentially halving the work load and/or doubling the creative input. Actually it seems the opposite is true. Collaboration often results in more time discussing, writing, and arguing than writing because all writers have egos and it's incredibly difficult to rein one's passion in to compromise over something as precious as an idea.
    Again true. I'm hoping that if i can get others to help out with this universe we can all work together without to much drama but it is inevitable.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, I just think it's something you want to be very careful and selective about. I think you'd be better off finding somebody you know in real life, who you are sure is at the same level as you and with the same interest and commitment to your story. Strangers off the internet seems very risky.
    This i can definitely agree with as well. I'm going to see if anyone does sign up for this and If the're willing to write up some samples as well as see what they want from me out of this little arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojack79 View Post
    I honestly just feel that I need help with a project this big.
    I'll be honest with you here. I can't think on the wider scale of the novel. It's why I don't plan. It's also why I write on instinct, with whichever scene takes my interest that day. I can manage "I've got a scene to write", but if I start looking at the whole novel, thinking about all the chapters, it automatically puts up blocks, and I panic. Thing is, once I sit down and start to write, I'm amazed at how easy it is to get the thoughts out, and what I thought would be a problem, isn't. You've done a lot of research, and that's going to be weighing your mind down now. Think small. Think about writing a scene that you're really in the mood for. Doesn't matter if it doesn't turn out quite: editing will sort that out once you have a complete story. But for now, start small. You might find you can do this on your own better than you think.

I'll openly hold my hands up and say I'm too controlling for collab writing. I have shared worlds with another author, though, where she borrows my characters, I borrow hers, and we combine them into our worlds. That was difficult to do, so I can only imagine what collab writing will be like. There's also a lot off legal tape. My colleague and I share the same publisher, but even there, there were disclaimers and permissions etc to sign.