Let's Write a Novel in August! - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Write a Novel in August!

Was feeling crappy all day. Up to 56,939, but I seem to be moving along. Hopefully, the seriously awkward stuff's out of the way. Can see the light at the end of the tunnel. This one conversation has been going for about 4k now, I think, and it's been the holiest-mother-of-awkward to work through.
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

I wrote for 5 hours today, and finished 3 scenes.
    I don't do word counts.

Tomorrow my protagonist and his new sidekick run into some guy driving Ark II.
    Yes, the one from the TV show.
    And that's not even the strangest part.

Up to 58,005. Added some more on back matter, and worked on longer term aspects of the plot today mostly.

Not even sure I know how scenes are defined. Authors use the term differently sometimes. I've known writers who got, perhaps, a bit too into the scene terminology. Everything had to be just so and easily defined for them. Drove me crazy.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Up to 59,138, and added a wee bit on back matter.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Up to 60,386 on Pinocchio and almost 6K on back matter. Been out camping since Thursday, so I wasn't able to do diddly squat on it til I got back earlier today.

It's weird how the prose has telescoped on me. The rest of the piece was pretty spare in a way. The last 10K has been less than 24 hours. Rest of the book took 2 years in-world time for that 50K. Although, I guess more than half the length of the book has taken place over two months now, so the telescoping may not be a change in voice so much as a picking up in the pace of important character interactions. If it was more action-y, it'd make more sense, but this is my big foray into something with a more episodic format and not necessarily a big narrative climactic push (though I'm working on sticking one in anyway).
    Last edited by seigfried007; August 11th, 2019 at 07:05 AM.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

I've stil not managed to start yet. My lord... it's hectic! You guys are doing great, though!

62,185 so far tonight on Pinocchio. Added almost 2k today--and it's all one chapter. There have been some amazing exchanges between these characters in these past few chapters. Really feel like they're showing their true colors now. Was weird to write a chapter with almost nothing from the protagonist in it--it's pretty much all Pinocchio and the protag's wife chatting about really important stuff.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    Up to 60,386 on Pinocchio and almost 6K on back matter. Been out camping since Thursday, so I wasn't able to do diddly squat on it til I got back earlier today.
    If you had one of these, you could write anywhere.
    I even write when I'm snow camping at 9600'.

I'm supposed to be waking up in 40 minutes... but I've pulled an accidental all-nighter writing.

Up to 66,532 for Pinocchio. 3 whole chapters and two big, fancy sex scenes that I totally hadn't planned. They were supposed to be watching the evening news. That was plan for what to write today, honest. Crazy characters
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Up to 67,890 on Pinocchio. Added one new chapter. I've finally got them on the couch, but now that they're where I'd planned them to be chapters ago, I can't remember what all needed to be said/heard/watched on that couch. I'd been really excited about writing more with Jasper at the time, but I'm going to have to remember or make up all new snappy one-liners, great speeches, etc. Love said character, but he's a trip to write.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast